80q b4 2.2 20vt project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Grillage View Post

I couldn't get my N75 to click in test mode either unless the car is running. It's not properly powered with just the key on.
    I had mine backward - had to invert in VEMS to make it work right
    Ok, have to try it out with engine running, thanks for the tip. In fact I would like to use a 4-port MAC valve so I can get the boost to hold to the redline. Now it's tapering down from 2 to 1,2bar.

I was trying this style of 2-port WG control with mechanical boost tee, but it seems to not work very well. Boost spikes over the limit at high gears. Don't know how it would perform with an electric 3-port valve though?

​​

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
    Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
    BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
    BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

I couldn't get my N75 to click in test mode either unless the car is running. It's not properly powered with just the key on.
      I had mine backward - had to invert in VEMS to make it work right
      Got this resolved. Didn't work with pin 6(EC36) when I had the engine running and switched on the boost control testmode, the whole engine started to pump the rpms up and down. Nothing came to the N75 connector. It affected the ISV. Saw also from old pics that pin 6 was earlier used for the ISV, I have it deleted and using ignition based idle, works perfect. Pin 17(EC36) is the right one for boost control. At least in this setup. And yes, engine must be running to get the test work.

Next need to get the wheel speed working. Maybe not even hardware in this ECU for it to work..?

Will also try out a new intake cam. Reground from 7A to 230deg and 10,4mm lift. Setup with stock 7A exhaust cam and reclocked should be quite close to Cat Cams 1012339 http://www.catcams.com/products/cams...nguage=english

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Originally posted by Thuppu View Post
        Next need to get the wheel speed working. Maybe not even hardware in this ECU for it to work..?
        Where did you take the wheel speed signal?
        1989 Audi 80 Quattro
        1994 Audi 80 Quattro Competition

Comment

• Originally posted by M2ki View Post
          Where did you take the wheel speed signal?
          On my setup, I have the wheel speed sensor at EC18-8
          1994 Cabriolet - 5 speed
          1995 90
          2011 A4 Avant
          1990 CQ - V8 (sold)

Comment

On my setup, I have the wheel speed sensor at EC18-8
            I meant where is the signal from, abs sensor, gearbox sensor or cluster speed output?
            1989 Audi 80 Quattro

Comment

• Originally posted by M2ki View Post

I meant where is the signal from, abs sensor, gearbox sensor or cluster speed output?
              My setup is a V6 B4 that I have swapped an AAN into - so take this with a grain of salt. I pull it from the G22 VSS via T10 - the black 10 pin connnector. My wiring diagrams show it as a brown/red wire at Pin 8 Pages from Audi 90 Electrical Wiring Diagrams 1993.jpg
              1994 Cabriolet - 5 speed
              1995 90
              2011 A4 Avant
              1990 CQ - V8 (sold)

Comment

• This is also a B4 V6, and basically an AAN, so the motronic 55 ECU connector(car side) should have the VSS signal in pin 50. But as this VEMS ECU is quite old, I suspect there isn't any wheel speed wire connected from the connector to the ECU board? Would have to open it and check.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

This is also a B4 V6, and basically an AAN, so the motronic 55 ECU connector(car side) should have the VSS signal in pin 50. But as this VEMS ECU is quite old, I suspect there isn't any wheel speed wire connected from the connector to the ECU board? Would have to open it and check.
                  Pin 50 must be connected to cluster speed output. 10V squarewave. If you swapped aan harness into B4 do you even have that connection?
                  Also vems speed input is 5V max. Watch out for not burning it.
                  1989 Audi 80 Quattro

Comment

• Yea, thats also a problem, because harness swap isn't done by me. But according to the previous owner everything is done in the harness. Does AAN motronic even work right without the speed info? This have been rolling with an motronic before me.

Soo, Vems doesn't work with stock audi VSS signal, even with the zener protection?

http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?pa...r%2FWheelSpeed

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Soo, Vems doesn't work with stock audi VSS signal, even with the zener protection?

http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?pa...r%2FWheelSpeed
                      Mine does - just wired it directly in - here's my settings that get the VSS to show same as speedo:
                      Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 1.35.55 PM.png
                      1994 Cabriolet - 5 speed
                      1995 90
                      2011 A4 Avant
                      1990 CQ - V8 (sold)

Comment

• Ok, thanks. Those are totally different settings than what I have. Will try them.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• He is using gearbox sensor directly, you probably have cluster speed output wired if there was motronic in use before.

But there is no point in guessing, take the multimeter and check continuity between pin50 on ecu and between T10/8 and T10/9
                          T10 is circled in red.

Last edited by M2ki; 14 December 2018, 21:52.
                          1989 Audi 80 Quattro

Comment

• Aah, yes, me, stupid. Yea, have to check those, and also the ECU internals.. thanks.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Today it happend! The turbo did blow. I may have lost the whole turbine... Didn't take it off yet, though. It doesn't build any boost at all, the compressor wheel doesn't spinn freely when turning it with the hand, in fact it doesn't spinn at all when engine is on. Sounds that something is in the exhaust and also my 3" exhaust valve is stuck open. Also quite big amount of blue smoke comes from the exhaust.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Oh dear. Sorry to0 hear that. Good luck with the repairs
                                Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                                20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X