New S2 Avant Nothelle N300 owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gavs20v View Post
    Great work , which flaring tool did you use ?
    Thanks
    Gav
    This one from Amazon. Well made and easy to use.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Fun and games today doing the back brakes. I bought B6 S4 calipers and was hoping they would be an easy fit.
      No such luck!

The S4 hoses have a lug so I filed that off.

Autodoc sent the wrong retainer springs. Luckily the old ones are still useable.

Then I found that the hose is too short

And the handbrake cables have the wrong ends. I have a slug and I need a snail (ball).

I also had to shave the near side caliper carrier slightly as it was fouling the hub carrier. Why not on the off side. I’m perplexed.

All look nice but now I need to sort the handbrake cable and outer hose issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• If you can't find the suitable Audi hose, go online and check out companies that make up hoses. There are a myriad of variables so you can pick overall length, end connectors male/female etc and in some cases even the angle which the connector screws into caliper. I had to get some made up for my rear calipers with a banjo fitting instead of the usual end and that made short work of going round a tight corner.

Comment

• Hel.... best quality.... and custom made to order via a great online tool...
          Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
          S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
          '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

• Thanks guys. HEL looks like a good option. I will measure up tomorrow and order a pair.
            I did some research on here and found a previous thread on doing this conversion. Some found they had to grind the caliper carrier slightly around the bottom bolt hole, some did not. I think that's just down to the casting of the hub carrier and how much finishing it had in the factory.
            I'm still perplexed over the handbrake cable end. I had a look on 7Zap and it appears there was a change to the S4 around 2004 (the year model my brakes came from) and I think around that time the cable changed from a slug to a ball. I don't really want to fork out on another pair of handbrake cables so I will have a play in the garage tomorrow and see if I can modify them somehow. I've already considered taking the lever off the original caliper and swapping it over but the spring mounts are different.

I've also noticed a small weep from my new dif sump plug
            Nothelle S2 Avant
            Black Ur project
            Ocianic Ur project gone
            S2 Coupe project gone
            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Originally posted by LHD_Kid View Post
              Hel.... best quality.... and custom made to order via a great online tool...
              Got mine of these guys easy to order whatever you need custom made and delivered within 48 hrs, great service

Comment

• Originally posted by Rikki Kitto View Post

Got mine of these guys easy to order whatever you need custom made and delivered within 48 hrs, great service
                Do the custom made HEL lines fit into the mount hole where they connect to the hard line? And what size do I order at the hard line connection side. I know it's 10mm but what about the other size?
                M10x1.00 or M10x1.25? I take it circlip version fits in the holder hole?
                Last edited by Tractor Dave; 12 September 2018, 23:32.
                Nothelle S2 Avant
                Black Ur project
                Ocianic Ur project gone
                S2 Coupe project gone
                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• No unfortunately they don't but unless you source OEM none will. I just made up some holders out of steel to bolt to the leg and keep them in place seems to work OK not sure what size I got I will try find out for you. Call Hel they are really helpful

Comment

• All of the Audi pipework is m10x1 as far as I know I less the s2/n300 was different to my Cq20v which I doubt. I think the vag parts listings may even say on the diagram? If you have an m10x1 bolt to hand (and who hasn't ​​​​​​) try screwing it in to verify.

Comment

• Oops. Just read your rest brakes are s4 so my comment doesn't apply.

Comment

• Thanks everyone for the advice on the brakes. As suggested, I contacted HEL and they were brilliant! They are making me a custom pair, S2 one side and S4 the other. And for a reasonable price! Very impressed.

Today was a good day.
                        I had a phone call from my mate and the engine is done
                        I drove up to see it and it all looks great. Sorry, I was so excited that I forgot to get a picture. We are going to put it in the car next week. I can't wait!

On the way home I stopped off at my local breakers. They had a few older A4's and I found two bolts to replace the ones I toasted with my impact gun. I fitted them tonight and they were an excellent fit. Very happy as my local Audi dealer said they were nla and so did TPS. In fact, I picked up a big bag of nuts, bolts, screws, grommets and even some heat shield. I love Audi bolts. Even off an old car they are clean and rust free with their e-coat.
                        IMG_1930.JPG

Then I had another play with my rear brakes.
                        I had read that the backplates would work with these calipers with a small adjustment (bend). I wasn't happy to run without them as it would have meant that there was nothing between the disk and the outer brake hose. They seem to fit well after the adjustment.

IMG_1933.JPG

I still have to sort the handbrake cables. I have found a local guy who has some S4 B7 cables going and will give them a try. The calipers and discs are also for sale for a good price if anyone here is interested.

Nothelle S2 Avant
                        Black Ur project
                        Ocianic Ur project gone
                        S2 Coupe project gone
                        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Have you thought about doing the handbrake upgrade with the extra small calliper on the back disc, I'm doing mine soon as I can it seems a good upgrade as the original handbrakes never work right for long

Comment

• Originally posted by Rikki Kitto View Post
                            Have you thought about doing the handbrake upgrade with the extra small calliper on the back disc, I'm doing mine soon as I can it seems a good upgrade as the original handbrakes never work right for long
                            No. Not thought of that. The budget is all spent so I'm working with what I have. I'm sure when I sort the cables this will work fine.
                            Nothelle S2 Avant
                            Black Ur project
                            Ocianic Ur project gone
                            S2 Coupe project gone
                            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Budget Come on Dave that must be the funniest thing I've read on this forum . Or is that comment just incase she reads it.

Comment

• Very true

The budget was shot months ago
                                Nothelle S2 Avant
                                Black Ur project
                                Ocianic Ur project gone
                                S2 Coupe project gone
                                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Working...
                                X