X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by s2_southwest View Post
    Looks excellent Bo.

Im amazed everytime that the std bumper fits over all of that. Did you have to cut any of the bumper internally?

It would like to do one about 3/4 of the height of yours to leave a gap between that and the aux rad. Might contact the seller to see if they can make some other custom sizes. Overall a 100% improvement over the standard x-member pipework and joints.

If you can wait a week or so Matt, I'll post some pics of the intercooler that I am about to install.
    It's not quite as tall as Bo's (looks quite modest in comparisson) but may not require as much work to install.

Just waiting on a cross member that Bo is sorting for me and then will have to make up a bit of pipework to suit.

Dan

Comment

well done on this one bo. Nice route for the pipework too, keeps aux rad in place too. Maybe I shouldnt have sold my one after all
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

yes that is very nice! Good work. Now in oder to have the oil cooler Duct allmost in place the right inlet of the IC should be welded in another position? What do you think?
        Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Yes that's true billman, That would solve the oil cooler duct issue. I don't think its worth the hassle though.

Took ithe out for a proper thrashing tonight and the oil didn't get any hotter than normal.
          Also, there's plenty of space to the left side to make a different shaped duct for the cooler.

Breakdown of total costs:

IC: from ebay's own Intercooler King.
          £120 Inc shipping

Stainless Steel:

1.4 meters of 3mm thick 40mm box section
          4 x elbows 3mm thick 60mm OD
          2 meters of 3mm thick 60mm OD pipe.
          1 sheet of 5mm 20cm x 30cm
          Total £50 (i think) inc shipping.

1 x 60mm ID silicone elbow
          £12 Inc shipping.

20 x Genuine 55 - 70mm jubilee clips (£59p each - Zinc plated not SS)
          Total £12

Tig Welding:
          Building Xmember & welding Pipework.
          £25

Gran total: £220 ish...
          91 S2 coupé - RIP
          98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Looking good mate!

Just a pity more of the intercooler isnt showing to aid cooling more, but i like the way it looks stock.

Craig
            Audi A6 AEL 5cyl Quattro breaking.
            Audi A5 3.0tdi Quattro Stage 2

Comment

Ok dan look forward to that!!

Finetubes @ estover would be a good place to get some ally tubing, nice and lightweight!
              Pearl white 91-S2-3B K&N cone air filter - Home made induction pipe work - 18" RS4 replica alloys - Yokohama Parada Spec 2 rubber - Colour coded body work - Bilstein/H&R suspension - s/s 3in turbo back Longlife exhaust - SFS water hoses - Samco boost hoses - RS2 FARB - RS2 eyeballs - Squeaky interior trim & 2 bar!

Comment

Originally posted by s2_bo View Post

I used to get 1.4 - 1.45 bar and now its peaking at about 1.35

I think the IC is to big for the K24 - good thing that i'f got a K26 on the way
                too big why would it be too big?

Comment

Originally posted by Audi_CQ View Post
                  too big why would it be too big?
                  Pressure drop, when fitting a larger intercooler there's more air space to fill inside it by the turbo charger. If the turbo can't fill it quick enough over the pipe length / volume space you get a pressure drop.

Hence my mantra you can have too big an IC.

Bo is going to RS2 setup though so it's needed.

Comment

http://www.s2forum.com/photoplog/ima...0__Medium_.JPG what you see in the picture intake mainfold I would liket to buy one, could you be so kind to help me in this matter?

Comment

The stainless pipe is 3mm thick? Thats pretty heavy. Can you get thinner stuff? 1.5 or 2mm should be plenty thick enough, I would think.

I'd like to order a crossmember if you're thinking of having some made

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                        Pressure drop, when fitting a larger intercooler there's more air space to fill inside it by the turbo charger. If the turbo can't fill it quick enough over the pipe length / volume space you get a pressure drop.

Hence my mantra you can have too big an IC.
                        No you don't get a pressure drop with a large IC. A too small one would get you a pressure drop.
                        A large one will give you a bit more lag (because there are a little bit more volume to fill), but no drop in pressure

Comment

No you don't get a pressure drop with a large IC. A too small one would get you a pressure drop.
                          A large one will give you a bit more lag (because there are a little bit more volume to fill), but no drop in pressure

Can you explain how you came up with this "theory" Roger?!!! Jamo is correct!

Comment

I think your find Jamo is right here,

You are right about the lag as the turbo is going to have to fill the volume of the intercooler.

You really want a intercooler that will maximise cooling efficiency, minimise pressure drop. So to small is going to be usless any way!
                            Right air from the turbo is passed through core allowing heat to dissipate. The larger the core area the grater the loss. But equally a lager core will cool more air. (you need to create a equal medium)

resistance of a standard one could be say .05kg/cm2 at 1.2kg/cm2 of boost but the larger you go the bigger the drop.
                            Also you have to add the resistance of the pipe work

Hense reverse inlet manifolds
                            Last edited by terrybullwon; 19 February 2007, 21:14.
                            Chef

Comment

just a small question... would the ic be more efficient if it was longer rather then taller? as u would get more air passing more of the ic? it made me think because half the ic is getin blocked by the bumper/ number plate.
                              cheeRS adam

RS2+

Comment

Originally posted by terrybullwon View Post
                                I think your find Jamo is right here,
                                eeeehhhhh, no

You are right about the lag as the turbo is going to have to fill the volume of the intercooler.
                                Agree

You really want a intercooler that will maximise cooling efficiency, minimise pressure drop. So to small is going to be usless any way!
                                Agree

Right air from the turbo is passed through core allowing heat to dissipate. The larger the core area the grater the loss. But equally a lager core will cool more air. (you need to create a equal medium)
                                Not 100% sure about "equal medium". Thinking about cross section of the IC?

resistance of a standard one could be say .05kg/cm2 at 1.2kg/cm2 of boost but the larger you go the bigger the drop.
                                Here I don't follow you
                                Lets look at IC's as pipes: Would you say that a small pipe has less resistance then a bigger one?
                                About drop you got it right in that the pressure will drop, but not because of resistance. As the air cools it gets denser and takes up less room. Pressure drops, but amount of air is the same. This is the IC's main function

Also you have to add the resistance of the pipe work.

Hense reverse inlet manifolds
                                ( ,but the pipe resistance would be the same independent of IC size... )

Originally posted by s2dude View Post
                                Can you explain how you came up with this "theory" Roger?!!! Jamo is correct!
                                I'll try:
                                The turbo will deliver about the same amount of air independent of IC as long as the IC isn't so small that it becomes a major restriction (cross section inside IC is much smaller then other pipework) Agree?

The turbo will deliver most air when the resistance is as small as possible. Large short pipes and IC's with large cross section has the smallest resistance for a given amount of air. Agree?
                                (Going too large on pipes and IC's would of course at the end be giving more lag then the gain in smaller resistance could justify)

When the turbo deliveres the most air it will also deliver the highest pressure in the inlet manifold. Agree?

So as earlier said the only pressure drop a large IC will create is that as the air cools it gets denser and takes up less room and the pressure drops. The amount of oxygen would be the same, but in a smaller volume and therefor making it easier to get the oxygen into the cylinders. This is the IC's main function

Was that understandable or.... ?

Cheers,
                                Roger

PS: This is my IC:
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X