No announcement yet.

New S2 Avant Nothelle N300 owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh and check the round plugs on the bulkhead for corrosion ( if it goes through one of those that is..)

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by newsh View Post
      Oh and check the round plugs on the bulkhead for corrosion ( if it goes through one of those that is..)
      Good plan
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Maybe the same problem as the fan wire feed on mine...

Originally posted by newsh View Post
        Before you take the loom out, try just shortening that wire a little and crimping a new tag on the end.

Comment

• My oil still smells of petrol so before I did anything else I swapped it for this.

Apparently it’s good stuff but must be changed after 1k Miles.

I managed to pull the loom out enough so I could work on it. I have now replaced all the connectors and tested each wire to the connector plug and they are all good.
          I then tried again but still had the warning light on autocheck.
          Then I remembered I had fitted another oil sender when all this started. So, put the old one back in and, hey presto, all is good. I’m still showing 5bar plus on my oil gauge all the time but I discovered something else interesting. I have a shim on my oil pressure regulator spring. Should it be there? Is that causing constant high pressure?

So, oil light off, I took her for a nice long drive. 20 miles to my nearest shell garage and filled her up with v power.
          It’s running very smoothly, powerful and willing. I’ve edged up to 4K revs a couple of times. It’s so tempting to go further!
          I still have the wheel bearing to sort, then the car it pretty much useable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Nothelle S2 Avant
          Black Ur project
          Ocianic Ur project gone
          S2 Coupe project gone
          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Just to add to the above, the reason it worked ok hot wired yesterday was due to me bridging the wrong blue/black wire. There is a thin on the left round plug ( which goes to the sender) and a thick on the right round plug (return?). So, in effect I was telling the auto check all was well (when actually it wasn't).
            Nothelle S2 Avant
            Black Ur project
            Ocianic Ur project gone
            S2 Coupe project gone
            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• I've seen shims being made by a Swedish company I think which claimed to increase oil pressure. Not entirely sure they do anything as the spring and plunger are a relief valve and the shim won't make the spring any harder to press. If it stopped the valve opening all the way then maybe it would increase oil pressure. Not a standard item as far as I know and with new shells and all the rebuild work, I can't see you being short of good pressure!

Comment

• Originally posted by steve briance View Post
                I've seen shims being made by a Swedish company I think which claimed to increase oil pressure. Not entirely sure they do anything as the spring and plunger are a relief valve and the shim won't make the spring any harder to press. If it stopped the valve opening all the way then maybe it would increase oil pressure. Not a standard item as far as I know and with new shells and all the rebuild work, I can't see you being short of good pressure!
                Yes, the shim would make the spring harder as it's on the collar of the temperature sender and therefore puts the spring closer to the valve needing a higher pressure to operate.
                Nothelle S2 Avant
                Black Ur project
                Ocianic Ur project gone
                S2 Coupe project gone
                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• The only specs I have seen are from the AAN/3B for the pressure sensor. Doubt whether its different for the ABY.

5-10 Ohms - Engine off
                  70-120 Ohms - Idle
                  170-200 Ohms @3000 RPM

That is measuring from the G terminal to ground. So you can verify that the sensor is producing a signal that makes sense. You could also measure pre and after the connector to see if it varies. If it does then the issue might be the connector itself. If it passes through the connector ok then that leaves the wiring back to the guage.
                  It looks as though the higher the resistance the higher the reading!

Should say thats with engine oil at 80C!

More useless info. Found some VW1301 measurements that equate to oil pressure from the sender. You have to divide by 2 and add 10 to convert to resistance.

350 = 5.0 bar
                  150 = 2.0 bar
                  10 = 0 bar

So converted:

185 Ohms = 5.0 bar
                  85 Ohms = 2.0 bar
                  15 ohms = 0 bar.

Not as accurate as a guage but hopefully that should allow you to determine whether there is an issue.
                  Last edited by twoqu; 26 July 2019, 16:31.

Comment

• That's excellent, thanks twoqu. I will need to buy a new multi meter as mines doesn't have an adjustable range on Ohms.

And I'm dumping the running in oil immediately. The bucket tappets don't like it at all!
                    Nothelle S2 Avant
                    Black Ur project
                    Ocianic Ur project gone
                    S2 Coupe project gone
                    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Are you sure the multimeter is not autoranging?

Comment

• Originally posted by twoqu View Post
                        Are you sure the multimeter is not autoranging?
                        Could be. There is only one setting for Ohms on the dial. It's a cheap one from screwfix. Engine off it said 0.6. Do I just move the decimal point?
                        Nothelle S2 Avant
                        Black Ur project
                        Ocianic Ur project gone
                        S2 Coupe project gone
                        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Having hurt my neck and eyes, does it not say Auto Range on it?
                          If 0.6 is 6 ohms that would be within spec. If its 0.6 ohms then its a bit low.
                          Just try it when the engine is next started and see what it reads unless you have something with a known resistance to test the scale.

Guess its a matter of how many 0 are before the decimal point!
                          Last edited by twoqu; 26 July 2019, 23:06.

Comment

• Originally posted by twoqu View Post
                            Having hurt my neck and eyes, does it not say Auto Range on it?
                            If 0.6 is 6 ohms that would be within spec. If its 0.6 ohms then its a bit low.
                            Just try it when the engine is next started and see what it reads unless you have something with a known resistance to test the scale.

Guess its a matter of how many 0 are before the decimal point!
                            Yes it does. I never noticed that! I will have a play tomorrow. Thanks very much.
                            Nothelle S2 Avant
                            Black Ur project
                            Ocianic Ur project gone
                            S2 Coupe project gone
                            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Error 404 kindly pointed out that the shim is fitted to the ABY/AAN engine. Pic from his re build thread. Its staying put.
                              Nothelle S2 Avant
                              Black Ur project
                              Ocianic Ur project gone
                              S2 Coupe project gone
                              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Too be clear you need to remove the terminal to the guage to test the sender readings. So its just the sender to ground.

Comment

Working...
                                X