Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2EvaporativeEmissionsCanisterInRightFenderCavity.jpg

Comment

• Fitted. Thanks very much for the pics.

I had to use a spacer here. Have I missed something?

Connections look ok?

Spent more time driving around looking for the grommets than doing the fit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Cant tell by your pics. But hose which is closer to the door goes to the engine. Also that hose goes through hole which is closer to to headlight. Maybe there is no difference.

1989 Audi 80 Quattro
        1994 Audi 80 Quattro Competition

Comment

• The orientation of the hoses wasn't difficult because one hose was still connected to the canister and its end came up just where the return fuel line was. The other end was still attached to the heat shield which runs under the brake servo so the connections were pretty much fool proof! I'm still mystified as to why I had to use a spacer on the middle mount. The top mount wouldn't fit on the inner wing without it. 7zap shows a spacer on the bottom mount but tried that and it wouldn't work.

Anything else I need to fit before the engine goes in?
          Nothelle S2 Avant
          Black Ur project
          Ocianic Ur project gone
          S2 Coupe project gone
          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Indicator wiring? You might need some dumdum for the black plastic guard that sits between the wing and the a pillar.
            Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

• Originally posted by irishs2 View Post
              Indicator wiring? You might need some dumdum for the black plastic guard that sits between the wing and the a pillar.
              Do you mean the arch liner? What is dumdum?
              Nothelle S2 Avant
              Black Ur project
              Ocianic Ur project gone
              S2 Coupe project gone
              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Originally posted by Tractor Dave

Do you mean the arch liner? What is dumdum?
                There’s another plastic piece that runs up the back of the wing where it joins the A pillar. Dumdum is that sticky rubber mastic stuff, like they use to seal round the rear light clusters.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                sigpic

Comment

• Dave, (and Rxl),

As you asked folks to eyeball things, I did & noticed a difference between your rack install & Rxl's. What I want to ask about is grouped around the length of bolt ends protruding through nylok nuts. Perhaps the difference is due to a LHD vs RHD thing, I don't know, but in any case both of your installs appear to have nuts that may not be "in safety" (i.e. imperical parlance for full height bolt threads right through and protruding from the nut's nylon portion by one or two full turns (3 threads on aircraft)) where perhaps they really ought to as they're steering stuff (a.k.a. flight controls) ( Dave, your inner tie-rod end fittings to the frangible bracket and that bracket to the ram (and shouldn't there be washers here); and Rxl's damper attachment to the rack damper bracket.

3 more Questions: Dave, are you using the OEM stud-plate that fits the bracket from behind? If yes, why do the studs not protrude like Rxl's? Rxl, similarly, could you fit the next length of bolt to attach the damper without having too much shank that might prevent proper clamping; and yet perhaps better prevent that nut from backing off?

I can't seem to post (the subject copied, saved, & cropped) photos, but the 2 photos are; 1st Dave's:

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/welcom...75#post2032675

& 2nd Rxl's (see 3rd photo here):

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...40#post2031940

Thanks for your attention.

Comment

• Originally posted by newsh View Post

There’s another plastic piece that runs up the back of the wing where it joins the A pillar. Dumdum is that sticky rubber mastic stuff, like they use to seal round the rear light clusters.
                    I think that bit is missing from my goodies box. Anyone got a picture?
                    Nothelle S2 Avant
                    Black Ur project
                    Ocianic Ur project gone
                    S2 Coupe project gone
                    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Originally posted by Lago Blue View Post
                      Dave, (and Rxl),

As you asked folks to eyeball things, I did & noticed a difference between your rack install & Rxl's. What I want to ask about is grouped around the length of bolt ends protruding through nylok nuts. Perhaps the difference is due to a LHD vs RHD thing, I don't know, but in any case both of your installs appear to have nuts that may not be "in safety" (i.e. imperical parlance for full height bolt threads right through and protruding from the nut's nylon portion by one or two full turns (3 threads on aircraft)) where perhaps they really ought to as they're steering stuff (a.k.a. flight controls) ( Dave, your inner tie-rod end fittings to the frangible bracket and that bracket to the ram (and shouldn't there be washers here); and Rxl's damper attachment to the rack damper bracket.

3 more Questions: Dave, are you using the OEM stud-plate that fits the bracket from behind? If yes, why do the studs not protrude like Rxl's? Rxl, similarly, could you fit the next length of bolt to attach the damper without having too much shank that might prevent proper clamping; and yet perhaps better prevent that nut from backing off?

I can't seem to post (the subject copied, saved, & cropped) photos, but the 2 photos are; 1st Dave's:

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/welcom...75#post2032675

& 2nd Rxl's (see 3rd photo here):

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...40#post2031940

Thanks for your attention.
                      Yes, I used the original bracket. I think the difference here is that I have used stainless steel nylock nuts which are taller than the originals and I added a washer. There is a small amount of thread protruding from each nut and I'm confident they won't come undone. I didn't have the original nuts otherwise I would have used them.

Thanks for looking though. Any advice is appreciated.
                      ​​​​​
                      Nothelle S2 Avant
                      Black Ur project
                      Ocianic Ur project gone
                      S2 Coupe project gone
                      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Washers are unnecessary. There are no washers from factory, because it is pretty thick material and washers serve no purpose there.

Regarding safety, even when both nuts come loose, the bracket with two studs is impossible to remove and track rods can't come loose.
                        1989 Audi 80 Quattro
                        1994 Audi 80 Quattro Competition

Comment

• Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post

I think that bit is missing from my goodies box. Anyone got a picture?
                          This bit no 1.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 1 photos.
                          Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

• Thanks very much. I don't have them in my box so if anyone has a left and right, let me know. They are on Audi tradition but I think its still broken
                            Nothelle S2 Avant
                            Black Ur project
                            Ocianic Ur project gone
                            S2 Coupe project gone
                            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• I fitted the door cards. Fiddly job.
                              I’m sure someone else has a good way of doing the lock button but I found it easy if I removed the plastic grip and put a length of shrink wrap wire insulation on the end, leaving a few inches protruding. You can then thread the shrink wrap into the hole and it guides the rod into the hole as you offer the door card up.

Still looking for the rest of the front handles if anyone has a pair knocking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Nothelle S2 Avant
                              Black Ur project
                              Ocianic Ur project gone
                              S2 Coupe project gone
                              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
                                I have used stainless steel nylock nuts.
                                Any advice is appreciated.
                                ​​​​​
                                I would not use stainless nuts and bolts in suspension and steering, they don't provide proper strength degree. OEM steel fasteners are recommended there (for me personally they are a must).

Comment

Working...
                                X