No announcement yet.

Refurbing Audi RS2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a quick chat with a parts guy at the dealership today who's helped me a few times previously with bits 'n bobs. Looks like there's no chance of getting a front wing from Audi again, the front parts of the lower door trims are showing as backorder and suspected they are NLA. The drivers door trims could be ordered.

So yeah, parts availability is getting harder, I mean no front wings? A car could be written off over a minor shunt!

I'm happy to go 'OEM+' on some parts which helps, you could get a heat shield fabricated for example if you can live with it not looking exactly right! I have a Wagner EM and Intercooler, Samco boost/coolanthoses all round for example - good tweaks and only a committed enthusiast would know any difference after a bit of a poking under the bonnet - and have a good functional improvement on the originals.
    AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
      I had a quick chat with a parts guy at the dealership today who's helped me a few times previously with bits 'n bobs. Looks like there's no chance of getting a front wing from Audi again,
      Wow, that is bad news. It's definitely getting harder. I replaced my front wings when I did my cosmetic make over, that was only 2013. Some of the parts I bought this time were covered in dust from Germany and was told loads of times 'that was the last one' I can understand that with some running gear bits, but not bodywork. I wonder how many new bumpers are left?

Comment

so these wings aren't OEM?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...Text=&_sacat=0

Comment

Nope

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ColonialNomad View Post
            Missing bit of trim
            I've found this bit for you

http://trshop.audi.de/konakart/Selec...ING&model=0001

Comment

Indeed, so any thoughts about the quality of these panels?

Comment

And remind me not to click links to audi tradition while browsing audi tradition lest I see yet again "This page has expired
                You have requested an expired page. This error can occur if you use the "Back" button on your browser."

All interesting as I'm doing a few things to my RS2

Comment

I had a quick chat with a parts guy at the dealership today who's helped me a few times previously with bits 'n bobs. Looks like there's no chance of getting a front wing from Audi again, the front parts of the lower door trims are showing as backorder and suspected they are NLA. The drivers door trims could be ordered.

So yeah, parts availability is getting harder, I mean no front wings? A car could be written off over a minor shunt!

I'm happy to go 'OEM+' on some parts which helps, you could get a heat shield fabricated for example if you can live with it not looking exactly right! I have a Wagner EM and Intercooler, Samco boost/coolanthoses all round for example - good tweaks and only a committed enthusiast would know any difference after a bit of a poking under the bonnet - and have a good functional improvement on the originals.
                  The lower trims that go on the wings have been nla for a while, but they are on Audi tradition. And an 80 front wing is almost the same as the RS2 wing apart from some extra slot holes for mid trim and lower audi badge. These can be brazed filled.
                  Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

I'm looking at either Audi 80 wings with the extra holes filled, or giving the eBay special a go, by the looks of it then! Best have a word with Ish
                    AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Isn't Carbondesign (a forum sponsor) making those lower trims in carbon fiber???

I don't know the status of this, but I know he was working on it, so perhaps even if you have to wait a bit, you should be able to get all those again no problem...

Plus being that they are carbon fiber, they should hold up well over the years and not warp like the factory parts. All these parts are sold primered anyways, so they will need to be painted to match your bodywork.

A lot of the other little stuff like interior trim bits are shared with an 80/90 chassis car, so they are quite common to find second hand. The foam in the door panels is a common issue with all Audis of this vintage and is easily corrected by a good auto upholstry shop. You can order the OEM alacantra in sheets from the Audi dealer!

Those speakers are definitely not OEM, but who knows, they might be better. They look like JBL speakers?

Overall, your RS2 looks to be in quite good shape. Trust me, we've all seen much worse!

