My S2 coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TimE-J View Post
    Also does anyone know what diff seals are still available from Audi and if they aren't, then does any one have the size specs of the seals to get some ordered.
    i got my diff seals from pete at Quattro Corner! dont think there's a supply issue with them
    1996 Audi S2 - 295bhp and 326lb/ft - Complete Rebuild Project

1994 Audi 80 - 2.0 8v (slow but reliable!)

Comment

• Originally posted by willg54 View Post
      dont think there's a supply issue with them
      for now.....
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
        for now.....
        like everything with these cars!

Comment

• Thanks guys, I've got a few more parts to get off him so I'll add them to the list. Sorry for not searching on the forum but what sort of job are they to change?
          96 S2 aby Coupe. Rebuild Project
          96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

• Tim yes the rear shafts are sided, but they only go one way so you can;t mix them up
            diff seals are easy, just make sure they go in straight
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Ok great cheers!
              96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                Tim yes the rear shafts are sided, but they only go one way so you can;t mix them up
                diff seals are easy, just make sure they go in straight
                i agree, its a nice easy job! If i remember, the big one was a bit tight to get in and took a bit of persuading!

Im sure those seals are only standard lip seals, could probably source those easy enough else where

Comment

• They are stock type, but very odd sizes. It would be reassuring to know that they are available outside the dealer
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• When I get the new seals I'll contact a local company that are fantastic at sourcing seals and bearings of all different kinds then I'll see how much they can source them from.
                    96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

When I get the new seals I'll contact a local company that are fantastic at sourcing seals and bearings of all different kinds then I'll see how much they can source them from.
                      if you measure them, let me know the dimensions. Our suppliers at work have all sorts of odd stuff available, might be another successful route

Comment

• Agree the seals are easy to change.

Are you meant to put them in a different position if there is a groove?
                        Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                        Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• No problemo, any thing to make it easier to source parts for these cars.

@Andy, I would imagine being a lip seal that you would do the same as you would with a cam or crank seal and move the position slightly if there was a groove.
                          Last edited by TimE-J; 11 April 2012, 00:00.
                          96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

• Quick update,

Started stripping down the rear suspension this evening. Got a few bushes pressed out and then decided to start stripping the rear drive shafts as my new gaiters arrived in work today so thought I might as well see how bad they were.

N/S drive shaft didn't look too bad grease was a bit black and thin but when I removed the O/S shaft from the diff it was obvious that water had crept into the gaiter and rotted the end of the shaft. The grease had also turned to almost rubber and the circlip on the end of the shaft fell apart when I tried to remove it.

With this shaft compared to the one removed from the N/S the damage is obvious.

So... If anyone has or knows of an O/S/R drive shaft for an ABY coupe then I would be very grateful. Meanwhile I'm off to start a wanted thread.
                            I'll try to do a bit more this weekend and update again soon.
                            96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

When I get the new seals I'll contact a local company that are fantastic at sourcing seals and bearings of all different kinds then I'll see how much they can source them from.
                              See here for some details on diff seals:-

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57089

Let me know if you measure the large seal and I'll also see if I can get them.
                              sigpic
                              1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                              1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                              1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

• Just looking through an old camera and found some pictures from a road trip last year.

God I miss driving it!
                                96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

Working...
                                X