Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying an S2 Coupe - Am I walking into a world of pain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by B5NUT View Post
    Note please don't have a go at the standard shocks, a set of Koni will be going on next year. I just want something on the car at the moment where the oil is still inside the shocks..
    You've got decent parts there

Comment

• I have used them a few times but they are now my last choice. Sometimes they have parts you can't find anywhere else and their prices are hard to ignore. I fell out with them big time last year when they sent me a lhd part and refused to pay return poatage. This was about the third time in a row they sent the incorrect or faulty part.
      I was using Winpart in Holland a lot, but since Brexit, they no longer sell to the UK. Winpart after service was brilliant.
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Brexit the gift that keeps on giving I've never used winpart, but looking at there site I see the same mistakes that come up on all the sites, like for example the front hubs shown are the the 4 hole version rather then the 5 hole version that were used on all the aby cars.

Originally posted by John. View Post

You've got decent parts there
        Over the years of repairing Audi's, I've always tried to find the manufacture of the original parts, and buy them rather than the same part but with the added Audi tax. Let face it Audi don't make bushes, CV boots, bearing, brakes, brake pipes etc etc, they are just farmed out to other manufactures.
        Last edited by B5NUT; 18 October 2021, 19:24.

Comment

• It's a nice shiny pile of parts to have
          Nothelle S2 Avant
          Black Ur project
          Ocianic Ur project gone
          S2 Coupe project gone
          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Anyone know if swapping the suspension on the S2 is straight forward enough? On the A4's & A6's models there is the pinch bolt from hell, which I've had to deal with many times. Does the S2 have any part that will be a nightmare to remove, like removing the shocks from the strut?

Comment

• Easy peasy
              Nothing like the B5 ball joint forest and the long bolt at the top!
              Allen key, box spanner and sleeve nut tool for the top mount.
              Combi spanner through slot for wishbones.
              Socket set for strut to hub.
              Sometimes the bolts/ captive nuts are tricky on the ARB rubbers.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

• No major horrors. Good guides on here. Getting the cap off the housing can be fun but having a big plumbers wrench can help.
                Nothelle S2 Avant
                Black Ur project
                Ocianic Ur project gone
                S2 Coupe project gone
                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Originally posted by B5NUT View Post
                  Anyone know if swapping the suspension on the S2 is straight forward enough? On the A4's & A6's models there is the pinch bolt from hell, which I've had to deal with many times. Does the S2 have any part that will be a nightmare to remove, like removing the shocks from the strut?
                  Welcome to the club and congratulations on the purchase. There are x2 M14 bolts on each strut to hub. Fronts have the steering arms and anti roll bar drop links. The rears have control arms and drop links. The drop links can be stubborn to remove. I'd replace them and the top mounts,
                  Stuart
                  B2 90 quattro with boost

Comment

• You’d do well to mark the position of the struts on the hubs as there’s quite a bit of play on the bolts.
                    Easy does it with the little bolts holding the brake line brackets (I’ve had to drill them out and retap) and the plastic clip on the hub bolt.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

• Not sure I will be able to do that, as everything will be stripped shot blasted and powered coated and all new nuts & bolts fitted. Also what size hub bolt is fitted, as ETKA list two options M14 & M16 but does not state which is for the ABY model.

Comment

• Ok, fair enough, well without the marks it’s just a bit more complicated setting the 4 wheel alignment.
                        I think bolt size may have changed part way through the ABY, best to measure your bolts.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

• So whoever fitted the spacers & wheels on the car was a total and utter prat to say it mildly. I found today that the front wheel bolts were way too short, and were only in by a 3-4 threads, no wonder all the front bolts were not torqued up and soo easy to remove. Thankfully I had some longer bolts (10mm longer) and they all torqued up fine so don't need front hubs any more. Cannot believe the down right dangerous modification people do to their cars.
                          Last edited by B5NUT; 19 October 2021, 22:45.

Comment

• That’s pretty bad mate
                            People certainly do some stupid ****

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

• Never tried to return anything from autodoc, got wrong rear calipers 3 times but other than that no problem of the 25 orders I have there or something like that
                              https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...-3b-1991-coupe

Comment

• Took the car over to automark this morning, looks like the only modification was the ECU, wastegate & N75. So happy days to restore the car back to factory spec. Only other issue was noticed was the smaller diff seal and the seal around the bellows was leaking. So now I can finally start to rip this car apart.

Comment

Working...
                                X