Comment

Originally posted by LGK6D View Post
                        This part is notoriously hard to get, plus you should have a plastic duct from the bumper that connects to this. It fills up with crud, salt water and leafs all it's life and rots out. It's been NLA for quite some time, but I'm guessing everyone with an RS2 needs one these days. I've been thinking about putting some pressure on to Audi Tradition for parts like this and also the heat shield above the exhaust. We're going to need to work together to keep these cars on the road.
                        Perfect timing!
                        I am going with a Mocal 19 row unit so I do not have any use for the OEM coolers (whether 3B or AAN). One of my dealers is doing composite work on the side and is making me a duct out of CF from bumper back to the cooler. He can redo these in CF for the RS2 but will need a sample.
                        Mine was going to cost me about 50 Euro's!
                        Issam N. Abed
                        iABED Industries
                        iABED Email | Facebook
                        The build thread

Comment

Originally posted by c4S6 View Post
                          Isn't Carbondesign (a forum sponsor) making those lower trims in carbon fiber???

I don't know the status of this, but I know he was working on it, so perhaps even if you have to wait a bit, you should be able to get all those again no problem...

Plus being that they are carbon fiber, they should hold up well over the years and not warp like the factory parts. All these parts are sold primered anyways, so they will need to be painted to match your bodywork.

A lot of the other little stuff like interior trim bits are shared with an 80/90 chassis car, so they are quite common to find second hand. The foam in the door panels is a common issue with all Audis of this vintage and is easily corrected by a good auto upholstry shop. You can order the OEM alacantra in sheets from the Audi dealer!

Those speakers are definitely not OEM, but who knows, they might be better. They look like JBL speakers?

Overall, your RS2 looks to be in quite good shape. Trust me, we've all seen much worse!
                          Thanks - this is the first RS2 I've driven, let alone owned. I have no baseline to compare it to.

I had a chat with Carbondesign and, to his credit, he suggested I source single pieces of trim from Audi as his pieces were designed as part of a set.

You're correct about the rear speakers being JBL. The rear tweeters also appear non functional BTW...

Wow...thank you!! I tried looking for it on there but hadn't had much success yet. Why the heck is it under that part of the site and not cross referenced under the Audi section...?

Two more things to add to the list in addition to the rear tweeters after I took it out for a run into Kent:
                          25) Rear tweeters non functional
                          26) Rear right hand passenger window doesn't wind.
                          27) There are large clouds of blue smoke hanging in the air at start up that go away after the engine has warmed up. There are puffs out the back under hard acceleration so I'm suspecting the turbo needs looking at also. (Thought this might be oil valve seals but had those replaced.)
                          Last edited by ColonialNomad; 1 March 2015, 17:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard-of-OD View Post
                            Perfect timing!
                            I am going with a Mocal 19 row unit so I do not have any use for the OEM coolers (whether 3B or AAN). One of my dealers is doing composite work on the side and is making me a duct out of CF from bumper back to the cooler. He can redo these in CF for the RS2 but will need a sample.
                            Mine was going to cost me about 50 Euro's!
                            Given carbonfibre is a hand laid process for the most part, I'm surprised that the part is costing you less than 50 euros!

Too bad your contact can't manufacture RS2 wings and bumpers out of carbon fibre, huh? I bet a back bumper would be a lot less than the £1500 quid Audi tradition sold their last OEM example for.

Comment

This part is notoriously hard to get, plus you should have a plastic duct from the bumper that connects to this. It fills up with crud, salt water and leafs all it's life and rots out. It's been NLA for quite some time, but I'm guessing everyone with an RS2 needs one these days. I've been thinking about putting some pressure on to Audi Tradition for parts like this and also the heat shield above the exhaust.
                              Aww, that's a shame. Its the sort of thing carbon fibre would lend itself to, however.

We're going to need to work together to keep these cars on the road.
                              Hear hear! I suspect the cost of maintenance will drive prices up if nothing else. Noone will be selling these cars at a loss.

Comment

Originally posted by ColonialNomad View Post
                                Given carbonfibre is a hand laid process for the most part, I'm surprised that the part is costing you less than 50 euros!

Too bad your contact can't manufacture RS2 wings and bumpers out of carbon fibre, huh? I bet a back bumper would be a lot less than the £1500 quid Audi tradition sold their last OEM example for.
                                It is costing me about 50 euro's , not sure what a production run would be but there are options.

As for wings/bumpers , He actually can! He currently does B5 RS4 components so RS2 should not be too far off.
                                Issam N. Abed
                                iABED Industries
                                iABED Email | Facebook
                                The build thread

Comment

Working...
                                X