Jogi's New Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eugen,
    I'm not quite sure what you're getting at regarding the cv joints and how to get them to fit?
    Cheers
    CHris

Edit: PM sent
    Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
    20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

On the gearbox where the driveshafts bolt on the cup that supports them is held in by an allen key normally etc, this can be undone and the flanges swapped for different ones.

Comment

Acidburn is right.
        I was able to change the output flanges at my old 016 gearboxes from small diameter to turbo ones with bigger diameter, and i have changed the inner cv joints with biger ones also from turbo 200. The interesting thing is that the lenght off the rods were the same with original FWD coupe GT. Also the splines were the same.
        Iff you use the old stile cv joint on your new output flanges...the grease will not stay in....this is the reason you need the encapsulated inner cv joints. Hope this makes sense! Sry for my English!
        Regards!
        Eugen

Comment

Thanks for your replies chaps.
          Right I think I know what you are talking about now
          However, the kit is designed to make my flanges match up by removing some of the metal from the splined end of the flange. That stops the grease from leaking otherwise it would not be much good.
          Maybe David could throw some more light on this?
          Indeed, if the bigger CV joints could be made to work somehow, that would probably be more up to the torque levels I hope to be running.
          Hmmmmm.... what to do?
          Chris
          Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
          20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

I would change the flanges to the big round ones from old turbo cars gearboxes and i install the inner cv joints from the same car 200turbo, S2,etc. , on your existing shafts.
            Goodluck! Iff i am right...the shafts will be with same splines and lenght.

Comment

What torque levels are you aiming for Chris as this will determine whether you follow my and Patricks route of using the old Cq flanges in the gearbox (-3mm)and CV joints attached to the 20V shafts!? My final aim is 380bhp RS2 chipped spec so my setup is fine.
              However if Patrick or someone else has a way to use the larger flanges and CV joints from a Ur or TDi I would look into it for long term reliabilty if running more than 500bhp and similar torque. Good luck
              1986 Coupe q - 2281cc 3B, chargecooler, 2.75" exh & downpipe, ported head, water injection, CGR box, modified MD357 turbo, 440cc injectors, high power coil.
              2004 A4 2.5TDi convertible, re-mapped to 180bhp
              2011 A5 sportback 3TDi-Backbox delete, remap

Comment

Originally posted by 20Vcqdriver View Post
                What torque levels are you aiming for Chris as this will determine whether you follow my and Patricks route of using the old Cq flanges in the gearbox (-3mm)and CV joints attached to the 20V shafts!? My final aim is 380bhp RS2 chipped spec so my setup is fine.
                However if Patrick or someone else has a way to use the larger flanges and CV joints from a Ur or TDi I would look into it for long term reliabilty if running more than 500bhp and similar torque. Good luck
                David ,
                I hope your quoted figures are spot on
                So where can I find some S2 flanges..... Anyone?
                Cheers
                Chris
                Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

It's great to see you keep the faith with your car Chris, look forward to seeing it this year at various meets

Comment

Originally posted by jogi730 View Post
                    Still not sure exactly what ECU will be used on my car, but more than likely KMS.
                    Have seen some remarkable results on a Skyline with this system.
                    This will also allow Ashford Motorsport to change turbo's and re-map to see what turbo I will end up with - CT350 above or carething else ( T61/ T4 )?
                    Cheers
                    Chris

KMS is one of the very few aftermarket ECUs that has the (very rare) accurate air mass metering option available instead of manifold pressure based air amount metering and the fast wide band lambda correction loop. It will be very interesting to see the results in your project. http://www.enginemanagement.co.uk/prod_management.asp

Will you use the high diameter special air mass meters or your own design ?

Comment

• Tommy,
                      Due to the fact I could not sell my Pectel T6, I will be keeping it. That way it will save me the £1300 or so the KMS would have cost (includung comlpete new loom).
                      As far as I am aware, my car engine has completely dispenses with the Mass Air Meter altogether.
                      Once the dyno is ready, it will once again be mapped by Ahmed Bayjoo.
                      Cheers
                      Chris
                      Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                      20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• Just an update as did not want to divert from issues in other posts.

This project is not dead and is being worked on as we speak - just not very quickly - and I reiterate this is due to lack of funds.

THe easiest option would be to go backwards and have my car put back to the T34 spec which was truely amazing. In retrospect, maybe all I needed to make that so much better is a 6 speed gearbox with better ratios. Howver, I am chasing the poisoned challis of the same response but more power. And I WILL succeed (or at least partially).

Even though the car is stuck in a garage, I went to leave some parts I am collecting in it. I gave her a much needed wash (how sad is that with no engine?) which showed up the attrocious accident repairs, but seeing her reminded me it will all be worth it when she's done.

Cheers
                        Chris
                        Last edited by jogi730; 6 March 2018, 10:51.
                        Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                        20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• it'll always be worth it, even more so when YOU are happy with it too....never the same when its not what you would class as finished or in the condition only you will accept when its your own car
                          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

• I must be quite local to you, a helping hand is here if you ever need it.
                            Volcano ABY coupe

Ant

Comment

• Any updates?

Comment

• Lots going on at the moment.:mischeif:I:mischeif:
                                Hope to have good ntRews and a maIjor update soon.
                                Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                                20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X