X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by david1980 View Post
    unless I've missed it, where did you source the adjusters for the steering arms? I will be replacing the ones on my car in the near future so would prefer to get new like those.
    Autodoc.
    This time around have got quite a few parts from them which were hard to find or very expensive in the UK. Lemforder steering arm ball joints, drop links and Koni shocks also from them.
    Their after sales service is very poor but if you double check what you are buying to make sure it fits and decline any replacements they may offer, recently everything has been good.

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by newsh View Post
    All looking absolutely fantastic Dave, a credit to your attention to detail.
    Cheers mate. If I can get the bits you can't see right, everything else should be good.

Leave a comment:

• david1980
    replied
    unless I've missed it, where did you source the adjusters for the steering arms? I will be replacing the ones on my car in the near future so would prefer to get new like those.

Leave a comment:

• newsh
    replied
    All looking absolutely fantastic Dave, a credit to your attention to detail.

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Steering rods came out nicely.

I made up heat shields for the area around the turbo and downpipe. The originals fell apart.

The driveshaft splash guards got repaired.

And fitted along with steering rod splash guards.

My rear bumper brackets fell apart when I removed the bumper. I managed to get a new pair.

Installed using stainless fittings.

I’m going to build up the front struts tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Nuvo
    replied
    Thanks, I share your your reservations about using Autodoc, but if they have something you need then it's bite the bullet time I guess.

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    I got them from Autodoc.
    I’m not keen on them but sometimes they have hard to find parts. They have 17mm centres which is much better than the puny originals.

Leave a comment:

• Nuvo
    replied
    Who supplied the SKF adjusters? I ask as I seem to recall these were'nt available directly from the online shop.

Leave a comment:

• 4WDrifter
    replied
    Fantastic work Dave. We really appreciate the photos and we know the time it takes to take them and post them.

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    No power for the last two days after the storm hit so progress has been slow.
    My wing closure panels were missing. The car has had new front wings at some point and obviously the body shop that did them didn’t think they were necessary.
    Thanks to Mark Midge for sending me a nice pair.
    And fitted. Not easy with wings on!

Next job was to re fit the gearbox mount covers. I used stainless fittings.

Then the steering rods.
    Both adjusters are seized and one ball joint had to be cut.

I undid these bolts and removed the whole assembly through the nearside arch. The damper seems good as is the gaiter.

Removing the ball joints and adjusters was a vice and blow torch job.

Then re fitted with new adjusters and ball joints. The adjusters are SKF and the joints Lemforder.

After a clean down they received some zinc paint. My cat kept an eye on them for me during the cure process.

They will receive some satin black tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• fish
    replied
    Flipping heck, and here i am pissed for waiting a week on an estimate for painting my boot lid for my A4 allroad, haha.

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by fish View Post
    Loving the updates Dave! What happend to your Urquattro? On the backburner or moved her on?
    It's a long story but it's still in the paint shop. 16 months now! I have been promised it will be done by mid March. We will see

Leave a comment:

• fish
    replied
    Loving the updates Dave! What happend to your Urquattro? On the backburner or moved her on?

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    I have some left over EPDM membrane from doing a roof recently, I think I will be doing the same as mine are ruined on one side!

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Thanks guys. I appreciate your support.

I made up some new splash guards from an old piece of tractor inner tube. It’s the perfect thickness and very similar to the original material.

I used a soldering iron to make the holes. It’s impossible to drill. I suppose you could use a hole punch as well.

Just a few little jobs to tidy up then I can start rebuilding the front end.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X