Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=polishing_frenchman;819835]
    Originally posted by hunker7 View Post
    That looks stunning and it's not even finished yet. Will probably be the best S2 in UK for sure.

I'll second that, don't no what to say really apart from well done mate, great work from day1, your attention to detail is beyond words
    That **** end reminds me of Anders avant,90 panel against that paintwork takes some beating

Cheers Rob
    Thank you. Yea Anders car is what I have in mind I think of mine as a tribute.

Originally posted by cadiddy View Post
    Awesome job mate, love the colour, and the attention to detail is second to none, hats off to you for sure. Just curious though, what's the difference between the s6 door handles and the s2?

Not much really, but I intended to switch to HAA keys (the more modern Audi key instead of the old 80 style).

I bought a set of s6 locks and to fit them I needed the s6 door handles as the locks are slightly size. Been waiting for 6 weeks now for the handles but at this moment in time I had to move forward, so I am sticking with current keys until engine is in.
    Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

• Time for another little update. Managed to get the last of the glass installed. I went professional installer for the windscreen given its importance to the strength of vehicle.
      He also charged me very little to install my new rear tailgate glass.

Got my headliner installed, along with A B C pillar trims.
      Ran into a slight issue with the newly acquired black handles, only the drivers side would fit. They came from an S6 Plus, and the left side grab handles are the same as the drivers side on the s6, in the 80 they are mirrored. Will get it sorted in time.

Drilled a hole in the centre of the front trim holding up the headliner.
      Installed a loom for the auto dimming rear view mirror.

With a little trimming of the plastics the rear view mirror fited without issue. This mirror has auto-dimming, and compass. It came from a US Audi Allroad, all the way from Florida.

Ran into an issue with the tailgate. No mounting holes for the wiper motor.

My old bent tailgate had these holes which are mounted on a heavy plate and spot welded to the tailgate.I drilled out the spot welds. Then carefully drilled fresh holes in the new tailgate and hole fill welded it in place. I have no photos of the process as I was in a foul mood lol

Refitted vacuum reserve tank.

New dumdum on the tail lights.

I got these LED bulbs for the number plate lights. These are not polarity sensitive.

With the 90 panel installed, these might be a little difficult to get to.

Refitted the tailgate trim

Looking clean now. I also powder-coated the outside of the lock in gloss black.
      Last edited by irishs2; 11 July 2017, 21:41.
      Eric

Comment

• All the glass back in is a bit of a milestone, looks more like a car again.
        Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
        Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• do you have any guides on the powder coating?

is this the new or the old tailgate as it looks like around the handle is some bubbling

good work as always

Comment

• Yea that's the replacement, it's been cleaned and treated but given it's location not smoothened, I was a little miffed it was done this way. The flash makes it look much worse than it is. I have a few things to powder coat tomorrow and will give a step by step
            Eric

Comment

• Originally posted by irishs2 View Post
              Yea that's the replacement, it's been cleaned and treated but given it's location not smoothened, I was a little miffed it was done this way. The flash makes it look much worse than it is. I have a few things to powder coat tomorrow and will give a step by step
              shame about the tailgate

Thanks and ill keep an eye out for that

Comment

• Wow massive amount of work done mate. Well done. Will be done in no time

Comment

• Eric: I just scrolled through all 29 pages of this thread. Looking back at what you started with, you are either mad or a freaking genius. Probably both. What a lot of work. At several points, the beauty of your work nearly brought tears to my eyes. Well done.

Now one small complaint:

I was looking for a photo of the side of the avant with the rear bumper off so I could confirm (or deny) that the rear sunroof drain is similar to a C4 avant rear sunroof drain. Could you post up a couple of shots for this, one well back of the car, one closer up.

Like these that Marko provided me:

Last edited by UrS4boy; 30 November 2014, 16:58.
                  RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                  94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

• Thanks I am quite mad according to the ample evidence.

Might not do you much good. As far as I remember the rear drain is inside the rear wheel arch. Which at this moment in time is covered by the liner.

Not much has happened in the last few weeks. Work is kinda busy but little things are getting done.

Refinished the battery tray.

Made a bracket to mount the A4 B7 Harmon/Becker rear amp, according to the ICs inside the amp its 2x40W rear and 80w subwoofer . It will do me fine as I am only using it as a subwoofer amp. Also broke out the connector to its individual pinouts, so it will turn on with the radio.

And the painter dropped off a few more bits.
                    Last edited by irishs2; 11 July 2017, 21:42.
                    Eric

Comment

• Great stuff as usual

Even if I had space and money to do such a resto, I would miss driving her
                      '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
                      '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
                      '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

• But just think how awesome he will feel driving it for the first time in the knowledge that it's 100% a better car! Then he can have a much bigger smile each and every time he goes out than if it were a tired crusted example and a miserable former shadow of itself. I know which one i would choose

One of the best threads on here without a doubt.
                        Last edited by Vorsprung durch Technik; 30 November 2014, 18:48.
                        96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                        96 URS6 plus speck estate
                        94 2.6 80 Avant
                        99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

• Originally posted by irishs2 View Post

Made a bracket to mount the A4 B7 Harmon/Becker rear amp, according to the ICs inside the amp its 2x40W rear and 80w subwoofer . It will do me fine as I am only using it as a subwoofer amp. Also broke out the connector to its individual pinouts, so it will turn on with the radio.
                          Just an other example of why this thread is so great.

Nice work as ever.

Top sticky !

Comment

• Originally posted by UrS6 - IamS6 View Post
                            Just an other example of why this thread is so great.

Nice work as ever.

Top sticky !

Thanks very much, just in case anyone else wants to mount this type of amp or use the measurements of the holes that already exist on the body I have attached a 1:1 pdf drawing of the bracket.

The holes on the body are the square hole type, and they take the push in nylon fixings. The same ones that are used on the bumper brackets.

I also attached the solidworks file.
                            Attached Files
                            Eric

Comment

• Tidy install with the B7 amp & sub mate
                              I measured up the Bose units in Helen's S4 a couple years ago but I couldn't see a nice way to install in the coupe, plus I recon she'd have noticed.
                              Its a nice system, plenty of bass and very discrete
                              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Thanks.

I managed to pick up a bose amp (attached) too. Inside they have exactly the same audio amplifier ICs. Apart from the bose having the two front channels, they seem very similar inside.
                                Attached Files
                                Eric

Comment

Working...
                                X