Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering arms have been left as I don't plan on lowering it a huge amount. Too many speed bumps around here
    sigpic
    1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
    1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
    1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

• If that oil is going through the valves that way then doesn't that mean that the piston clearances may not be ideal?

Comment

• Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
        If that oil is going through the valves that way then doesn't that mean that the piston clearances may not be ideal?
        But the oil is on top of the inlet valves which means it can only have come down the valve guides, meaning they or the valve stem oil seals are shot, or it could have come through the inlet pipework from the turbo. I've checked the inlet pipework and it's really clean, there was hardly any oil in the intercooler which is usually a good 'catch tank' if the turbo oil seals are knackered. I did a compression test a couple of weeks ago and it was virtually the same as it was when the engine wass built, i.e. higher than stock.
        sigpic

Comment

• I agree, for it to sit on top of the valves like that it has to be coming down the valve stems.
          http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

• The new seals do seem noticeably tighter on the valves so hopefully this if the answer. If not I've no idea what to look at next!
            sigpic

Comment

• Wow! That's a lot of oil seeping past the VSOSs. Is the cam-cover breathing ok?
              SS

Comment

• What's the definition of OK?

I use this system

All I get in the catch tank is a bit of mayo which is emptied every couple of months, anything else just drains back to the sump.
                sigpic

Comment

• Not much progress has been made recently, mainly because I've been ill since the weekend when I pulled the head off, working for 20hrs in sub zero temperatures didn't do me any good

Anyway, the coilovers are finished and just need fitting, the head is back on and I just need to re-plumb everything. Should get most if it finished this weekend, then it's fingers crossed that the new VSOS fix the problem.
                  sigpic

Comment

• You would think a 16mm cam cover breather should be enough. Hopefully those tighter feeling VSOS do the trick.
                    SS

Comment

• Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter View Post
                      You would think a 16mm cam cover breather should be enough. Hopefully those tighter feeling VSOS do the trick.
                      I'm wondering if it's the position of the cam cover breather, in it's stock size it's known to be overwhelmed by oil under hard acceleration. Ideally it needs moving to the top of the cam cover to prevent this, but using the stock inlet manifold, this is easier said than done.

With my new 7A camcover I've made a bigger baffle to cover the breather outlet and hopefully stop it injesting so much liquid. I'll post some pics this weekend.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Welding finished and legs blasted

Treated with Metalready and painted with POR15

And finally fitted. It was sitting a little high at this so I've since dropped it down 20mm.

New Febi track rod ends also painted with POR15 and new Bambridge adjusters and hardware
                        sigpic

Comment

• This is the breather mod I did on the cam cover. 16mm breather welded on the back in stock position, needs trimming a little.

I've put this baffle on the inside so the oil does not have a straight shot down the breather under hard acceleration. Not sure if it will work or not but it's worth a try.
                          sigpic

Comment

• progressss
                            RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
                            BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
                            LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

• I am glad I am not the only one that cleans up and paints new parts.
                              SS

Comment

• Will be interesting to see how the larger cam cover breather works. I added the 3B pipe fitting to my 7A head and it's still connected to the standard 3B breather setup. I'm not seeing any oil burning but there is a fair bit getting through to the Maf to turbo hose. I really need to update the breather system but there's so little room in the 3B engine bay
                                91 Modded 3B
                                14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Working...
                                X