This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large IC install/pluming

Im going to attempt to fit one of these 780x300x76mm Intercoolers.

There is various threads on here that show how they can be plumed in but i am going to try to do the piping a little different because id like to keep the Aux Rad for now .

I am going to try running the Exit pipe to Boost pipe back behind the IC under the Cam Pulley and then straight up at the left. The Pipe work will look something like this:

IMG_2603.jpg

The separate sections will be welded and the right side (IC Exit) will have another elbow welded to it so that it connects to the IC with a 60mm IDA Silicon Elbow
    Last edited by s2_bo; 17 December 2007, 14:30. Reason: typo in title :O
    91 S2 coupé - RIP
    98 S8 - Luxury barge

nice one bo i'm thinking of getting the same
    one for my urs4 only it's £15 cheaper
    coz i only live 18 miles away
    p.s bo
    are the bottles underneath for water injection
    1. SHORT SHIFT KIT
    2. PORSCHE CAYENNE CALIPERS
    3. H & R SPRINGS
    4. BILSTEIN SHOXS
    5. NEW BUSHES AND HP2 STRUTS
    6. UPRATED HIGH OUTPUT COIL PACK
    7. ,3" turbo back s/s/ exhaust
    8. fmic fitted

Comment

The input side will be connected to Turbo and DV using the Samco hose that is already in place. I just need to work out how to get the 60mmODI/54mmIDI Samco to fit over the 60mm IC inlet.

IMG_2606.jpg

The Xmember will be made out of a length of 40mm box section stainless steel. With 5mm SS plates for the fixings and the hangers to the IC.

So far i have spent £120 on the IC and £40 on the Stainless steel.
      91 S2 coupé - RIP
      98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Originally posted by topsparky View Post
        p.s bo

Sounds good. - The are defiantly good quality IC's.

P.s. i was wondering how long it would take for someone to make a remark about my support bottles.. Didnt think it would happen so quickly though
        91 S2 coupé - RIP
        98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Originally posted by s2_bo View Post
          Sounds good. - The are defiantly good quality IC's.

P.s. i was wondering how long it would take for someone to make a remark about my support bottles.. Didnt think it would happen so quickly though
          glad to be of service bo
          1. SHORT SHIFT KIT
          3. H & R SPRINGS
          4. BILSTEIN SHOXS
          8. fmic fitted

Comment

Originally posted by topsparky View Post
            p.s bo
            There's not enough room behind the urS4 bumper for even a small intercooler let alone one that size! I'm planning on using an S6 bumper to try and gain a little more space but even then I'll have to use a considerably smaller intercooler than Bo's!
            '93 S4 Avant now back on the road complete with new shiny go faster bits.

Comment

They are so cheap it's worth it!

Just fitting is a problem. I've got plans for a charge cooler and have finally identified the perfect one. :mischeif:

All I need now is the cash Booooooooooooooooooooo!

Comment

Whats the verdict on this IC? - The pipework would be so much easier.
                91 S2 coupé - RIP
                98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Waiting on a tuner to respond! Deffo be easier but whats the flow going to be like?

Comment

That's the one I am thinking of getting Bo but it's even wider than the one you have gone for! That chap does a slightly smaller one with inlet and outlet on the same side but the only one he has is sightly damaged.
                    I measured up this morning for the large one with inlet and outlet on both sides and reckon it will fit. I like you really don't want to lose the aux rad and also don't want to mess around with the oil cooler duct.

When do you reckon you will be able to get the cross member by and is there any chance of you getting me one for the same time?? Sorry to be a pain but I'm itching to get this installed.
                    I was meant to be going out driving tomorrow morning with some mates but the fact that my intercooler is lying helplessly on the garage floor means I am having to play passenger (oh well I get to go out in a 600bhp RUF GT2 )

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                      Waiting on a tuner to respond! Deffo be easier but whats the flow going to be like?
                      I'm no pro tuner but do spend my days working on flow modelling within pipes!

Flow wise, the down side is that you have a sudden change in direction within the cooler. The air velocity (I have no idea what it is within the boost pipes) will dictate how harmful this is to flow.
                      However, you get a dual pass unlike a straight through left to right cooler so it should be slightly more efficient in terms of heat exchange.

I think I am going to go with this one though purely because if the ease of plumbing it in.

Comment

Bo, you should be able to stretch the 54mm Samco over the 60mm tube, I'm using a piece of straight Samco hose from CM to Inlet tube where the michelin man tube used to go and it pretty easily stretches up a size.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dpicariello View Post
                          I'm no pro tuner but do spend my days working on flow modelling within pipes!

Flow wise, the down side is that you have a sudden change in direction within the cooler. The air velocity (I have no idea what it is within the boost pipes) will dictate how harmful this is to flow.
                          However, you get a dual pass unlike a straight through left to right cooler so it should be slightly more efficient in terms of heat exchange.

I think I am going to go with this one though purely because if the ease of plumbing it in.
                          Agree with this.
                          Im no expert but I know this is not a good design in terms of pressure loss. Cant find the link ATM but there was a good article on IC designs and this type was not favoured at all due to the air having to do a complete U turn on entry/exit to the IC..

Comment

Bo, if this works you can do kits of Pipes and Crossmembers for others too. Thats my problem too. I wanted one of those IC but with the rad in place and the stock IM.
                            Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Originally posted by merlin's S4 View Post
                              There's not enough room behind the urS4 bumper for even a small intercooler let alone one that size! I'm planning on using an S6 bumper to try and gain a little more space but even then I'll have to use a considerably smaller intercooler than Bo's!
                              it's about the same size as smog fitted to his
                              check audifans matey
                              1. SHORT SHIFT KIT
                              3. H & R SPRINGS
                              4. BILSTEIN SHOXS
                              8. fmic fitted

Comment

Working...