No announcement yet.

Refurbing Audi RS2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to have one of those "rotary dildo" things from Sony but it was never actually attached to the steering cowl. It was in a car I bought and the stereo was a Mini Disc player. I also could never understand why they didn't quite take off. Smaller than a CD, as good quality and also you could record easily on to them. Almost impossible to damage as well and you could store loads in your car.

Bizarrely, although it sits in the corner and is unused, my old little hi fi thingy has a MD on it. I must have a sub conscious fetish for them.

Comment

Originally posted by c4S6 View Post
      We have a place called Crutchfield that sells wiring kits for just about any car you can imagine. You could also check out Enfigcarstereo.
      http://enfigcarstereo.com/

I guess I miss the older more conservative looking radios from Alpine and Sony.

That Alpine is a 7909 (older flagship model), which had a solid copper chassis and dual Burr-Brown DAC's. Fully competition head unit. Excellent fidelity. No alternator whine on that baby!

The Sony is a MD player, which unfortunately never took off. I thought the format was brilliant.
      Cheers! I had an MD player once - I agree it was a great format. But Sony already know from betamax that being a great format is no guarantee of success.

Originally posted by Nuvo View Post
      Yesh, posshibly.
      lol

More shots - this is the near side front wheel. Clearly the other side has been replaced with a newer wishbone but oddly enough, no receipt for it in the file...hmm.

Right hand rear

Left hand rear - the one where the squeal is coming from.

Also saw this plastic shield which I thought was hanging off but it seems solidly attached.
      Last edited by ColonialNomad; 2 March 2015, 22:14.

Comment

Just one general question... Not that your car is ColonialNomad... But, just in general, I've seen a lot of rust issues in the UK, which seem surprising. Is that from the ocean air or something?? Just seems surprising given the relatively mild climate there.

We seem to coat everything here with salt all winter long and I don't see corrosion as bad on the newer cars.

Just wondering what in the UK is the cause.

And, yes, I also bought an HD-DVD player. I just can't win.
        Last edited by c4S6; 3 March 2015, 05:23.

Comment

This would be a good choice if you wanted to rig up that "Roatary Commander" joystick again.

Sony CDX-5490

These were all nice Japanese built units.

Comment

This would be a good choice if you wanted to rig up that "Roatary Commander" joystick again.

I've bought the hifi and I'd much rather have something modern and useful than have too many compromises in order to look the part. I might change my mind in the future but I don't have much nostalgia for the mid nineties.

Comment

I see on the right hand rear your fuel tank tin work has rusted through like mine. Anyone know how to find an alternative?

Comment

Originally posted by Veg View Post
                I see on the right hand rear your fuel tank tin work has rusted through like mine. Anyone know how to find an alternative?
                I was planning to ask about that too...and I didn't know the name for it either. Carbon fibre perchance...? :d

Comment

They are definitely NLA, and not on Audi tradition last time I checked.
                  I made one by combining an S2 one with an RS4 one.

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showpos...5&postcount=72
                  Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

I've been thinking a bit more about the front wheel alignment. I thought the knocking sound would be the CV joint but I'm wondering now whether both the alignment and the knocking might be caused by the top mount bushing. Any thoughts on that, gents?

Comment

Just one general question... Not that your car is ColonialNomad... But, just in general, I've seen a lot of rust issues in the UK, which seem surprising. Is that from the ocean air or something?? Just seems surprising given the relatively mild climate there.

We seem to coat everything here with salt all winter long and I don't see corrosion as bad on the newer cars.

Just wondering what in the UK is the cause.
                      I thought it might be salt on the roads also. Are you sure your roads use salt and not glycol? Salt and grit get sprayed across roads with reckless abandon here. Ocean air isn't so much an issue for those living 10 miles inland but the Gulf Stream means there's quite a bit of rainfall here.

Comment

Originally posted by ColonialNomad View Post
                        I thought it might be salt on the roads also. Are you sure your roads use salt and not glycol? Salt and grit get sprayed across roads with reckless abandon here. Ocean air isn't so much an issue for those living 10 miles inland but the Gulf Stream means there's quite a bit of rainfall here.
                        Oh, trust me... It's salt. We had snow today and my car is literally covered in the stuff.

I use the good automated car washes and am thankful for Audi's corrosion protection. My allroad is much newer and I think they got better at it as they went on... And, the majority of the suspension components are all aluminum now, which helps too.

Gas tanks are plastic, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by ColonialNomad View Post
                          I was planning to ask about that too...and I didn't know the name for it either. Carbon fibre perchance...? :d
                          I saw the article of combining the old and new tin work but I do like the idea of carbon fibre. Wonder how easy it would be to get made? I suppose remove the old and use them as a buck. Between us we may have enough metal left!

Comment

I saw the article of combining the old and new tin work but I do like the idea of carbon fibre. Wonder how easy it would be to get made? I suppose remove the old and use them as a buck. Between us we may have enough metal left!
                            Carbon fibre makes so much sense for some of these NLA items. I understand there are a few companies around the Sheffield and Derbyshire area that do cf fabrication for formula 1 and motorbikes. I wonder if a group buy might tempt one of them into fabrication...? I'll have a chat with someone I know and if it comes to anything I'll set it up.

Comment

I'm in!

Comment

I'm in!
                                OK so the contact I have apparently makes carbon fibre bits and pieces for remote control aircraft. So cosmetic stuff may be OK but structural probably not.

Also, is the fuel tank brace unique to the RS2 or is it from an Audi 80?

I've tried looking for part numbers but I have no idea what the intercooler ducting looks like and there doesn't appear to be a fuel tank brace that is the same shape as the one on my car...
                                Last edited by ColonialNomad; 5 March 2015, 13:28.

Comment

Working...
                                X