No announcement yet.

New S2 Avant Nothelle N300 owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today I tested the injectors. Under pressure, no leaks at all and when engine cranking, all giving a nice clean spray pattern. I didn't measure the amount as I couldn't find a way to do it whilst the rail is still on the car.
    Then I tried the crank sensor Trist lent me. Its identical to the one I have. It made no difference, still no start. Whilst the sensor was out, I moved the fly wheel around so I could see the crank position pin. Its there, clean and undamaged.
    Now, after thinking about everything I have done and what my Vag mechanic man said, I need to remove the bottom pulley and inspect it for damage. I have ordered a new top pulley, bolt and washer but they will take a few days as the pulley is coming from Germany. I have a nasty feeling that something has moved down there
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• From your pics the cam and crank look in sync.
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• My 2P worth
        Chef’s billet steel pulley will not have moved.

Anyway, if the timing was out between the crank and cam the fuel pump wouldn’t run.

If the Flywheel Zero Mark is bisected by the edge of the bell housing window and the camshaft sprocket marks line up then the belt is correct but the cams could still be out if the top sprocket has moved.
        I think you need to take the cam cover off and check the marks on the camchain sprockets. If you suspect it may have moved, do a compression test.

Otherwise, if all that is good

Last time it ran was on the stock coils and POS units.
        It has never run since you fitted the red coilpacks.

I would try refitting the stock coils and POS, I know you did this before but it’s possible something was plugged in wrong.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

• Thanks Alex and John.
          I have replaced the original coils (again) double checked all the wire connections and no start. We tried swapping the connectors over to incorrect and we got pops and lock up indicating incorrect spark timing. The top pulley has a little play which is not right. It should be solid. So I will replace that next.

​​​​​​​
          Nothelle S2 Avant
          Black Ur project
          Ocianic Ur project gone
          S2 Coupe project gone
          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Can you see if the cams are actually turning?

I really hope your cam pulley isn't spinning on the end of the cam without turning it...

Comment

• John raises a good point - have you taken off the cam cover the check the actual cam timing?
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• If your are sure that your car gets fuel in every cylinder .. take of one sparkplug at a time , start with cylinder one ,, disconnect the other injectors ,, crank the engine ,, there should be a mist of fuel ,, put something over the hole .. like a tovel .. that catches the mist .. if all cylinders got fuel ,,, then check one sparklug at a time ,, start with cylinder one ...disconnect the other injectors ,, you can do this at the same time as you checking the fuel in the cylinders.

After completing this and its ok ,, there is no reason why it would not start ,,, IF something is not of with cams ,, to start a car or a least get it to run .. you need spark and fuel. And if you feel that one injoctor givs a not enough fuel .. its no problem the car should start .. check these thing in the order and way i described and get back after that.

Does it smell unburnt fuel from the exhaust behind or smell fuel in the oil cap that you
                fill oil ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                  John raises a good point - have you taken off the cam cover the check the actual cam timing?
                  Not yet.
                  Nothelle S2 Avant
                  Black Ur project
                  Ocianic Ur project gone
                  S2 Coupe project gone
                  Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Originally posted by S2_avant 19930325 View Post
                    If your are sure that your car gets fuel in every cylinder .. take of one sparkplug at a time , start with cylinder one ,, disconnect the other injectors ,, crank the engine ,, there should be a mist of fuel ,, put something over the hole .. like a tovel .. that catches the mist .. if all cylinders got fuel ,,, then check one sparklug at a time ,, start with cylinder one ...disconnect the other injectors ,, you can do this at the same time as you checking the fuel in the cylinders.

After completing this and its ok ,, there is no reason why it would not start ,,, IF something is not of with cams ,, to start a car or a least get it to run .. you need spark and fuel. And if you feel that one injoctor givs a not enough fuel .. its no problem the car should start .. check these thing in the order and way i described and get back after that.

Does it smell unburnt fuel from the exhaust behind or smell fuel in the oil cap that you
                    fill oil ?
                    Done each spark at a time. All good. Yes, the oil smells of petrol. I will change it before I try again.
                    Nothelle S2 Avant
                    Black Ur project
                    Ocianic Ur project gone
                    S2 Coupe project gone
                    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Could the oil pressure relief valve be stuck? Would this cause the buckets to over fill and lock? How do I check the valve is working?
                      Nothelle S2 Avant
                      Black Ur project
                      Ocianic Ur project gone
                      S2 Coupe project gone
                      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Have you checked all the injectors ?
                        '
                        Could you post a picture on one spark plug ?

To keep it simple ... if you have fuel and you have spark it should start. IF the fuel and the spark works in the correct order ,,, with that said .. have you checked if you have the right firing order ? the cables ?

Comment

• Since you have spark ,, the crankshaft "sensor" is ok .. if it would be at fault ,, you would not have spark.

Comment

• Have you done a compression test yet ?

Comment

• Originally posted by S2_avant 19930325 View Post
                              Have you done a compression test yet ?
                              No. I'm hopefully going to borrow a gauge today.
                              Nothelle S2 Avant
                              Black Ur project
                              Ocianic Ur project gone
                              S2 Coupe project gone
                              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                                On a non start I always start with and confirm the basics first:

Check fuel delivery
                                Check spark
                                Check compression
                                Check Timing
                                Basics first.

Indigo ABY coupé
                                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                                X