Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I use the jack to steer the back end instead of pushing back and forth to get the angle I need.

Comment

• I always get excited when i see this thread get updated! Keep on it tommy! you'll be done in no time!

Comment

• Cheers Dave. I really do want to finish this sometime this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by saltinot View Post
          I really do want to finish this sometime this year.
          Now we're talking

Comment

• This is 'Murica after all...

Comment

• Extremely well done, I admire the patience Would you mind pass me the parts number for the RS2 headlight trim? Cheers from a fellow RS2-owner!

Comment

• Greetings from the southern US and thank you for your kind words.

The part numbers for the trims are as follows:

Left 8A0853207C GRU
                Right 8A0853208C GRU

A few pictures can be found at RS2/S2 Headlight trim comparo
                Last edited by saltinot; 10 March 2015, 23:46.

Comment

• So, the RS2 is on the lift again and I had some time last night to play with a few things.

The first thing was the parking brakes. I have had everything in place except for the one part that has eluded me for years.......the pressure spring. It went NLA years ago and it is 100% necessary for a functioning parking brake. I must thank my Dutch friends Hemanio and his brother for giving me this spring while I was visiting them back in December. I was in Eindhoven working and they drove to my hotel, a 30min ride for them, and picked me up. We went directly to their garage where their RS blau RS2 sits and walked around it and under it talking RS2 talk. While underneath I mentioned that I needed this spring and could never find one. Well, to make a long story short they had one. So thanks to them I am able to finish the parking brakes.....finally!

The part number for the spring is 8A0 711 369.

So to detail the part a little for future generations I snapped a few pictures with it next to a ruler. Maybe it will help someone one day source similar replacement from the hardware store.

Anyone with an RS2 will tell you that the parking brake system is rubbish and adjusting it is useless, but I had pretty good luck with my trial run last night. I test fitted the spring but still need to pull it all apart again to install my rubber boot on the body. I also have a question about the routing of the brake cables. I'll be pulling it all apart again soon to facilitate the installation of the fuel tank anyway.

This is what is looks like installed on the rod linked to the hand brake lever. Now I am pretty picky about things looking new so before anyone asks.......no I am not refinishing the spring.

Adjusting procedure as per the RS2 Service supplement.

Comment

• RS2 parking brake cable routing.

I couldn't remember how the cables were run so I guessed. Can someone tell me if they cross or do they run straight?

Also, regardless of if they cross or not the cables a touching the sharp edge of the body. Is this normal or is there something else I need? See below.

There is your part number by the way. They are the same left and right. Just to the left of the number is where the cables touch.

Comment

• No, the do not cross. And no, they do not do only one 90deg bend. Can't remember exactly the middle part of the route. But if you start routing from the brakes, they will be held on the lower wishbone with a "cloth", then do 90deg and then another "cloth" on the body of the car in the wheel well. Iirc, the middle routing should avoid the fuel tank and exhaust as much as possible (=you should be able to fit the cables after the tank & exhaust).

Edit: Found a picture with the front cloth mount in the wheelwell here. It's just above the left end of the abs cable clamp.

Edit2: A nice picture with the brakes & upright etc removed. And if you know what you're looking for, check this out.
                      Last edited by kymi; 4 March 2015, 23:40.

Comment

• Wow-this is just amazing rebuild

Comment

• Nice to read the rebuild continues! Thanks again btw for the tips on the headlight trims. I order them at Audi Tradition last year who had them in stock. When you look for them on RS2's, a lot of cars don't have them on (anymore?).

I'm about the do something about the bad paint condition of the brake calipers on my RS2. Any tips on that? Would you paint or powdercoat?

Comment

• Hi Tom, I had my car on the lift so I snapped a few photo's of the e-brake cables. Hope they help.

Comment

• Talk about clean underneath!
                              Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
                              2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
                              2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
                              1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                              1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

• Very helpful! Cheers Dave!
                                Last edited by saltinot; 20 March 2015, 12:49.

Comment

Working...
                                X