No announcement yet.

My S2 coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Might be an aftermarket flywheel Are you running the gearbox spacer between bell housing and block - it should be obvious as it's about 8mm thick.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

• Yes the spacer plate is there, I'll have a proper look at it as soon as the engine and box is out.
      96 S2 aby Coupe. Rebuild Project
      96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

• How far are you going to dig into the engine?

That looks like a nice unit, jealous of the space around your car.
        Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
        Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Haha thanks its not that big but its perfect for what I'm doing up there, I'll try and get some better pictures of it.

As far as the engine goes I'm just going to replace the shell bearings and rod bolts with some new gaskets and just a general check over because to be honest I cant afford to do anything else to it at the moment and the suspension to me is more important than engine mods.

I will try and fit the large intercooler and pipe work that I have and try and get some silicone pipes in the bay but that will probably be it till the suspensions all done and dusted.
          96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

• Picked up an engine crane and another engine stand off Add yesterday so after work this evening I set about removing the engine.

I'll carry on stripping more of the block now that its on the stand in between other job that I've got on at my unit tomorrow.
            96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

• Also, while I was removing the clutch and flywheel I noticed that there is a little scoring and heat marks so any suggestions on a clutch flywheel setup?
              96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

• While the missus was out shopping today I popped up to the unit and stripped a bit more off the engine.

I thought I had snapped an exhaust manifold stud but after looking at it more closely it looks like it was already either broken or stretched as there are signs of exhaust soot on the head and around the edge of the gasket and stud.

Also removed most of the water pipes, breather pipes and wiring loom.

Any one got any good links for engine paint I'm looking for matt silver like the cam cover and inlet in this photo,

96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

• I think pj1 is the best paint you,ll find.I always use it on the bike engines, but i heat the paint up in hot water and i also heat up the parts to be sprayed.I think you,ll be very happy with this paint Tim E. Good luck chap.

Comment

• For that Matt silver OEM look, have you thought about getting them vapour blasted? Works a treat!

Comment

• I hadn't thought of vapour blasting but I'm looking for a sort of dark silver or gunmetal as I want to tone down the engine bay but still want it to look clean and tidy.
                      I've now spoken to AndersS2 and now know the paint that he used so I will be ordering some of that in due time.

Haven't had much done in the past few days, just slowly stripping the block and making a list of what's needed.

After getting inspiration from Andy10v and willg54 with their crank locking tools I decided to make one with some box section I had in the unit.

After using it I also gave it a coat of paint.

This evening managed remove the crank and check the last shells for any signs of damage and I happy to say that nothing serious has been found so far, so I'm counting my self very lucky to have gotten away with it.

96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

• The only mark I have found on the crank is a very slight groove where the flywheel side seal has been. Do you think I will be able to get away with just fitting the new seal just slightly further forward so the lip seal will run on fresh metal?
                        96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

• yup that'll be fine, just make sure the new seal if driven in straight and runs on a fresh part of the crank
                          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Small Update,

Engine split and the head has been given to a friend of mine to have a light skim and cleaned up while I'm waiting on parts to be delivered and waiting to find some parts I've started to clean and paint the block. Here's tonight's efforts.

Block cleaned and masked up.

Good coat of acid etch primer,

Getting closer to going back in at some point.

Tomorrow I will probably give the engine another quick coat of primer ready for the enamel on the weekend.

More updates when parts start arriving.
                            96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

• Tonight I painted on the second coat of enamel after doing the first on the weekend. Lucky for me the other half let me bring it into the kitchen so it could dry in the warmth.

I'm just waiting for parts to turn up from Marc @ EFI express and to buy a clutch then all the bottom end is getting sent away to JP to be balanced ready for the rebuild.

Put the box up on the engine stand so I can give it a clean and paint, will get some pics up as soon as its clean.

I can't wait to finish building the engine so I can concentrate my money on the suspension.

More updates soon.!
                              96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

• Gave the box a quick clean was really dirty and the underside was a pig to clean.

Does anyone know if the selector oil seal is available anywhere as there was an oil leak from here prior to removal.

96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

Working...
                                X