No announcement yet.

Jogi's New Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow it's a brand new box? At least it looks like it.

Did you get the gear shifting stuff from Patrick incl. short shift mod?

Comment

It is a brand new box. And the custom fitting kit is indeed from Patrick. This kit actually cost more than the g/b itself.... lol. Still cheaper than cutting tunnels and changing to 5 stud etc. But it is a very well thought out. Patrick even made me an extra linkage which should allow me to use my billzcat 016 short shift kit. This has not been tried out, but Patrick is convinced it will work. Very clever man.
      I do have some concerns and issues though. The driveshafts I will be using are from a N/A 20v quattro. The ones fitted to my 90 seem a lot beefier. Although tried and tested on an S2 into typ85 conversion, this was not at the 500 or so bhp I plan to be running, so have to suck it and see what happens.
      Also, when removing the clutch slave cylinder from the old box, this was held in by a rowl pin. There is nowhere for this pin to fit on the new 6 spped box. Is there a seperate carrier for this slave or willl I have to replace the slave to make it fit?
      Cheers
      Chris
      Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
      20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

you will need the slave cilinder that belongs to the gearbox you have now.

Where do you get a new 6-speed cheap then?

Will you use the machanic speedometer from the 90 type 85 or something else?

I will be using a complete S2 drivetrain so I won't have problems with the driveshafts I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by jogi730 View Post
          Patrick even made me an extra linkage which should allow me to use my billzcat 016 short shift kit. This has not been tried out, but Patrick is convinced it will work.
          If you have tried it, let us know... that`s mostly the reason why I do not want to use 01E gearbox, I like the short shifter wery much.

Comment

i like a lot these Gearbox swaps

come on we want more
            RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
            BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
            LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

Originally posted by quattrostyle View Post
              you will need the slave cilinder that belongs to the gearbox you have now.

Where do you get a new 6-speed cheap then?

Will you use the machanic speedometer from the 90 type 85 or something else?

I will be using a complete S2 drivetrain so I won't have problems with the driveshafts I guess.
              I bought the gearbox on e-bay for either £400 or £450.
              Are you sure about th e slave and if so, any idea on the part number I will need (is this gearbox dependant and do I just have to use the g/b code)?

I sent Patrick one of the plates.

He then drilled it to allow the mechanical speedo linkage. I just had to replace the geared plastic ring from the old 016 and hey presto!

I am keeping my finger crossed about the driveshafts.

Will cost a lot to change everything over to 5 stud...... front sub-frame, drive shafts and hubs and new carriers for the brake conversion.

Talking of brakes, is there a viable solution to upgrading rear callipers which incorporate a handbrake. The typ85 callipers are useless and keep seizing apart from looking cack on the car>
              Cheers
              Chris
              Last edited by jogi730; 6 March 2018, 10:32.
              Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
              20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

RR rear setup i'd have thought, and afaik you can use A8 rear callipers but i'm yet to check this 100% as I decided to switch from ur running gear to s2 as tbh to swap to s2 running gear will cost me under £200

Comment

Looking good,what inner CV joint are you using with that combo?

Comment

I bought the gearbox on e-bay for either £400 or £450.
                    Are you sure about the slave and if so, any idea on the part number I will need (is this gearbox dependant and do I just have to use the g/b code)?

I sent Patrick one of the plates.

He then drilled it to allow the mechanical speedo linkage. I just had to replace the geared plastic ring from the old 016 and hey presto!

Chris
                    You'll need a slave that is locked with a M6/M8 bolt instead of the pin as used on the type 85 right? So that should be changed, and maybe you'll have to make a new hardline from the master cylinder? But I guess Patrick can tell you that exactly.

I was told that the standard speedo cable is too short to use with the 6-speed gb. because the mounting on the box is in a different place. Can you confrim that is true or not? If it does fit I'll use the original speedometer on my 90 type, else I'll use a B3/B4 or type 44 speedometer.

Comment

Originally posted by quattrostyle View Post
                      You'll need a slave that is locked with a M6/M8 bolt instead of the pin as used on the type 85 right? So that should be changed, and maybe you'll have to make a new hardline from the master cylinder? But I guess Patrick can tell you that exactly.

I was told that the standard speedo cable is too short to use with the 6-speed gb. because the mounting on the box is in a different place. Can you confrim that is true or not? If it does fit I'll use the original speedometer on my 90 type, else I'll use a B3/B4 or type 44 speedometer.
                      6 speed slave is quite different and yes secured with a bolt instead of a pin and much better design. My speedo cable reached OK, and driveshafts should be fine. Even at 500bhp its still only 125bhp per wheel. Only issue might be the CV joints in the long term, Keep your fingers crossed.
                      Those photos look familiar Chris. Looks like my engineering shop at work
                      1986 Coupe q - 2281cc 3B, chargecooler, 2.75" exh & downpipe, ported head, water injection, CGR box, modified MD357 turbo, 440cc injectors, high power coil.
                      2004 A4 2.5TDi convertible, re-mapped to 180bhp
                      2011 A5 sportback 3TDi-Backbox delete, remap

Comment

nice then, should be fairly easy to drive out of the speedo range then, I always liked that idea for some reason

Comment

For those output flanges you need encapsulated inner cv joints..like new models. About the speedo cable...i can confirm that will work ok, i have changed some gearboxes in my car.
                          All the best and goodluck with the project!

Comment

Originally posted by 20Vcqdriver View Post
                            6 speed slave is quite different and yes secured with a bolt instead of a pin and much better design. My speedo cable reached OK, and driveshafts should be fine. Even at 500bhp its still only 125bhp per wheel. Only issue might be the CV joints in the long term, Keep your fingers crossed.
                            Those photos look familiar Chris. Looks like my engineering shop at work
                            Received the new slave cylinder today from Pete at Quattro Corner. Next Day service even in these conditions.

Just borrowed the picture to show the driveshafts hope you don't mind David?

Tell me more about the CV joints please? My understanding was that the typ85 ones were direct fit - or are these other ones superior?

Cheers
                            Chris
                            Last edited by jogi730; 6 March 2018, 10:40.
                            Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                            20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

Received the new slave cylinder today from Pete at Quattro Corner. Next Day service even in these conditions.

Just borrowed the picture to show the driveshafts hope you don't mind David?

Tell me more about the CV joints please? My understanding was that the typ85 ones were direct fit - or are these other ones superior?

Cheers
                              Chris
                              Yep thats the slave.
                              The type 85 flanges should fit straight into the box so long as you take 3mm off the splined end ( if you take the TDi ones out you'll see they are shorter from the seal face to the end of the splined end).
                              Then your 20V shafts and 90q standard CV's will bolt straigt up. Though the idea of using the TDI CV joints on the inner sounds attractive if you could get them to fit, as they are designed to handle high torque levels. Good luck.
                              1986 Coupe q - 2281cc 3B, chargecooler, 2.75" exh & downpipe, ported head, water injection, CGR box, modified MD357 turbo, 440cc injectors, high power coil.
                              2004 A4 2.5TDi convertible, re-mapped to 180bhp
                              2011 A5 sportback 3TDi-Backbox delete, remap

Comment

From the pictures..i see that the output flanges are fixed with a central screw...like the old ones not with circlip like the 3B 5 speed gearbox. Iff so...you can change the output flanges with ones from an older gearbox to receive your cv joints like i have done at my gearboxes. Like this you will be able to use the inner cv joints from your car or change to bigger ones.
                                Hope this helps!
                                Regards!
                                Eugen

Comment

Working...
                                X