No announcement yet.

UrS6 Saloon restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking forward to your brake updates, and the photos, especially the front brackets, also what discs are the 350mm discs ?

Thanks.

Last edited by macspring; 1 February 2014, 23:00.

Comment

For the 350mm disc no adapter is needed, just shims to distance out the caliper from the strut. The caliper fit´s the oem strut as it sits. But as to the mounting angle no bigger then ~350mm disc is possible, therefore I decided to make adapter plates that works as a shim and also relocate the caliper in a up forward angle so it looks better and can make use of the 360mm discs that I'm planning of using. 360mm discs is easier to get hold of and I don´t like the idea of grinding the disc down to around 350-352mm to make it work.
      1995 Audi S6 - AAN (~350hp)
      2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)
      2008 Hyundai i30 - 1.6 CRDI (89hp)
      2011 KTM 990 SMR - custom tuned (120whp)

Comment

Hi Goeran,
        how did i miss this thread!nice car nice restoration.i believe you spent a lot of time on her.
        waiting to see your BBK mate.it's great to fabricate a bracket for 18zr calipers.keep us posted Goeran.
        Cheers,
        pop
        one of a few I5 from Asia.

Comment

Yeah how could you thanks pop, going back to the garage tomorrow as I was sick this weekend. Hopefully I can start with the brackets / adapter with in two weeks. you could say that ive spent a few hours on her... And it will be more I guess
          2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)

Comment

Goeran,

what about your plan on rear brake setup?i found one D2 A8 is running separated E-brake from Brembo.That's nice.it has separated bracket for E-brake.let's say 2 brackets on a wheel.i need to inspect our rear spindle hubs if there's some free mounting holes available for the E-brake bracket.
            from what i see,that A8 removed the dust shield and mounting the E-brake bracket instead.i wish to fabricate mine and get some BBK on the rear
            for a better braking balanced.will let you know once the project has begun since now i stuck on the motor and some other stuffs maybe a couple months until i sorted one good used brembo E-brake.
            one of a few I5 from Asia.

Comment

Originally posted by popdemonic View Post
              Goeran,

what about your plan on rear brake setup?i found one D2 A8 is running separated E-brake from Brembo.That's nice.it has separated bracket for E-brake.let's say 2 brackets on a wheel.i need to inspect our rear spindle hubs if there's some free mounting holes available for the E-brake bracket.
              from what i see,that A8 removed the dust shield and mounting the E-brake bracket instead.i wish to fabricate mine and get some BBK on the rear
              for a better braking balanced.will let you know once the project has begun since now i stuck on the motor and some other stuffs maybe a couple months until i sorted one good used brembo E-brake.
              Sounds interesting, but for now I will use Thuppu´s rear BBK adapter and re-use the S6 caliper with bigger discs 310x22 from the A8 instead of 257mm or what they where

Cheers
              2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)

Comment

The weekend passed and nothing got done, but today I went to my friends garage and we started dismantle the car as I arrived with a new car (in parts) my friend has already started and only the goodie part was left

Exhaust, front subframe, shocks, front and rear brakes etc. got taken out and nothing was rusted to the vehicle, probably as I wash it every week and grease things up when needed. Noticed some extra part that needs paint and also I haven´t got the special tool for my Bilsteins, ordered that today, so it´s a bit of stand still for now, will get my Porsche caliper back from the paintshop this week and perhaps all the brake discs/pads etc. Meanwhile if I got the time the rear subframe with everything will get torn down. So a little progress is going on

Out with the old and in with the new. The white box is my B12 kit and the brownish looking has more painted chassie part for the rear:

Only thing I will reuse is the wheel bearings, front struts and rear hubs, every other thing is brand new or sandblasted and powdercoated. Was intending to reuse the lower control arm or what they are called but one had a vobble feeling to it (SBP, Swedish Tüv) made a remark about it last summer so they will hit the bin and two freshly will be picked up tomorrow.
                2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)

Comment

Love your thread Wrath!! Impressive work there and total dedication to your URS6. Seeing your pictures is making me wish i was doing the same right now to mine. (I am just about to start the parts find suspension wise.I will be going standard suspension but your brake upgrades are very interesting to me.How does the weight of your new front calipers compare with the satndard URS6 front set up?

I read you didn't like the Lower front arms even though they were supposed to be a good make,can't think of the name of the top of my head.I guess i must avoid them.What have you settled for now.Maybe Genuine Audi front lower arms?

" May the Voursch be with you "

Not that you need it.
                  Last edited by Vorsprung durch Technik; 3 February 2014, 22:31.
                  96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                  96 URS6 plus speck estate
                  94 2.6 80 Avant
                  99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

The brand I used was Meyle HD (high durability) but they one only lasted 5000km so that route I will not go down again, we have a cheap carpart store here in Sweden called Biltema (Cartheme) roughly translated and they only cost 50£ each, have a friend that has driven over 50.000km with his... and mine was a lot more expensive than that. Otherwise I will go Lemförder or Ruville, they are high quality named brand that works great in my eyes. The brakes will be heavier but that´s not a problem as my stereo built weigh over 40kg with damping in the doors and such, just add more power you know

cheers
                    2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)

Comment

You might have missed my edit have another look.
                      94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Wrath View Post
                        we have a cheap carpart store here in Sweden called Biltema (Cartheme) roughly translated and they only cost 50£ each, have a friend that has driven over 50.000km with his...
                        Good to know. I have the Biltema store 200 meters from home.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
                        Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
                        BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
                        BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Christmas is coming early this year Got some parcels from Germany/England/US that contains my new drilled brake disc 360x34, 310x22, 18z Porsche brake pads, UrS6 brake pads, new rear pistons for stock caliper, lower control arms, bolts for the chassie that wasn't reusable , new shock boots, Apikol diff mount, Apikol engine snub and a lot of other stuff that I can´t remember for the moment. Have also left some other stuff at the paint shop so hopefully next week some assembling will take part. Was thinking of doing the head but after finding out that my 3" flex tube has collapsed and plugged the exhaust system down to 0,75" I think I have to try start the car just with my downpipe to see if the stumble at idle has cured, if not the head will get a overhaul as well. Going to get my MDF tomorrow so I can make prototypes for my adapter kit and then have them made in either high strength aluminum or titanium as I have a friends dad that work with this material.
                          2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)

Comment

Any pictures of the nice new parts?
                            94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

No haven't got any picture of it yet, as it still in packages as I'm going to deliver it to the garage, can take some picture later if you want...
                              2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)

Comment

Yes please would be excellent as i have not pulled one of these cars apart yet.Cheers
                                94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Working...
                                X