No announcement yet.

Refurbing Audi RS2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really? I'd be inclined to unbolt all my OEM wings, bonnet and bumpers, to save them from any damage or corrosion in the future, and fit carbon fibre replacements. Not only more impact resistant and lighter but I won't have issues sourcing replacements in the event something does happen.

Comment

Refurbing RS2

Hey! I put your accelerator pedal in at No 25

Oh well I guess it will have to go in at No 28 on your list

I think I will have to get a list going on mine, buy the way I have the same orange s*!t filling up my door pockets.

Comment

Shouldn't an RS2 have forged wishbones? Not 100% sure but I think so.. The one in your pic is a pressed steel one. Might even be the wrong part which might explain the wheel position.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

Hole in the steering wheel cowling was probably something to do with an immobiliser sensor or LED

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ColonialNomad View Post
            Really? I'd be inclined to unbolt all my OEM wings, bonnet and bumpers, to save them from any damage or corrosion in the future, and fit carbon fibre replacements. Not only more impact resistant and lighter but I won't have issues sourcing replacements in the event something does happen.
            Yes
            lets focus on the oil cooler duct though.
            Issam N. Abed
            iABED Industries
            iABED Email | Facebook
            The build thread

Comment

I would say the hole in the steering wheel cowling would have been for a stereo remote/stalk. The whole will be for the wiring, you can see the mounting points and make out the outline.
              The rear speakers arent standard either.
              1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
              1995 Audi RS2

Comment

Originally posted by Golfboy666GTI View Post
                I would say the hole in the steering wheel cowling would have been for a stereo remote/stalk. The whole will be for the wiring, you can see the mounting points and make out the outline.
                The rear speakers arent standard either.
                Those are standard 80/90 B3/B4 parts, so easy to find from any dismantler. I am curious about the carbon fibre intercooler ducting.

That sounds like something that would be of interest to quite a few folks!

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                  Shouldn't an RS2 have forged wishbones? Not 100% sure but I think so.. The one in your pic is a pressed steel one. Might even be the wrong part which might explain the wheel position.
                  I must admit I looked at the wishbone and thought 'pressed steel'? On an RS2?! But didn't give more thought to it after that as I figured that bit might be Audi 80 given it fitted. I'll have a look at the other side tonight and take a pic for comparison.

Originally posted by Golfboy666GTI View Post
                  Yeah I thought so too. Haven't found anyone that does aftermarket stalks yet. Most of the controls on offer are steering wheel mounted.

Comment

I know Sony did the stereo controls that mounted on the cowling, I believe they were called "Joggles" if memory serves.

edit:
                    Okay scratch that, they had the more grandiose title of "Rotary Commander" no less.

Just like this:

Last edited by Nuvo; 2 March 2015, 19:01.

Comment

Nuvo, your photo isnt working.

This is what I was thinking of:

http://www.polarnight.co.uk/blog/wp-...ony-rm-x4s.jpg
                      1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
                      1995 Audi RS2

Comment

"Rotary commander"...sounds like a sex toy. Er...allegedly.

Comment

Anyways, I guess the next question is whether it might be compatible with the new head I have...the Pioneer DEH-X8700DAB no less. Seems like I'm going to need some kind of adapter.

Comment

Originally posted by ColonialNomad View Post
                            "Rotary commander"...sounds like a sex toy. Er...allegedly.
                            Yesh, posshibly.

Comment

We have a place called Crutchfield that sells wiring kits for just about any car you can imagine. You could also check out Enfigcarstereo.
                              http://enfigcarstereo.com/

I guess I miss the older more conservative looking radios from Alpine and Sony.

That Alpine is a 7909 (older flagship model), which had a solid copper chassis and dual Burr-Brown DAC's. Fully competition head unit. Excellent fidelity. No alternator whine on that baby!

The Sony is a MD player, which unfortunately never took off. I thought the format was brilliant.

Comment

This is the rotary commander...

Actually, I like it. looks like it would be pretty useful for cars that don't have any steering wheel controls.

Comment

Working...
                                X