No announcement yet.

K24R Offset Solid Top Mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about this (there is a slight gap for machining tolerance)...
    Attached Files
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by driftin jo View Post
      ...The top nut also has a nylon lock ring in it so it cant come loose . ...
      The nut in my scheme is a cut down all metal lock nut (the oval style), that won't come loose as I know from my experience with promounts
      Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
        The top retaining ring / cover looks pretty elaborate? wouldn't a simple pineapple ring that bolts through to the mount body beneath a la 2Bennett be easiest and most effective?
        This is almost exactly what I have. Didn't see the 2 Bennett stuff till after my design, funny how they're so similar.

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
        Or use studs with retaining nuts like 99% of "normal" pillowball type topmounts?
        The BMW top mounts are much larger diameter so there's more room for some M6 mouting bolts, God alone knows why Audi went the direction they did, it's a crap design but one that we have to work with.

As earlier, drilling holes in this area doesn't seem a good plan to me. The only thing I might think about is a small anti-rotation dowel towards the outer edge.
        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

having just been looking at a junk topmount in the garage, you're right there isn't anywhere near enough material / space for studs.
          I don't think there is a structural issue with drilling holes in the turret, although not going to be to everyones taste i'm sure.

The revised body shape looks good Andy
          Could you radius the the top chamfer and use a marginally oversized rubber compression ring to seat the mount securely in the turret and provide a good level of anti-rotation friction?
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

2.5" ID (~63mm) O ring with .21" thickness (~5mm) would do nicely It wouldn't take any load when crushed down but will locate the top nicely, and for <10% of the price of a machined poly effort.

The top plate is pre-drilled for the cap to fit on. by adding 2 off 3mm holes to the strut tower, you could use some M3 grub screws for location
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Rusty; 10 November 2010, 12:00.
            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Are these available yet?

Comment

Not yet, I will be ordering the first batch in the new year, had some manufacturing delays recently.
                Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

excited to see these
                  Justin
                  1990 Audi Coupe Quattro= http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46309
                  1991 Audi 200 20VTQA= http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54410
                  1987 Audi Coupe GT

Comment

Me too!!! Been waiting ages to get the funds together to make the order.

I have one tester lined up and am looking for another 1 or 2...
                    Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

count me in once we're into March / April time dude, Christmas has taken its toll on my finances
                      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Andy do you think it will be possible to also use the rear brackets and bars on the front for us guys that don't have a stock bar, obviously having your mounts on all corners

Just getting ideas in my head as I patiently wait
                        Justin
                        1990 Audi Coupe Quattro= http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46309
                        1991 Audi 200 20VTQA= http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54410
                        1987 Audi Coupe GT

Comment

Yeah, sorry about the wait, I'm still waiting for the prices to come through so I can sort the orde.r..

The bar bracket design would have to be modified nut other than that, there's no reason why not...
                          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

You would need to use a longer bar on the front than on the rear, or have longer pickup brackets, I don't know if that is what you mean Andy?
                            Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                            Sold ABY-stock

Comment

It would be a custom bar. There are several aspects of the design that would need altering but it's no biggie.
                              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Right, just about to get the quote through for these and thus get a price on them. I have a feeling that things will have gone upwards a bit Anyway, I'm looking to send a few sets out to people for feedback and testing. I have 1 interested party and am looking for another 1 or 2 to get involved. Please PM me or email
                                Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Working...
                                X