Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mikes2
    replied
    Not all of them are though. fronts were M10 for 1991 and 1992.

Leave a comment:

• Jaswan
    replied
    Just ordered some 12mm OD 10mm ID aluminium tube.... Didn't realise that the bolt holes on the subframe bushes were different front to rear... Will need to revisit that! Thanks Dave!!!

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Filled the diff with oil and fitted the lock actuator. I found a stainless clevis in the end. Plenty of sealant around the boot and no leaks so far. Fingers crossed.

Then set my subframe up on a platform and put the diff in.
    To get the subframe lined up accurately I borrowed my boys laser pen.

I then slowly and carefully lowered the car on the lift and simply did the bolts up. Difficult to say 100% but I seem to have covered all the old bush marks so hopefully alignment won’t be an issue.
    I used m12 od stainless tube to make sleeves for the bushes.
    B5Nut kindly also sent me a set he had made and I’m using those on the Porsche gearbox mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by johne View Post
    Dave, given the twists and turns are mostly in the two low pressure lines, the stainless/plastic OE feed to the fuel filter taking care of the rest, would you consider using more of the Cohline rubber hose to get you to say as far as rear of the floor panel run an easier alternative if you had to do this again??
    I'm getting better at it as I go so probably would do the same again and keep it oe. It looks better IMO plus I've 're used all the original holders.

Leave a comment:

• johne
    replied
    Dave, given the twists and turns are mostly in the two low pressure lines, the stainless/plastic OE feed to the fuel filter taking care of the rest, would you consider using more of the Cohline rubber hose to get you to say as far as rear of the floor panel run an easier alternative if you had to do this again??

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Finally got the fuel lines done. Not easy getting all those twists and turns nicely lined up.

I’ve used new e10 rubber pipes and stainless fittings. Also put some protection where pipes or fittings might rub together.

Replacing Avant pipes is much easier.

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    Yep, did the same, you can see the trimming in my thread, I think.

​​​​​​​definitely tightens things up, but most importantly, the way I drive I was doing a rear diff bush every year......

Leave a comment:

• steve briance
    replied
    Thanks Dave, that is really helpful. ​​​​​​

They dont need much of a trim at all so will order up a pair and see how they go. I need to align my prop and if im going under to do that, i dont want to do ot again of the mounts upset it. Do it all in one go is the way forward!

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    This is where they need a small trim.

You can just make out the black marker pen.

After trimming. They will need paint now otherwise they will rust where trimmed.

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by steve briance View Post
    Porsche 912 gearbox mounts. Am I right in thinking this is to locate the waggling end of the gearbox a bit better and stop the gearlever jumping about?

Im keen to try this. Any particular year or model for the Porsche they fit other than '912`. I found a variety of sources and they seem to fit 911 as well... I think porsche only ever made one car shape but call it lots of different names so im assuming they are right!
    Apparently hold it firmly and last much longer. Part number 91137504300. Got mine from ebay seller but Meyle part 4143750002hd also good. Not a straight fit. Needs a little trim and also a sleeve to convert M12 to M10 or use new M12 bolts. I will post some pics of the trimming required. I'm also fitting a spacer to compensate for the slight difference is size of the oe mount.
    The febi bushes I fitted on my Avant are already dead after 18 months and that will be getting these next. Work for gearbox and diff on Coupe.

Leave a comment:

• steve briance
    replied
    Porsche 912 gearbox mounts. Am I right in thinking this is to locate the waggling end of the gearbox a bit better and stop the gearlever jumping about?

Im keen to try this. Any particular year or model for the Porsche they fit other than '912`. I found a variety of sources and they seem to fit 911 as well... I think porsche only ever made one car shape but call it lots of different names so im assuming they are right!

Leave a comment:

• John.
    replied
    Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post

Yes, I do like polybush but wanted to try oe. Poly also seem to have gone very expensive recently. I've done the whole car for about £80 which is about a third of the price of poly. Another reason is subframe alignment. I had a real faff getting the Avant aligned after fitting poly and had to shift the rear subframe twice to get it right. With oe, you can see marks where the original bushes contact the mountings on the car. I have left these unpainted so I can put the subframe back where it was. With poly, the upper bush covers your vision of this point and you have to guess.
    ​​​​​​
    Threaded bar would work fine albeit without the top ball bearing to reduce friction. I paid £20 for the tool so it's been a real bargain. It's already pressed two sets of A2 axle bushes in before now.
    Good reasons. I had a poor experience with poly on the front of my CQ.....subframe wouldn't locate/secure correctly to the chassis due to the reduced contact area compared to the OE bush.
    I was surprised too at how firm OE bushes are. The poly's have one advantage and that's ease of fitting as I'm sure you'll agree ! They have their uses elsewhere but the simplistic design doesn't suit this application.

You have a great build thread here which many will refer to and learn from for years to come !

Keep up the good work, i look forward to it all going back together

......and I think I'll get one of those tools

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by John. View Post
    You championed poly's recently, why OE on this car Dave ?.......just wondering

Did the tool make it easy, I'm thinking it's just a bit of threaded bar and some shaped washers/spacers ?
    Yes, I do like polybush but wanted to try oe. Poly also seem to have gone very expensive recently. I've done the whole car for about £80 which is about a third of the price of poly. Another reason is subframe alignment. I had a real faff getting the Avant aligned after fitting poly and had to shift the rear subframe twice to get it right. With oe, you can see marks where the original bushes contact the mountings on the car. I have left these unpainted so I can put the subframe back where it was. With poly, the upper bush covers your vision of this point and you have to guess.
    ​​​​​​
    Threaded bar would work fine albeit without the top ball bearing to reduce friction. I paid £20 for the tool so it's been a real bargain. It's already pressed two sets of A2 axle bushes in before now.

Leave a comment:

• John.
    replied
    You championed poly's recently, why OE on this car Dave ?.......just wondering

Did the tool make it easy, I'm thinking it's just a bit of threaded bar and some shaped washers/spacers ?
    Last edited by John.; 4 February 2022, 23:55.

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    Re:diff bush orientation, I just guessed, as mine was in pieces!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X