• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nice pics, the car looks great
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Great project, and thorough rebuilding going on. me like!
      RS2 Black - stock 315 HP
      RS2 RS blau - stock 315 HP
      Sport Quattro - 1005 HP
      High Octane website

Comment

• Still stockpiling parts slowly. Another small batch from TPS and some parts off forum members!

Still need to order all the nuts and bolts for the lower arms and the struts and need to get a new rack gaiter.

Also dropped my internals off with JP on friday and got sent these through today. It's nice to see clean parts going back together!

96 S2 aby Coupe. Rebuild Project
        96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

• After nearly a 600mile round trip I Left JNL Racing this morning with a full boot of bits back from balancing plus the rings and shells that JP managed to source for me.

Hopefully in the next few days I'll be able to finish stripping the last of the suspension so I can get a quote from the powder coaters.
          96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

• Suspension update. (The dreaded tin worm!)

After stripping down the last of the suspension, it was all dropped off at the powder coaters.
            While there he noticed a small hole so suggested that he would blast it that night and then for me to pick it up and weld it.

This was not the case though.

After blasting.....

So after a bit of thinking I decided to source another subframe. Not the easiest to get hold of clean ones and as I need one sharpish, I contacted Will @ VRS and he managed to send a CQ one out to me.
            That arrived yesterday so after work set out to change the ARB and track control arm mounts over.

This was dropped back at the powder coaters this morning and hopefully should be done by the end of next week.
            I'll update more soon.
            96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

• I wish I had this sort of determination, feel I must up my game alittle for the sake of my poor old S2. Hats off to you sir

Comment

• Currently in same boat, rusty sub frame off, better one waiting to go on

Comment

• Those ABY rear subframes really are ****! All of them seem to be crumbling, no doubt the cause of this can be traced back to an accountant.

good to see you're making progress dude, we need lots of pics of nice shiny bits going back together next
                  Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Was it an early CQ one with no ARB mount?
                    Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                    Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Yes I believe it is an early one and if I'm right from the measurements I took the control arms are also mounted closer to the centre of the subframe.

Thanks for all the comments. I must admit it can be hard work after 9hrs a day then going over to my unit to then do a further 3-5hrs, then back home.
                      It will all be worth it in the end though, can't wait to be honest!
                      96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

• Originally posted by TimE-J View Post
                        Yes I believe it is an early one and if I'm right from the measurements I took the control arms are also mounted closer to the centre of the subframe.

Thanks for all the comments. I must admit it can be hard work after 9hrs a day then going over to my unit to then do a further 3-5hrs, then back home.
                        It will all be worth it in the end though, can't wait to be honest!
                        Ahh, that makes a lot of sense, I wondered why the cars used different tie rods, but the same (roughly) suspension setup.

Keep at it, it will be worth it as you say. You must be pretty motivated to work on cars all day and then do yours.
                        Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                        Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• That subframe is fubared! Good stuff keeping the project going though, you'll be pleased with the sharper handling when that's all done
                          Cheers'en, AndyC
                          1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

• Yesterday while I was waiting for the suspension to come back from the powder coating, I thought that I would make a start on the fuel pipes as the nickel pipe and compression connections turned up on monday.

First off was to remove the old fuel pipes which 2 of them actually snapped when I was trying to remove them. Quite scary considering the high pressure pipe from the pump snapped at the bottom of the chassis leg where the lines run close to the exhaust!!

After removing the old manky lines I decided enough was enough and called it a night.

Today I started by making the new lines and bending them into a sort of correct shape.

After fitting the pipes back in the clips I flared the ends of 2 of the pipes.

Then just a few pictures of how I left it tonight after connecting up with the compression fittings on the bulkhead and then 1 used on the pipe that comes from the filter so I still use a small section of the original pipe and the original banjo that was in great condition.

Plus picked up the suspension parts from the coaters today so thought I would post up a sneaky pic...

I couldn't resist a quick mock up before I went home.

As you will have noticed the fuel lines aren't pin straight and I know some members on here are keen on how straight their fuel lines are so tomorrow I will try and straighten out some more of the kinks.

Cheers.
                            96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

• looking great! getting the parts back from the powder coaters was my favourite bit!
                              1996 Audi S2 - 295bhp and 326lb/ft - Complete Rebuild Project

1994 Audi 80 - 2.0 8v (slow but reliable!)

Comment

• Painted the gearbox after work this evening after work. Still need to give the black another coat but then it should be good to go.

96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

Working...
                                X