Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying an S2 Coupe - Am I walking into a world of pain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robo View Post
    These cars need at least to be home fried to enjoy the drive.
    Agree. If you've driven a mildly chipped car you won t go back. I love my Nothelle chip.
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

I'm happy with the car standard, it was one of the items on my wanted list. Other than a K&N air filter (now removed) It's just a case of working through the rest of the bodges done on the car over the years, and get the car as close to factory as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by B5NUT View Post
        I'm happy with the car standard, it was one of the items on my wanted list. Other than a K&N air filter (now removed) It's just a case of working through the rest of the bodges done on the car over the years, and get the car as close to factory as possible.
        Fair play to you.

Comment

Anyone know how to unplug the connector going to the bottom of the radiator? I cannot see any clips on the connector so does it just pull out.

Comment

They are tight, think squeeze on the short edges and plenty of wiggling.
            Last edited by Bowie69; 5 October 2021, 18:45.

Comment

There aren't any clips. It's just pull on the main body of the connector and wiggle as above,
              91 Modded 3B
              14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

So I've a slight leak in the drivers side footwell. I've checked the sunroof drains are not block and ran the tool down the drains and they were fairly clean. So I'm thinking it's either the seal around plastic cover for the fuses & relays or the seal for the bonnet release cable, any other seals I should be looking at?

Never mind found this thread. https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...er-leak-thread Let the fun begin.
                Last edited by B5NUT; 6 October 2021, 19:39.

Comment

Originally posted by B5NUT View Post
                  So I've a slight leak in the drivers side footwell. I've checked the sunroof drains are not block and ran the tool down the drains and they were fairly clean. So I'm thinking it's either the seal around plastic cover for the fuses & relays or the seal for the bonnet release cable, any other seals I should be looking at?

Never mind found this thread. https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...er-leak-thread Let the fun begin.
                  Happily we have all been there before you.
                  Most of the leak fixes are in that thread. There was a seam in the scuttle that leaked on one of my Avants, that took a while to find but easy fix once I’d found where it was dripping through.
                  The bonnet pull grommet is a common one but usually doesn’t leak if the drain in the corner of the scuttle is clear.
                  You can get a leak from a poorly fitted windscreen, if the trims have not been put back right sometimes water gets under the gutter trim and runs down inside the A pillar trim.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

I recall mine having a leak from a poor fitted windscreen though scuttle panel and blocked drains can be an issue as well.
                    1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

• Looks to be an original screen, I can see the dealer sticker In the top right..
                      ​​​​​

Comment

• It is the original screen but it's starting to delaminate around the edges. there is also a small chip that has turned into a crack. Just waiting on Autoglass to get a replacement screen, said it was going to take a couple of weeks so I guess they are having one made.

Comment

• A whole world of pain but so much excitement when on form

Comment

• Agreed , they can be a pain in the **** but when running right they are brilliant

Comment

• What I'm finding hard at the moment is getting parts, as it needs a lot of them... The car was MOT's at the start of September, but I did not feel the MOT was worth the paper it was printed on. So had it retested this week by my MOT tester that I know very well. Told him to perform the MOT but not to register it, and guess what it failed

Brake performance (They are bloody awful)
                              The steering gaiter has split exposing the rack
                              Rear subframe it's very thin around one of the ABR mounts
                              front near side shock is leaking like hell (These were dry when I got the car so the seals must have failed on the drive home)
                              Rear offside shock slight leakage.
                              Headlight bulb failed the night before the test

All of the above is being addressed over the next few weeks. Biggest job will be dropping the rear subframe, so I can get it shot blasted, welding done and powered coated. Was hoping to get this done next year when the weather improves, but it's looking good for the next few weeks so will start ripping it apart as soon as the parts arrived from autodoc!
                              Last edited by B5NUT; 9 October 2021, 07:32.

Comment

• So in the coming weeks I will be changing the timing belt. Is there anything else I could do while I'm there.

I'm going to change the following so far.
                                Water Pump
                                Idler pulley
                                Belt
                                v-belts

Also change seals 2 & 7 on the image below as there is a very minor oil leak coming from the front of the engine.
                                seals.jpg

Anything else you would do at the same time?

Comment

Working...
                                X