• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by martinjs View Post
    Yep
    Chef

Comment

• I'll leave the MAF debate to you motronics running cars although in my opinoin I can't see how every dyno'd aby, aan, adu engine thats running over 400 bhp is stupid and that's a lot of cars.

Comment

• i agree it is not ideal to tune like that but at the time when all these cars were tuned there were no bigger MAF's as robust as they are now, and not so many people interested for a tuner to invest to a bigger maf idea.

since now it can be done, i presume that if i was still using motronic, id like to be as analytical as possible.

Comment

• Today, in an effort to fix this:-

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51079

I have fitted a different gearbox and a fully re-furb'ed propshaft. The good news is that the gearbox noise has gone, the bad news is that in trying to tweak the exhaust fitting to get more ground clearance ( f**king speedbumps ) I appear to have made it 100% worse as it's now touching the front subframe and the rear diff, causing some horrible vibrations. Should be a quick fix tomorrow though.

Also slightly worrying was the state of the clutch release bearing after only 2K miles

This was the Sachs bearing that came with the Sachs race clutch kit. I've fitted a new Audi bearing which is also Sachs branded so we'll have to see how that lasts. Not 100% certain whatr was causing the noise but I think it was something in the box rather that thee bearing. I'm going to use my new JH Motorsports DVD to strip the gearbox and see if I can find out what was wrong with it.

Big thanks to ChrisP and Brian Tonks for helping
          sigpic
          1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
          1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
          1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

• No worries I am still chuckling to myself about the tea incident
            Audi Nut!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tonks4x4 View Post
              No worries I am still chuckling to myself about the tea incident
              Do tell!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by newsh View Post
                Do tell!
                I think it was one of those 'you had to be there' moments
                sigpic

Comment

• Got the exhaust refitted today and all is well, also tweaked the gearbox linkage to improve the shift, which is now much better. Made a skid plate to protect the rear flexi from speed bumps

Shame I didn't have an titanium, could have made going over speedbumps fun
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by AndyP View Post

Shame I didn't have an titanium, could have made going over speedbumps fun
                    I've got some damaged exhaust parts from the R1 if you want a bit

Top tip on the skid plate, I could do with making one of those.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                    sigpic

Comment

• One of these days I’m going to catch a break with this project!!

Went for mapping yesterday and it didn’t go well, we found 3 problems:-

1.Lambda sensor is not functioning as it should. Not too much of a problem but annoying considering it’s fairly new.

2.Compression test revealed that the compression ratio is higher than I thought, and planned. I did a test myself a few weeks ago and got 14bar across all cylinders. I thought this was the top limit on a new engine from figures I seen in the factory manual. On re-checking this I found that it’s actually 13bar top limit. This means that I’m running a higher CR than stock, not something I wanted. Stock CR is 9.3:1 I’m estimating that I’m on 9.5:1 from calculations I’ve seen online. This is even more annoying as when I sent my calculations to JE for the pistons they said I had them wrong and they altered them slightly. This now means I may have to re-think what boost it will run. Any thoughts on maximum boost with a 9.5:1 CR?

3.Last but not least, the turbo is f**ked! Basically the seals are leaking quite badly when the pressure is wound up, resulting in boost leaking into the oil return line and into the sump

So the turbo is being taken off on Monday to be shipped off for a re-build. New lambda is on order and we should be good to try again.

On the plus side, even running 0.4bar boost, the car feels really good, I came back from Stokesley on the B1257, 20miles of B road heaven, and the car was flying. So even if I have to run lower boost than originally planned I still think it’s going to be quick, just might not have the headline grabbing power figures.
                      sigpic

Comment

• sorry to hear its not all gone to plan (again!) Andy, sounds like the last few hurdles now though - ****ing annoying that JE thought they knew best
                        Still the higher CR might make the car even more useable, albeit a tad down on the top end you might have made?

Interested to see what up with your gearbox, mine will be getting torn down when i have found another box to replace it with, might need to rent your JHM DVD!
                        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Andy the higher cr is going to effect mbt minimum best timing rather than boost at high rpm basically you will have to run less advance, you can get around this problem by using a compression dropping gasket if but that means taking it to bits again. Still say you will be able to run around 1.8 bar trailing down to red line
                          I'd ask Repo or Pnanassy both have stroker mapping knowledge

Comment

• Video is available online

http://152.66.93.29/audi/download/JH...d_video_35.wmv

As soon as I get time I'm going to strip the gearbox and see what was up with it. nOt sure if it is just the gearbox or the fact that I put in expensive oil, but the new box is so much nicer than the old one, shifts like a knife through butter.

This is the oil I used, as recommended by Oilman

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-981-fuch...ion-fluid.aspx
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                              Andy the higher cr is going to effect mbt minimum best timing rather than boost at high rpm basically you will have to run less advance
                              That's pretty much what Mark said, he could map it at a higher boost but would have to take loads of timing out which would cancel out any gains made by the higher boost. I think for starters we will put a low boost map on it and see how it responds. Knowing how the car drives now on 0.4bar, I think even boosting it to 1bar will really make it come alive. We shall see.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by AndyP View Post
                                Video is available online

http://152.66.93.29/audi/download/JH...d_video_35.wmv

As soon as I get time I'm going to strip the gearbox and see what was up with it. nOt sure if it is just the gearbox or the fact that I put in expensive oil, but the new box is so much nicer than the old one, shifts like a knife through butter.

This is the oil I used, as recommended by Oilman

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-981-fuch...ion-fluid.aspx
                                Just to clarify, did you use that oil in the old box or the new one? I filled my avant with the non synthetic version of that oil and im not very happy with it, very notchy when cold but shifts fine when warmed up.

I also have a load of redline oil but not sure if i should change to it or not?
                                91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                                93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                                94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Working...
                                X