No announcement yet.

Jogi's New Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And I have let you down Chris I have not had a minute to sort your bases this week but promise I will get them done ASAP
    Audi Nut!!!

Comment

• No probs Brian. The bases are for the Classic's..
      Still a fair bit to be done, but the heart of the beast has finally been completed and even has the plate CNC'd to attach it to the dyno.
      Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
      20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by jogi730 View Post
        No probs Brian. The bases are for the Classic's..
        Still a fair bit to be done, but the heart of the beast has finally been completed and even has the plate CNC'd to attach it to the dyno.
        Engine Dyno Mr Chris??
        Chef

Comment

• Hmmmmnmm? Good qestion now that I think of it?
          I am hoping that's what he meant and not some retro way of illuminating the lights?
          Last edited by jogi730; 29 October 2011, 00:23.
          Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
          20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• The latest

Although I have not reported much on my project, quite a lot has been going on ‘behind the scenes’.

My car has been off the road since mid 2008. Since then I have put much effort (and cash) into getting my car back to how it should be.

I have been collecting all the necessary parts (plus some perhaps less necessary) as this was basically starting again, but at long last the results are in sight.

As I have been asked here is an update of what has been happening and where I am today.
            Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
            20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• Parts

So here are some of the parts that have been collected;

Rear brake callipers

New fluid reservoirs and dipstick

Interior

Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
              20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• Paint Shop

Paint Shop.
                Of course, apart from screwing up my engine, FIELD MOTORSPORT also had an accident whilst road testing my car. The repairs they authorised were atrocious and had to be put right.

In mid November 2008, the car was taken and left in the very capable hands of my friend Polly who has his workshop at Quintec in Longcross, Chobham (some may recognise the address as home of Surrey Rolling Road).

His task was to respray the crap paint so car would look half decent again. Unfortunately, I have lost/deleted most of the photograph’s I had of the work. But

No attempt was even made to repair damage to the inside of the engine bay caused by the force of the impact. This, together with all the other parts affected,was all prepared and sorted too as due to the car being laid up for so long with no proper protection, some rust was beginning to show.

The brake servo was also painted. Some brake fluid had been spilt on it some time ago and it has always annoyed me since.
                A new grill had to be sourced as the two little nipples that clip together in order to keep everything in place had been drilled and then secured using self tapping screws. The holes have also been filled to stop further rust building and spreading.

The bumper has not been touched at this stage as I am not sure what IC I will be running. Therefore, this may well be re-styled to accommodate.
                Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• Engine

I decided this would be the last time any (major) modifications were made in this department, so whilst all the bodywork was being corrected, the engine was sent to my tuner, Ashford Motorsport for engine to be put right.

As a result the engine was totally stripped and the block sent to be skimmed and honed.

And some additional cleaning -

The block was then repainted.

New slightly oversized (Saenz) pistons were purchased and these were machined to get back to the 7:1CR. This low CR is to allow for massive ignition advance, especially when off boost. I know not everyone agrees with this low CR.
                  New hydraulic lifters were installed as a precautionary measure.
                  Last edited by jogi730; 29 October 2011, 11:35.
                  Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                  20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• Head

The head had already been polished and ported for the original build, but it was sent away to Ultimate Performance for some additional work to be carried out.

And here are the results;

Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                    20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• Water rail

Painted customised water rail

Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                      20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• Exhaust manifold

Repo tubular exhaust manifold with slightly narrower piping from the last one. This will help with back pressure which in turn helps spool.

Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                        20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• Fuel rail

There was something not quite right with the new fuel rail which may have caused a few problems as the angle of the spray was not quite right. To correct this, a couple of spacers (1 x 6mm & 1 x 13mm) were made and inserted.

Perhaps not ideal, but this is barely noticeable when looking into the engine bay.

Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                          20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• Throttle body

Throttle body

The throttle potentiometer and bracket were in direct line of vision when looking at the engine and a bit of an eye sore.

A new bracket was made and added to tidy this up somewhat.

Pitted and tired looking throttle body now painted to match. Looking so much better now.

Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                            20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• Now the individual parts are finally beginning to look like an engine again;

Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                              20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• Turbo

It has been decided I am staying with the T61.

When I originally had the turbo upgraded, I loved the brutal performance of the T61 once it kicked in. However, I hated the lag!

The whole objective now was to retain the grunt of the T61 but regain as much of the T34 drivability as possible. Therefore the Garrett T61 has been reworked with a smaller exhaust housing to achieve that faster spool up, obviously sacrificing some top end power.

Smaller turbo housing

New exhaust flange

The mapping session on the dyno will take place shortly, so that will determine how successful the work has been to reach my objectives.
                                Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                                20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X