X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by jp_paul View Post

The one you have is 130mm between the mounting holes and OEM is 133mm. So you mustn't have the same gap between the bolt and edge of the mounting hole on one of the sides - the missing 3mm..
    Does that make sense?
    Just been out and 're measured mine as you had me worried. The one that came off is an original Audi part and the hole centres are 130mm. There must be two versions. Mine is a late aby. What is yours?

Leave a comment:

• jp_paul
    replied
    Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
    I'm confused as the one I fitted was identical to what came off
    The one you have is 130mm between the mounting holes and OEM is 133mm. So you mustn't have the same gap between the bolt and edge of the mounting hole on one of the sides - the missing 3mm..
    Does that make sense?

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    I'm confused as the one I fitted was identical to what came off

Leave a comment:

• jp_paul
    replied
    Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
    A break from cleaning the underneath.
    Split the prop shaft and fitted a new centre bearing. It was a good fit and seems sturdy like the original.
    My new centre bearing arrived today from the same place. But I got the 133mm version (which is listed at the same £20 but I seem to have paid a couple of quid more after vat and p&p, £32.40). This one is the exact replica of the original's dimensions - it's the CB30133 part number rather than the CBA8 you've got. Just thought I'd mention for others future reference. I'm guessing you'll be using an alignment jig but if not, you might be 3mm out somewhere if going off originally installed position.

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by steve briance View Post
    After epoxy for the seam sealer.
    That's what I've decided.

Leave a comment:

• steve briance
    replied
    After epoxy for the seam sealer.

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by B5NUT View Post
    Are you using any seam sealer?
    Yes. Forgot to mention that. I have an almost full tin of the Bilt Hamber stuff. Now, Should I put that on now or after epoxy? I will do some reading on the Bilt site and see what they recommend.

Leave a comment:

• B5NUT
    replied
    Are you using any seam sealer?

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    It’s still cold.
    So I fired up the space heater and got painting.

Everything has received two coats of Bilt electrox.
    The heat shields have been done with Fertan mm30. Nice stuff.

When the underside is dry I will put a coat of Novol Protect epoxy on. Then underseal.

It will be time to start rebuilding soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by Jaswan View Post
    I'll stick my shafts in the post Dave

Jase.
    After cleaning underseal off the underside, it my next least favourite job

Leave a comment:

• Jaswan
    replied
    I'll stick my shafts in the post Dave

Jase.

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    On to the messy bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    Yep, copper wire is excellent for that, glad not to be alone!

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by steve briance View Post
    I replaced the ball joint boot on my rear tie rods last year. Destroyed several boots trying to use the spring clip that is meant to hold them on. No idea how you are meant to fit them but i gave up in the end.

I stripped some copper core out of twin and earth cable and used a strand of that wrapped round the boot. Twisted the ends together and it nipped up nicely to seal.

Just a thought if you find yourself despairing.
    I've used that method on my Ur joints and it works well. Planning the same here.
    I bought a mixed pack of 14 rubber boots. I've found two that fit perfectly.

Leave a comment:

• steve briance
    replied
    I replaced the ball joint boot on my rear tie rods last year. Destroyed several boots trying to use the spring clip that is meant to hold them on. No idea how you are meant to fit them but i gave up in the end.

I stripped some copper core out of twin and earth cable and used a strand of that wrapped round the boot. Twisted the ends together and it nipped up nicely to seal.

Just a thought if you find yourself despairing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X