20V CQ Tidy Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
    Got some POR15 Black Velvet high temp paint coming this week for the block and maybe the exhaust manifold.
    I used the POR15 engine enamel, you paint the block in normal por15 then top coat it with the enamel.

Works great, my block is super silver still

Comment

• Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
      have you fitted those bloody wheels yet? I am dying to see them on the car!
      Haha.. Nope... Can't afford to put tyres on them just at the minute, and no way I am fitting cheapo rubber!

Jamo I'm going to base coat in normal POR15 then topcoat with this as didn't want to spend £30 on enamel just for the engine so will use this blackvelvet as a topcoat
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Right - the big strip down has begun, with a view to getting the car ready for a couple sessions at Combe for ADI in a months time.
        List of jobs to do is pretty long so i won't go into too much detail but basically:

Complete the battery relocation to under the rear bench
        Sort out some rusts bits and clean the engine bay up
        Weld in repalcement lower rad mount
        Fit 6 gearbox
        fit ABY / ADU steering rack
        Fit "new" engine
        Fit replacement rad
        fit 3B oil cooler
        Replace some hoses, and other tired bits
        Get alignment done (again)
        And a bit of spit a polish before the big day

So...... place your bets now.. will I do it or will I "Wolf It" ??
        Last edited by Error404; 13 September 2010, 19:18.
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• some pics:

Engine out - would have taken the box out at the same time but didn't have a load leveler. Will use one on the refit to make life easier

Engine bay stripped: still need to drop the gearbox, subframe and propshaft

Bye bye battery tray:

Bit of rust to sort around the rack mount, and a bit more on the other side where the inner wing joins the turret:

More pics in a few days of shiney new parts
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Holy crap Thats a lot to get done in a month! Good luck though
            sigpic
            1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
            1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
            1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

• I'll pick up the clutch alignment tool friday

Comment

• wicked thanks mate, much appreciated

I'm thinking i might need to pull a couple sickies over the next few weeks...
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Good work and good luck, how much time do you actually have to work on it? After work etc.
                  Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                  Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• At the rate you work alex i'll see it running at the weekend

Comment

• haha..this is how normal people work, you're just used to seeing Madwolf in action Pete
                      i guess i've realistically got 5 days seeing as i don't get evenings working 12-14 hour days

In my head i have 2 days for sorting the little bits of rust and tidy up / paint engine bay, 2 days reassembly and 1 day for shake-down / alignmnet / set-up and niggle fixing

got almost everything i need for reassembly, just waiting on some parts from TPS and a couple other helpful forum members, cheer guys
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Nutter!
                        The Perfectionist
                        sigpic
                        Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

• Error will you stay n/a with the "new" 7A? or are you 3Bing it?
                          - Looking for a S2
                          - Lancia Dedra HF turbo i.e. (4sale)
                          - Typ89 Coupè quattro, 20Vt AAN, VEMS, K24-7000@1.3bar (scrapped )

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                            Bye bye battery tray:
                            So thats what that corner looks like

Are you going to add the two strut/firewall braces from an S2, i would if i had your welding abilities. I would also like to double skin/reinforce the drivers side inner wing there the steering rack bolts to. On my CQ you can see that panel flex as you wiggle the steering.

Cant wait to see this when its finished, keep the pics coming
                            91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                            93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                            94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

• Staying 7A. for now.........

Mark I was thinking about adding two bits of box section to triangulate between the turrets and firewall on either side - its tricky on the driver side as need to leave access to the servo bolts and the rack nuts if its lower down - need to be able to get a spanner in there. I was also worried about setting fire to the sound deadening and whatever ever else is on the other side of the firewall

There is a big brace that comes off the chassis leg to reinforce the rack mounting area,

another triangluar brace could be added across to the firewall - i might do something about these bits, see how i get on time wise next day off i get - need to get the rust removed and order some paint..

engine build-up is looking good. Got the exhaust manifold on and just waiting on a water pump gasket and crank bolt so i can fit the belts then start bolting on the ancilliaries.
                              Need to make a blanking plate for the turbo oil return into the thermostat housing. more pics to follow soon

Oh and anyone know if this cable is the power feed to the fuse board from the battery?
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• done a bit of work this evening - welded in two bits of 30mm box section to brace between the turrets and the firewall

5hite quality phone pictures i'm afraid

Then I used a PU seam sealer from 3M to seal around the strut brace mounts and the welds on these new braces.
                                got rid of the rust with Bilt Hamber Deox gel. Next step is to POR15 over these bits and the braces, primer then rub down for the base coat...
                                Indigo ABY coupé
                                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                                X