This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheers for the link Andy

I'm using that oil in mine and going to put some in Helen's S4 sometime soon, definitely makes the box smooth as silk
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• The new one. I also spent much longer setting the linkage this time, I think that made a difference too.

I was using this one before

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-973-fuch...eline-oil.aspx

Fully synthetic is definatley better.
      sigpic
      1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
      1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
      1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

• Also got to have a drool over this whilst I was up at Automarks

http://www.sb-racing.com/

750bhp RS6 engine with twin GT28's, carbon fibre everywhere including the gearbox bellhousing, very trick. Still has some S2 parts in there too, rear diff used on the front and S2 hubs used all round.
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by AndyP View Post
          The new one. I also spent much longer setting the linkage this time, I think that made a difference too.

I was using this one before

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-973-fuch...eline-oil.aspx

Fully synthetic is definatley better.
          Thats the stuff im using, you have me worried now, better change it asap.

thanks...
          91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
          93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
          94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

• Awesome video - the guy makes what is a difficult job look really easy...2 hours labour to do the job - brilliant. I suppose with another hour to strip out the box from the car garages shouldn't be charging the earth for a service, etc!
            4 Rings Rule.......Everytime

1984 80 Quattro B2 - Project Car
            1996 S2 - ABY 6 Speed - Pride and joy
            2003 A2 TDI - Economy

Comment

• Hey Andy, just read about your tuning woes, I have to say it sounds all too familiar when using JE's. I've heard lots of people complain there CR are really high even though low comp pistons were purchased, myself included. Its a bit out of order really, it leaves no other option other than to compromise on the final build up using comp dropping gaskets even though the motor was specced and blueprinted correctly. annoying hey.
              2000 B5 A4 Quattro Sport ~ 2.0 20V GT30R ~ Gone
              1993 S2 ABY Coupe ~ Gone
              1989 2.2E Coupe ~ Gone

Comment

• Originally posted by S2 EDS View Post
                Awesome video - the guy makes what is a difficult job look really easy...2 hours labour to do the job - brilliant. I suppose with another hour to strip out the box from the car garages shouldn't be charging the earth for a service, etc!
                The cost escalates massively once you start replacing bearings, they are almost all unique to the 01E and all of them together is like ÂŁ1100 + VAT as you can only get them from Audi or Porsche
                Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by AndyP View Post

3.Last but not least, the turbo is f**ked! Basically the seals are leaking quite badly when the pressure is wound up, resulting in boost leaking into the oil return line and into the sump

So the turbo is being taken off on Monday to be shipped off for a re-build.
                  How did you spot the turbo was leasking badly?

Just thinking your turbo is a 3071r? the CHRA can't be rebuilt new centre section time

Comment

• im hoping we are not looking into a bad batch of garrett turbos...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                      How did you spot the turbo was leasking badly?

Just thinking your turbo is a 3071r? the CHRA can't be rebuilt new centre section time
                      Pressure tested the boost sytem and it would not hold pressure, but had not signs of an external leak. So the system was filled with smoke, which we then saw coming back out the PCV hose, this caused much scratching of heads as the PCV system was blanked off. Eventually we took of the oil return hose from the turbo to find the smoke coming out there and into the sump

Already had a price for re-building the turbo with a new CHRA, not as bad as I thought, so it's coming off this afternoon.

I think I can see a dim flicker of light at the end of the tunnel
                      sigpic

Comment

• Man, you have such bad luck with this car...
                        9.5 CR will mean less timing up top, meaning less power.
                        How much boost and timing you can run before you get knock limited will be seen on the dyno, when you stop making power.

I am sorry if I have not followed everything, but couldn't you use a thicker headgasket to drop the ratio a bit?
                        You'd really benefit from a bit lower compression ratio than stock.
                        Last edited by prj; 2 May 2011, 12:37.
                        http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

• I could, but I'm going to get it mapped as it is for now, I really don't want to strip the engine AGAIN! I'll see how it goes and look at dropping the CR next year if necessary.
                          sigpic

Comment

• 9.5:1 compression means as prj said, but it does not mean necessaraly that it will make less power. Boost isnt everything, and according to my mechanics back home, this engine likes high compression! My comp ratio will also be higher than 9:1 probably after the head rebuilt.

Comment

• Uhm, it usually does mean that you'll make less power - whether it will be significant remains to be seen.
                              Then again, you'll have better fuel economy and a more responsive low-end.

EDIT:
                              I mean - it usually is on /these/ engines, as they are heavily knock limited and already fairly high compression.
                              Last edited by prj; 2 May 2011, 16:19.
                              http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

• on 1.8T and 2.0T newer audi engines, the max timing advance they can go is no more than 16-18deg on the higher revs with most of the time using meth/water to be safer. Our engines can go more than that, and this info was given to me recently by a greek tuner back home. Obviously the newer engines are already on higher compression, but every highend 1.8 and 2.0T engine i have read about recently in greece runs about 2.3bar of pressure and not all have lowered compression!!! which sounds amazing, but im wondering how much timing they are actually running to be safe!

It all depends on the turbo as well. A 3071 with .63ar that wont need high boost on the top end anyway as it will be dead already, will benefit having higher compression as most of the power will be delivered earlier on!

Comment

Working...
                                X