No announcement yet.

Urq project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right ok the corsa column is in. I welded the inner shaft as described above and then got a piece of tube that fitted inside the Audi columns outer tube and went over the corsa outer tube. I welded the tube at the corsa end and left the Audi end just pushed over the tube. I then fitted the lot to the car and bolted the Audi outer up. I rotated the motor up out of the way and put it in position I wanted it. Then I tack welded the tube to the Audi tube. Everything was removed and welded all round.

I then removed the pedal box as I want to do something with that. Complete with all its weird linkages and clutch master cylinder it weighed about 6.5kg

Anyhow I refitted the column and then made a bracket from the scuttle pannel down with a big exhaust style clamp around the motor. This will take the reaction torque from the gearbox system.

So just need to sorta a pedal box now. I f ing hate working in a foot well. Give me a engine to build any day.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Files

Comment

Don't you need to replicate the OE double UJ and offset column? From the look of the pics, in a heavy front crash you will be speared the the chest by the column.
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Yep that is the only down side to this. Unless there is something in the corsa column that does the same job.

Hopefully never find out....

Comment

There is a collapsible section on the OE column, maybe you can integrate it?
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

On the oe corsa column? Everything I pulled appart seemed solid ? But surely something must collapse in the corsa setup. I think its likely under a big compresive load that the top shaft will push into the gearbox. It doesn't appear to be one shaft from input to output.

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
              There is a collapsible section on the OE column, maybe you can integrate it?
              The stock Audi setup won't fit now as there is no room. It's a tight fit length wise. The way the audi setup decouples is worrying and now I see it, its the thing if nightmares. Obviously they don't fail but if it were to push appart. :mad:

Comment

There is a convoluted collapsible section on the Audi column.
                I really think you need some kind of mechanical safety strategy, it would be good to understand how the Corsa deals with it. Otherwise it's a 1950s death trap, especially in an I5 where there is **** all crumple distance before the gearbox and block hit the firewall.
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Ok did some.reading and found this.

Dismantle corsa column top part remove 3 bolts holding it to epas unit,the corsa shaft joins the epas unit via a collapsable spline drill the nylon pins out from spline and tap off outer spline piece,this is the bit to cut and weld to the tvr column so it taps/slides back into place and can collapse if all goes wrong,

I didn't split the corsa column at that point and its still in there so I should be ok.

Comment

Gt35 came back from my turbo guy. They say go big or go home so I went from the stock 82mm wheel to a billet 84 mm wheel. I could of gone bigger but this one is ment to spool as quick as a stock one but respond faster between gears. Also good for 700bhp on fancy fuel...

I pick up the tdi engine tomorrow too.

Attached Files

Comment

• Tdi engine romoved from an a6 today. Needs stripped and converted to 20vt now.

Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by diesel des View Post

Tdi engine romoved from an a6 today. Needs stripped and converted to 20vt now.
                        No bother to you.

Will be in the queue when it's done.

Comment

• Originally posted by macspring View Post
                          No bother to you.

Will be in the queue when it's done.

Cheers. Second time around on the stroker build makes things easier.

Got a fair bit done today. Tdi stripped. It had a screwed water pump bearing which collapsed and then stripped the timing belt. Then bust the camshaft. Rest of engine looks fine. So I set to modifying the block by welding on a piece of steel near a water way. Deck needs skimmed anyhow to get the right compression. So need to leave the block into the machine shop with the pistons to get bored and honed to size and the deck skimmed slightly to square it up. Will also get them to check the crank. Then I can do a dry build to check compression and get the block skimmed again to suit.

Then I got the back brakes finished. 312mm x 25 discs with vw transporter calipers. Stock s2 cables look like they will work. Just need to make up a few bits to fit them up.

Attached Files

Comment

• Crank pistons and block left to the machine shop so the bores can be done to suit the pistons. Pistons are 81.93 mm with bores being 82mm. Crank looks good so they will polish it and order the correct bearings.

Picked up a 2007 rs4 v8 0a3 gearbox. They are longer and wider so might need to get the plasma cutter and welder going on the tunnel again. Advantages are they have a static torque distribution to more at the rear though they can transfare upto 80% power to whichever end grips best. It has much shorter ratios and they are closer so 5th in this is similar to 4th in the 01e boxes. Also they have faster changing syncros. Also need different front shafts and a shorter prop... And a custom gear linkage... And custom mounting brackets.

I have picket up suitable driveshafts now too.

Attached Files

Comment

• Got a fair bit done today. Sold the azev rims and a ur Quattro gearbox. Need to top up the piggy bank. I have got the block back from the machine shop. Did a dry build of the engine to measure clearances. Need to skim another 1.2 mm from the deck to give a compression ratio of 8.15:1. That's a total of 1.4 mm skimmed to leave a 1mm clearance between the piston and head.
                              I measured the piston volume at 20cc. I also had to grind a bit at the bottom of the cylinders to give clearance for the rods. Stripped it all down again to get the extra work done. Changed the oil and filter on the urs4 and modified the crank breather system so it now drains back to the sump without me having to empty it after a few emergency starts. Also changed an abs sensor and got the abs light out.

Attached Files

Comment

• Just picked up a RS4 box for my 90 and was thinking it be nice to get one in the ur when I get working on her. Where are you thinking of getting the propshaft shorten by?

Comment

Working...
                                X