Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Everything gone to the sandblasting place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post

I can't see any major rust underneath which is always a bonus.
    Take the rear heatshield down from above the back box, there will likely be some to repair, or at the very least treat.

Leave a comment:

• jp_paul
    replied
    Indeed. Mine came out with some gentle persuasion. As mentioned on the other thread, the arm is plastic so heat can't be used - once I'd for the circlip off, I grabbed the pin with some mini mole grips to rotate it and break the corrosion induced seal, then pressed it up and out with pipe grip pliers.

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    It seems a few of us are at this stage and all having the same issues.

I got the little circlip off but the pin is solid.

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by SteveH View Post
    I hope you don't plan to sand blast the speakers
    I was waiting for that

Leave a comment:

• jp_paul
    replied

Thanks for the link. Santa gave me some money for Christmas so I just ordered one with it
    That was an easy sell
    I bought a bag of 0.5-1.25mm glass grit for media; apparently lasts longer and doesn't clog like alu-oxide, and is much cheaper. Not had chance to fire it up yet though - had inner cv's to do on the Passat which was an unwelcome distraction!

Leave a comment:

• SteveH
    replied
    I hope you don't plan to sand blast the speakers

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by jp_paul View Post
    You're just slightly ahead of me! Can't wait to start using the Xmas present to myself - a blast cabinet .
    Can't fit the subframe in it though
    Thanks for the link. Santa gave me some money for Christmas so I just ordered one with it

Leave a comment:

• John.
    replied

Now that's very interesting. I'm M10 rear M12 front mind.
    The shorter of the bushes I could only get in M12 (standard rubber I'm talking about, not poly) so I'm using a sleeve with the M10 bolt.

Leave a comment:

• jp_paul
    replied
    You're just slightly ahead of me! Can't wait to start using the Xmas present to myself - a blast cabinet .
    Can't fit the subframe in it though
    The SSB100 Shot blast cabinet is most effective blast cleaning system that will revitalise most metal objects suffering from surface corrosion or an unwanted coating.

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Rear struts came out no problem.
    Would have been a different story without my home made tool. The shocks were original Boge and one was still working. Amazing!

I now have a rather large pile of stuff to take for sand blasting.

I made a start on the ball joints. I wish all metal was this rust resistant.

Leave a comment:

• jp_paul
    replied
    Great, ta again!
    and I’ve just found heritage have them listed on fleabay too so won’t have to bear their £5 p&p costs anyway (I can never work out how vendors sell stuff cheaper on fleabay than on their own websites - it’s not like they don’t take a cut )

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by jp_paul View Post
    Smashing, ta. Were the ones you got tapered? I’ve found some but for a few quid less but a different part number is quoted: 012301127F vs ..127VF from heritage. Wondering if the taper is the difference between them.
    That's one above is what I've used. Seals nicely and perfect fit
    Last edited by Tractor Dave; 1 January 2022, 17:53.

Leave a comment:

• jp_paul
    replied
    Smashing, ta. Were the ones you got tapered? I’ve found some but for a few quid less but a different part number is quoted: 012301127F vs ..127VF from heritage. Wondering if the taper is the difference between them.

Universal Sealing Plug for Volkswagen Gearboxes. M24 x 1.5 Gearbox Sealing Plug.

Leave a comment:

• steve briance
    replied
    I wanted to change drain and fill and got a couple from here:

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/...ling-plug.html

Im sure other sources are available with a bit of searching

Leave a comment:

Working...
X