Originally posted by Error404 View Post
    Yes they are dog ****. You get what you pay for. Go for Lemforder
    Seconded Dave, Lemforder all the way.
    96 URS6 plus speck saloon
    96 URS6 plus speck estate
    94 2.6 80 Avant
    99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

I'm going to disagree for a change. I don't think Lemforder is what it used to be, I bought a propshaft vibration damper for my A3 quattro and a year later it's jamming and looks like it's de-laminating, probably teh reason for the jamming. I also bought front suspension arms for a suspension re-build I was doing. They were painted when I bought them and came in genuine packaging, bought from ECP, so I shouldn't have had to paint them but I decided to anyway, just to keep them good and better protected, 6 months later the rust was coming through from under the paint all over the parts, time to avoid them is my opinion, sorry!

Comment

That's for all the advice. I will avoid Topran from now on. I see my originals have BOGE stamped on them along with the Audi part number so will seek them out.

I've been cleaning the rear hubs today. Now soaking overnight in Detox to get in all the nooks and crannies.

Before...................

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 4 photos.
        Nothelle S2 Avant
        Black Ur project
        Ocianic Ur project gone
        S2 Coupe project gone
        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

And after. Note how much of the wire wheel I wore away!

This gallery has 3 photos.
          Nothelle S2 Avant
          Black Ur project
          Ocianic Ur project gone
          S2 Coupe project gone
          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Before I press my new bearings in, can anyone tell me if the S4 B6 brake upgrade works with the standard back plates? The discs are 300 x 22 and The back plates 300 across. Its going to be very tight if it fits at all!
            Nothelle S2 Avant
            Black Ur project
            Ocianic Ur project gone
            S2 Coupe project gone
            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

A few more pics of progress.

I found someone local to do my engine. Off it went. Hopefully it won't need any major surgery

I've started on the front struts. I'm going to keep them as standard for now. I'm told they are RS2 springs and shocks. They seen good and struts should clean up well.

I've also painted my rear hub carriers. It was a nice sunny day and ideal for painting.

The fuel lines are off the car. Has anyone made up lines off the car? I'm worried about getting the length spot on. Any tips?

Sorry the pics are all over the place. I don't know how that happened?
              This gallery has 7 photos.
              Nothelle S2 Avant
              Black Ur project
              Ocianic Ur project gone
              S2 Coupe project gone
              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                Yes they are dog ****. You get what you pay for. Go for Lemforder
                The only Topran part I ever used was a coolant expansion cap on the C5 Allroad - replacing a very tired looking original one - it lasted about 60 miles before the system over pressurised, popped the top hose and dumped coolant down the M1... only saving grace was it happened just before a service station and I still had the old expansion cap in the car. Lucky escape, but yeah - Absolute garbage - never again !
                Paul Nugent
                Webmaster http://S2central.net
                Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Slow progress due to smallholding work taking priority. It's that time of year when everything needs doing in the field! I did get one front strut back together after painting and managed to find some nice S4 brakes on ebay. I'm in the process of cleaning and painting them and have ordered new seals from AutoDoc.

Pipe has arrived and I'm half way through making up the new fuel lines. Pics here when done. Roll bars also cleaned and painted.

This gallery has 8 photos.
                  Nothelle S2 Avant
                  Black Ur project
                  Ocianic Ur project gone
                  S2 Coupe project gone
                  Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Dave
                    Slow progress due to smallholding work taking priority. It's that time of year when everything needs doing in the field! I did get one front strut back together after painting and managed to find some nice S4 brakes on ebay. I'm in the process of cleaning and painting them and have ordered new seals from AutoDoc.

Pipe has arrived and I'm half way through making up the new fuel lines. Pics here when done. Roll bars also cleaned and painted.

Forgot to include my helper !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Nothelle S2 Avant
                    Black Ur project
                    Ocianic Ur project gone
                    S2 Coupe project gone
                    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Your sunbathing dog is hilarious. The cleaned and painted strut looks really good. What paint did you use?

Comment

• She is a great help . I used Bilt Hamber Zinc primer then their two pack chassis paint. Its a bit of a pain as you are meant to leave 96 hours for the primer to set!
                        Nothelle S2 Avant
                        Black Ur project
                        Ocianic Ur project gone
                        S2 Coupe project gone
                        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Helpful in lightening your mood if nothing else.
                          I've just taken a quick look on the paint and coatings page of the Bilt Hamber website. Would I be right in saying you used Electrox followed by Epoxy Mastic as they seem like good candidates for the task.

Comment

• Yes, that's the stuff. They were doing a special offer if you bought 4 tins of the Electrox. It's not cheap, but I only want to do the job once! I also used their detox which you can see in the tub. The great thing about detox is that you can use it over and over again. When I was happy I had cleaned ALL of the rust off, I used a light cote of hammerite curust in the nooks and cranes that the wire brush wouldn't reach. The worst thing is that I only have one set of spring compressors and they wouldn't come off the spring (not long enough) so I'm having to do one single strut at a time.
                            Nothelle S2 Avant
                            Black Ur project
                            Ocianic Ur project gone
                            S2 Coupe project gone
                            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Thanks for the tips, I see what you mean about the price.
                              I'll order some and have a go at this myself. I'm already a convert of Deox-C, it's like a veritable magic potion I tell thee.

Comment

• Yes, all their products seem good.
                                I've gone for rustbusters underseal though as I wasn't keen on the colour choice of the Bilt range. I wanted black and Dynax is brown.
                                Nothelle S2 Avant
                                Black Ur project
                                Ocianic Ur project gone
                                S2 Coupe project gone
                                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Working...
                                X