20V CQ Tidy Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
    Cheers guys, its been a lot of work to get the running gear all how i want it and with help from other forum members with parts and expertise
    Looking forward to driving it properly now without feeling like the skipper of a laden trawler

Still got some bits of bodywork that need tidying up, but almost everything is sorted now before starting on the quest for more power and an extra gear. Also on the look out for an RS2 grill and RS2 FARB and got a few more nice factory extras waiting in the wings, plus theres a couple of special / custom parts I'm waiting on ATM.

I've also got a solution I'm working on for a separate handbrake / 4 pot rear brake arrangement that will work with stock handbrake cables and be a bolt on with a little bit of work
    Make your own grill i mean mine looks ok not perfect but i didnt spend that long making it and i know you would do a great job..

Comment

• you got any pics dude? I was thinking about doing that
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• This is a picture of said item. Just cut out all the slats. Then smooth them of with the super dremel.. or a bit of sand paper. This leaves you with four odd holes down the side from the slats you cut away, fill them with some filler of some sort. sand blar blar blar job done.. Only diffenence is mesh isnt the same ( mattig mk 5 golf mesh i brought)

Also the raised lumps on the bottom edge i have kept so i can screw the mesh to the back of the grill easy.
        Then just bend your bonnet popper bit down soi you can reach it like a normal type bonnet..
        Yeah ok mine looks a bit scabby now but i did it about six years ago i recon and also at the price i have seen some rs2 grills sell for its worth trying..

This make any sense to ya i ask because beer is still pumping through my vains from yesterday.lol
        Attached Files

Comment

• looks good mate... I'll get hold of another grill and give it a try
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• I have a spare grill -

@ niel - thats what was done with the grill on my blue s2 by s2dude, you can get some good results doing this

Comment

• I know i'm after it

your old one looked great Pete
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Just had the car aligned by A-line in Dudley - highly recommended BTW. The guy Kev took a long time getting all the settings as close as possible to the factory settings, not just in the "green". Camber and toe are within 3 minutes of the factory spec and within 1 minute of balance side to side
                Even he was surprised how good he got it
                Car now feels 100 times better and rides really nicely on the Koni and H&Rs - comfortable and firm.

Still not happy with it however
                There is a very dead spot in the centre of steering, can only describe it as being loose around the straight ahead. this means there still isn't much confidence throwing the car around, which as we know is one thing these cars should do well. Quick direction changes are unpleasant and feels like the car lags behind the steering input. So overall, much improved but still not perfect. Keen to drive another well sorted coupe to see how another one feels. EVERYTHING is new now, except the rack... which is next on my list... looks like the engine is coming out then

We'll get there.......
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Hey Error 034 has a short ratio steering rack which may solve your problem. Its pretty pricey though so maybe you can modify your own. Heres the link anyway.... http://www.034motorsport.com/chassis...udi-p-817.html
                  Justin
                  1990 Audi Coupe Quattro= http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46309
                  1991 Audi 200 20VTQA= http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54410
                  1987 Audi Coupe GT

Comment

• LHD only, and already looed into modifying mine. Need new rack and pinion remanufacturering.
                    I will just fit an ABY / V6 rack which is quicker than the 7A / 3B coupe anyway at 2.6 turns
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• How much of a pita is it to swap a rack with everything else in the car?
                      Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                      Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Massive if not impossible
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                          How much of a pita is it to swap a rack with everything else in the car?
                          it would be easier to get Jordan a number single

See AndyP's project thread for swap details

Comment

• Ok thanks guys, will leave that as an upgrade to be done with the clutch.
                            Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                            Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Right. i've bitten the bullet and the engine is coming out.
                              Main reason being that I've got a nice ABY rack to go in and replace my original knackered pile of junk.

Also found myself a sweet low mileage 7A to repalce "Old Smokey" that currently resides in my engine bay and is now going to be evicted after 20 years in situ. The new 7A is sweet, still clean inside
                              A couple of tweaks - fitting a 20vt windage tray, 20vt oil thermostat housing and 3B oil cooler to help in track.
                              Then a bit of paint and all will be good!

Battery tray will be removed and battery moved the my ABY battery box under the rear bench.
                              Got a few bits of scruff in the engnine bay that need tidying, and everything will be thoroughly degreased and cleaned up.
                              Still can't decide whether to fit my 6spd box or not....
                              Should work well with the 7A as fist five ratios are similar to the 5spd, but with the longer 6th gear for cruising. My 5spd is showing its age but still ok... just more work to sort it all out really, swapping subframes, props etc To be decided...

Pic of the sump inside - CLEAN!

Fitted 20vt Windage tray:

Refitted painted sump:

Got some POR15 Black Velvet high temp paint coming this week for the block and maybe the exhaust manifold.
                              All the ancilliary brackets, IM and cam cover are being painted up silver same as sump. Going to be nice when its done
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• have you fitted those bloody wheels yet? I am dying to see them on the car!
                                The Perfectionist
                                sigpic
                                Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Working...
                                X