Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Nice work. I did my Avant liner myself a couple of years ago and wasn't happy with small creases around the front light and grab handles. I got it 're done by a professional last year and now it's perfect. This is one job I feel it's worth paying for. Not expensive if you do the prep work and they use a glue that you can only get in the trade.

Leave a comment:

• nribs
    replied

Sorry for the messy photo dump, but if anything it is a good to see others' progress! This is from 2021.

I went with "Oak" color from YourAutoTrim.com store online. It is very close match to the original and included a foam padding. Pay special attention to those stiff brackets for the rear dome light and front sunroof panels. The front one is very difficult to replace. I have not successfully got mine situated so that the panel "clips" in. It is not a good design and without proper tools I may have damaged it to a point where I will need to take it to a shop to replace...

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-10 at 7.48.13 PM.jpeg

20200911_143336.jpg 20200910_095054.jpg

20200910_104827.jpg 20200911_165011.jpg
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by B5NUT View Post
    I had some rust in that area as well. The Epoxy should keep it at bay.

I do like the A2. I know they are a sod to work on but I think it was a car ahead of it's time.
    Yes! Agree. Also amazing on fuel. Drive back from mot was average 64mpg!

Leave a comment:

• B5NUT
    replied
    I had some rust in that area as well. The Epoxy should keep it at bay.

I do like the A2. I know they are a sod to work on but I think it was a car ahead of it's time.

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    So little A2 passed it mot. All the cursing and skinned knuckles was worth it.

The last remnants of foam and adhesive were cleaned using a soft wire wheel. I tried everything in the kitchen cupboard but nothing melts that goo.
    There was a small area of damage.

I mixed up some fibreglass resin and fixed the damage. While there I gave the whole thing a coat.

Whilst everything is stripped I checked the boot area and found a little corrosion.

And when I got started with the wire wheel I found some more.

That will be treated with Bilt and then painted with epoxy tomorrow.

I’ve removed all of the boot carpets and trims and they are getting washed while the weather is nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by Greg_S View Post
    Do you have a guide or tips on removing the headlining?
    I can do a guide if there is a need. I think the old guides here lost all their pics

Leave a comment:

• Greg_S
    replied
    Do you have a guide or tips on removing the headlining?

Leave a comment:

• K Simmonds
    replied
    Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post

It's the slave. It's leaking and there is no clutch. I used what I thought was a good spare that came off the Avant. My mistake
    At least you know what it is then, not the nicest of jobs but you seem to have a good technique when it comes to changing them, I always find a light smear of rubber grease on the widest point of the boot helps them pop into place fairly easily, still a fiddle whatever though.

Good work on the heading and tackling the orange stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by david1980 View Post
    What material will you be using to do the headlining in? I've got this to come. I can't tell from the pictures but is it platinum or anthracite trims?

I found that I used to use a long bar and start at the back to gently lever down the headlining that way.
    It's light grey. I'm taking it to a local upholstery guy. We will try and match what was there. I would go black but don't think it would work with the trims which are a sort of grey.

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by simons2 View Post
    Have you checked the return spring above the clutch pedal ?
    It's the slave. It's leaking and there is no clutch. I used what I thought was a good spare that came off the Avant. My mistake

Leave a comment:

• david1980
    replied
    What material will you be using to do the headlining in? I've got this to come. I can't tell from the pictures but is it platinum or anthracite trims?

I found that I used to use a long bar and start at the back to gently lever down the headlining that way.

Leave a comment:

• simons2
    replied
    Have you checked the return spring above the clutch pedal ?

Leave a comment:

• 3BG
    replied
    Headliners are a nightmare, top job getting it out in one piece Dave ?

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    So, the little A2 is sorted so we are back on the S2.
    Today I decided to tackle the door cards and headliner.

Door cards came off nice and easy.

I wish the headliner was as easy.

All the trims removed and car reposition into the sun to warm the adhesive.
    After lots of gentle persuasion, out it came. It was really well stuck in. Luckily the coupe headliner base is fibreglass so quite strong compared to the cardboard in the Avant.

Also much easier to remove the disintegrating foam.

About an hour later, it’s nearly done.

Unfortunately I now have another little problem to sort. The clutch pedal went to the floor and stayed there. I’ve ordered a new Sachs slave. Cry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• jbrentd
    replied
    Sorry I'm late to the party, but great job on this one!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X