No announcement yet.

New S2 Avant Nothelle N300 owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Dave, apologies I didn't get a chance to respond to your PM.
    As Robin suggested i think you need to try to isolate the problem.
    The circular connectors themselves can be a source of problems with corrosion or tarnishing on the terminals. You can remove them by popping out the centre pink retainer in the connector.
    I have a variable resistor which I use for testing in the same way that Robin suggested, you can do this at the bulkhead side of the circular connector and also at the gauge cluster connector to try to narrow down the problem. Have you tried to continuity check from the gauge cluster connector to the sender connector? Symptoms are of an open circuit or high resistance of a damaged or burnt wire.
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
      Hey Dave, apologies I didn't get a chance to respond to your PM.
      As Robin suggested i think you need to try to isolate the problem.
      The circular connectors themselves can be a source of problems with corrosion or tarnishing on the terminals. You can remove them by popping out the centre pink retainer in the connector.
      I have a variable resistor which I use for testing in the same way that Robin suggested, you can do this at the bulkhead side of the circular connector and also at the gauge cluster connector to try to narrow down the problem. Have you tried to continuity check from the gauge cluster connector to the sender connector? Symptoms are of an open circuit or high resistance of a damaged or burnt wire.
      No problem Alex, I guessed you were busy and I wanted to see if I could fix it myself. It's not rocket science! Well hopefully not.
      I have done sender to round plug but I haven't tested from the round plug to the gauge yet. I will do that tomorrow. I have a box of spare relays collected from many Audi's over many years and I'm sure I will have one to use as a tester as suggested.
      Thanks everyone for all the advice. As usual this forum is brilliant
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Just measure the fitted sender. As long as its got a measured low Ohms reading then it going to be easier to use. Just one terminal on the G straight into the connector. Saves havving to ****** about with another wire!

Comment

• On a short drive I noticed a light knock from the front strut area. As everything is new I was concerned so had a look under the black cover. There has been some play there. I took off the large cap and found this.

So, I’m thinking it might be the Febi bushes. Did Autodoc supply the correct ones?
          For peace of mind I bought some new ones. The green HD Meyle ones.

I also found that some owners in Canada put neoprene washers under the big yellow washer to reduce this. This is the biggest I could find so cut it into a ring and it slotted in nicely underneath.

The Febi bushes look slightly taller and fatter than the Meyle. I will see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Nothelle S2 Avant
          Black Ur project
          Ocianic Ur project gone
          S2 Coupe project gone
          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Hopefully this will stop it rubbing my new paint off!

Nothelle S2 Avant
            Black Ur project
            Ocianic Ur project gone
            S2 Coupe project gone
            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• I had a terrible rattle on my Competition too. I cut out circles from a gym floor mat and put them in. Nice and quite after that Shame the car just sits in my front yard rotting away by the Urs6... I drive the S6 now and again though. Need to get the compi sorted!
              Audi 80 Competition -94 Daily driver

www.garaget.org/fish for more pic´s of my cars

Comment

• Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
                The green HD Meyle ones.
                Where did you get them from, Autodoc again?

Comment

• Originally posted by John. View Post

Where did you get them from, Autodoc again?
                  Yep, febi ones came from Autodoc. I've deleted my account with them. Not using them again, EVER!
                  You think you are getting a bargain but cheap is no good when they keep sending the wrong stuff and don't want it back!
                  Nothelle S2 Avant
                  Black Ur project
                  Ocianic Ur project gone
                  S2 Coupe project gone
                  Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Although this sounds rather obvious, it may be that simply asking for a top-mount similar to the original is not enough. Perhaps ask oneself what mount characteristics would be most desirable? For example descriptors such as a particular brand name, price range, colour, height, and even country of origin, are often heard but these are not discriminating enough; if a long-term solution is being sought. Less often discussed but more worthwhile would be factory-correct fender-turret mount receiver cup fit, demonstrated absence of NVH (noise vibration and harshness) and high load capacity over time, vertical mount failure prevention and avoided future costs. To not choose with these in mind is to repeat an experiment in which (30 years on!), the outcome is well known.

Further, given that all OEM type top-mounts are not created equal, but that they all do fail early, what if several repute-ables were tested for peak load capacity and durability, the best one (and the latest original factory-fitted mount) was reinforced to increase its service life, and then it was tested for a few years by fellow forum members (zero failures so far)?

Ergo Strut-Stops - when you're ready to get off the top-mount carousel.
                    Last edited by Lago Blue; 21 October 2021, 17:36.

Comment

Yep, febi ones came from Autodoc.
                      ….and the Meyle ones came from where?

Comment

• Originally posted by John. View Post

….and the Meyle ones came from where?
                        Mr Auto. Been very good so far. Part of the PSA group.
                        Nothelle S2 Avant
                        Black Ur project
                        Ocianic Ur project gone
                        S2 Coupe project gone
                        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Mr Auto. Been very good so far. Part of the PSA group.
                          Cheers.

Comment

• Finally I fixed my oil pressure gauge issues. After getting another aux gauge to test that end, I had the same issue. I have now tried three different second hand senders to no avail. The wiring now all tested good so I was still scratching my head.
                            I was going to buy a new sender from TPS but they are on back order and will be £100 plus vat when they do come in.
                            I got this Intermotor one. It’s a straight fit and looks good quality. Fingers crossed it lasts. It was £29.

When fitted, everything was working as it should. Phew.

There is a diaphragm in the sender. My theory is that this perishes over time, approximately 25 years to be precise!
                            Hence, three apparently good second hand senders were all broke.

Just the wheel bearing issue to fix now.

Nothelle S2 Avant
                            Black Ur project
                            Ocianic Ur project gone
                            S2 Coupe project gone
                            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Great news Dave!
                              I’ll order one of those for the Cabby which has the same symptoms

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by newsh View Post
                                Great news Dave!
                                I’ll order one of those for the Cabby which has the same symptoms
                                Cool. I'm well chuffed. Don't buy it from KMS as their stock is incorrectly marked up. They do know and were withdrawing the listing. I will send you the link where I got mine.
                                Nothelle S2 Avant
                                Black Ur project
                                Ocianic Ur project gone
                                S2 Coupe project gone
                                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Working...
                                X