Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying an S2 Coupe - Am I walking into a world of pain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You could try compressing the “mushroom” part of the boot with a hose clip. (Like using big zip ties as piston ring compressors).
    You’ll need something pretty heavy duty to get the squash though, not sure if a jubilee clip is up to it!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

• Incidentally I have 2 of my cars on Superflex subframe bushes, easy to fit and no additional noise.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

• Superflex for me. Many years of service with no issues and I arrived at this point after destroying a couple of audi bushes trying to fit the damned things.

I had my subframes galvanised and then sprayed black epoxy. The material added in that process made refitting the bushes a little tighter but you can be sure you arent going to scrape that coating off having a spanner fight.

Comment

• I've done a few. A long threaded M10 bolt through the middle. A socket or an old top mount to push the bush in and a threaded pipe with a cap on the other side as a brace for the bush to go into. Add a nut and some washers and tighten it down. I used washing up liquid on the bush to ease installation. There's a surprising amount of flex in the bush and once it clears the hole, it's quite easy to push them through.
          Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

• Not sure if the 10M ones are easier than the M12 versions, but I'm trying using one of these kits Bush and Bearing Removal Tool Set Press and Pull sleeve Kit 34-90mm | eBay and so far not much is working. They are an utter pin in the...

Comment

• Try some of this, or similar:

Halfords Silicone Spray Lubricant 500ml | Halfords UK

Really helps with rubber slipperiness.

Comment

• Great to see you taking on an S2 - I followed your A6 4F build thread almost religiously and did pretty much all the mods you did (except for the 3G+ upgrade) on my own Avant - i'm sure you'll do great on your S2 as well!

Comment

• Success. finally got the first bush in.

What I did was to use a few M14 nuts & a couple of washers, which as the tool presses the bush in it acts on the centre of the bush first deforming the rubber forward then the outer edge of the press tool connects about 6mm later and that makes sure the bush goes in square.

tool mod.jpg

So 2 destroyed bushes later (pre press modification) the first bush is finally in with the modified tool.
                  bush1.jpg
                  Last edited by B5NUT; 1 November 2021, 21:06.

Comment

• Well done!

Some silicone lube will make it slide in way easier.

Comment

• Yes was using silicone lube. Thanks for the tip

Comment

• Originally posted by newsh View Post
                        Incidentally I have 2 of my cars on Superflex subframe bushes, easy to fit and no additional noise.
                        Agree. Supaflex subframe bushes are better than stock and no firmer noisier, just great body control.... HTH
                        The Perfectionist
                        sigpic
                        Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
                          Well done!

Some silicone lube will make it slide in way easier.
                          Always....
                          The Perfectionist
                          sigpic
                          Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

• If I cannot get the rest in tomorrow then I will go supaflex. I'll give them one more try as they are cheap enough if they get damaged.

Comment

• Originally posted by B5NUT View Post
                              If I cannot get the rest in tomorrow then I will go supaflex. I'll give them one more try as they are cheap enough if they get damaged.
                              You are braver than me. I went straight to split bushes!

Good luck!
                              The Perfectionist
                              sigpic

Comment

• So still looking around for front shocks, just wondered if anyone has a part number of a shock that fit.

Found this Bilstein shock which looks to have the right dimeter and it states it fits the car, but so have other shocks that don't fit!
                                shock.jpg
                                Last edited by B5NUT; 2 November 2021, 14:46.

Comment

Working...
                                X