This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Billman View Post
    Bo, if this works you can do kits of Pipes and Crossmembers for others too. Thats my problem too. I wanted one of those IC but with the rad in place and the stock IM.

Yeah no reason why not.

Im taking all the Stainless to the Metal shop behind work on Monday. He can then give me a price and some sort of a time scale, hopefully it won't take to long.

@ Dpicariello. Yes mate, no problem. once its finished ill let you know the total price inc Steel and welding.

@ newsh. Thanks for that, will give it a try. IIRC the hoses also stretch a fair bit further if you get them hot with boiling water first.

Cheers guys.
    Bo
    91 S2 coupé - RIP
    98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Right, just measured the vertical distance between inlet and outlet pipes (inlet on the intercooler and outlet on the cross member pipe) on the standard ABY intercooler. It measures 160mm. The intercooler with inlet and outlet on the same side has a core height of 12" and therefore a radius of about 150mm.
      So the radius is 10mm tighter on this intercooler than the standard one in effect.

So it's not as bad as I first thought with this type.

Intercoolers on ebay in this style only come in 790mm lenght versions which is bloody big but he does do a medium version (I have emailed him asking for availability). I reckon this would fit perfecty and require just two 90deg peices to connect the pipes.

If Bo can get the cross member sorted (cheers for that Bo) then thai could be an easy option. However, I'm interested to see how the big one will be fitted as that does look fantatsic.

Keep up the good work Bo!

Comment

Resistance is increased by the length of the path through the IC, double pass IC has more resistance than single pass but also a single pass has more cross sectional area so less resistance for this reason too. In terms of a pipe: Double pass = twice as long, half as wide. Single pass = half as long, twice as wide. ( for the same overall core size and discounting the extra plumbing for the single pass) I'm not really up on fluidics so I don't know if thats 2x2 or 2squared..

I was looking at these double pass units too, thinking it would be so much easier but I think the single has to be way more efficient.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
          Resistance is increased by the length of the path through the IC, double pass IC has more resistance than single pass but also a single pass has more cross sectional area so less resistance for this reason too. In terms of a pipe: Double pass = twice as long, half as wide. Single pass = half as long, twice as wide. ( for the same overall core size and discounting the extra plumbing for the single pass) I'm not really up on fluidics so I don't know if thats 2x2 or 2squared..

I was looking at these double pass units too, thinking it would be so much easier but I think the single has to be way more efficient.
          Good point,

I think that the cross sectional is squared and multiplied by the drag coefficient for drag

I tell you what, (putting flame suit on) I'll model both methods in a fluid package I have at work . May be a bit extreme (and quite geeky) but could give a better idea of losses because this really is a simple install.

Comment

This all looks rather interesting. Damn this site for making me spend all my money!

Bo, once you get a price of crossmembers and have checked the fit, please let us know

Nice work all, the site appears to be awash with analysis of the technical aspects of "S2 playing about with". Nice!
            Cheers'en, AndyC
            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

The "intercooler king" as he calls himself on ebay replied and tells me that he won't be getting any medium sized intercoolers with inlet and outlet on the same side anytime soon.
              Not ideal, I may see if I can get the big'n to fit but it's nearly 800mm wide

Comment

This is the sort that is more efficient:

SS

Comment

Good find Stu, that does look a better design. Any ideas where to get one from?
                  Pricey?

Comment

Originally posted by topsparky View Post
                    it's about the same size as smog fitted to his
                    check audifans matey
                    Yeah I've seen smog's intercooler thread on audifans and I'm impressed, but it's not as big an intercooler as the one that bo's using and smog had to chop the bumper more than I would like to. Even the Apikol FMIC (www.apikol.com) for the urS4/S6 isn't that wide and it's regarded as the best upgrade for our beasts. 034 motorsport are also selling them now but I've spoken to Brendan at apikol and we don't think it will fit behind even the European S6 bumper let alone the S4 because it's 3.5" deep! The American models had much deeper bumpers!

@JAMO Where have you found a decent chargecooler? I've been looking for a good one for some time as an alternative to the S4's "interheater".
                    '93 S4 Avant now back on the road complete with new shiny go faster bits.

Comment

Originally posted by s2_bo View Post
                      Yeah no reason why not.

Im taking all the Stainless to the Metal shop behind work on Monday. He can then give me a price and some sort of a time scale, hopefully it won't take to long.

Bo
                      It must clear the oil Cooler duct and must fit without too much hustle with RS2 Front bumper.

I am asking too much?
                      Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Originally posted by Dpicariello View Post
                        Good find Stu, that does look a better design. Any ideas where to get one from?
                        Pricey?
                        Yeah. Maybe a bit pricey, but here is another link to give you some more ideas.
                        SS

Comment

Originally posted by merlin's S4 View Post
                          @JAMO Where have you found a decent chargecooler? I've been looking for a good one for some time as an alternative to the S4's "interheater".
                          PM me not for forum eyes!

Comment

BUMMER!!!!!

Managed to get my 9" deep one mounted to the standard xmember today

With only one inch drop from the main body of the xmember the bumper still wont go on

Looks like a new x member is in order here too...... Unless I can lose an inch in height somewhere along the line. Contemplating snipping the flat spot weld section off the bottom, Drilling two big holes in the top and mounting it like that too the crossmember with no brackets at all........ Just to lose that little bit of height, lots of washers needed though to spread the on the inside of the xmember........

Hmmm will give this a go tomorow if the snow is not too deep!!!!
                            Dark Grey Avant
                            RS2 FARB
                            Powerflex Front wishbone bushes
                            Alloy Subframe Bushes

Comment

Getting there...

If only if would stop raining...

IMG_2623s.JPG
                              91 S2 coupé - RIP
                              98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Last one for now, More to come when its finished..

IMG_2617s.JPG
                                91 S2 coupé - RIP
                                98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Working...
                                X