Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying an S2 Coupe - Am I walking into a world of pain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone confirm 10W40 is the best oil for these cars, off to TPS this morning and want to get the correct oil.
    Last edited by B5NUT; 4 October 2021, 07:31. Reason: K&N filter has gone.

Comment

10/40 fully synth is best. If modded, 10/50 works well.
      91 Modded 3B
      14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

With 10/40 you should see 1.5-2 bar on hot idle
        91 Modded 3B

Comment

Thanks, did the search and it came up with 10W40, just wanted to make sure that was still the consensus.

Comment

5W50 or 10W50 is zeh best <3
            https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...-3b-1991-coupe

Comment

Went for 10W40 got a couple of bottles this morning. I'll be changing the oil every 6 months at a minimum.

Good god that sump plug was on. My B5 uses the same sump plug and I've never had to take a breaker bar to remove it. Think the last time the oil was changed was 9 years ago and in that time this car has done a grand total of 2,038 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by B5NUT View Post
                I'll be changing the oil every 6 months at a minimum.
                Man after my own heart

10w40 will be perfect, as long as you aren't ranting/tracking it everywhere.

Comment

It's not going to be tracked, mapped or modified in any way. Trying to get the car back to standard, removed the K&N and put a paper filter back in. I know I'm going to have to leave the modified exhaust on as I would never find a factory original.

Comment

Also looks like I've got a big oil leak. Looks like to coming from either around the dipstick or the oil pressure switch.

Comment

The sump plugs do seem to weld themselves on. I had to cut the original one off my sump. Fitted a Fumoto drain valve and never looked back.
                      91 Modded 3B

Comment

You guys aren't changing your oil often enough

Comment

Oil leak will be the pressure switch, almost a consumable, very few good ones out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
                            Oil leak will be the pressure switch, almost a consumable, very few good ones out there.
                            Yes, there is oil inside the rubber cup that goes over the switch.. When you say good ones are you talking about ones that don't leak, or ones that are reliable?

Comment

Reliable -have had new sensors fail within the drive from a first MOT in years to the alignment garage... and then another a few months later.

Then another was picked up as leaking a bit at the next MOT.

Then I managed to find a new/old stock Lucas switch and that has not leaked since.

If you can find a genuine one, go for that, or as I did above.

Comment

Originally posted by B5NUT View Post
                                It's not going to be tracked, mapped or modified in any way.
                                These cars need at least to be home fried to enjoy the drive.
                                sigpic_________
                                Rob

Comment

Working...
                                X