Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    It's a hefty belt driven monster with a big tank but it recently sprung a pin hole
    My fault for not draining the water daily for some 20 years of ownership.
    Now, I thought I would treat myself to a new one but got a shock when I saw current prices
    So, despite knowing it's risky, I intend to fill the hole with weld

Leave a comment:

• steve briance
    replied
    What sort of air supply are you using? As the owner of a proper lift, i imagine you have proper air as well...

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by B5NUT View Post
    I had a lot of dust issues with my cabinet, and it's all down to the massive amount of air your pumping into the cabinet. I upgrade (drilled another 50mm hole) my cabinet to have twin 50mm outlets and the dust has reduced by a massive amount. Also fitted some traps in the pipe work to catch some of the escaping shot.

1-pipes.jpg

2-traps.jpg
    Brilliant

Leave a comment:

• B5NUT
    replied
    I had a lot of dust issues with my cabinet, and it's all down to the massive amount of air your pumping into the cabinet. I upgrade (drilled another 50mm hole) my cabinet to have twin 50mm outlets and the dust has reduced by a massive amount. Also fitted some traps in the pipe work to catch some of the escaping shot.

1-pipes.jpg

2-traps.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Got my blasting cabinet set up.
    Works quite well but makes a lot of dust as the door seal isn’t brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
    Very good

You are restrained in removing the seals, think I managed to just pry them out with a pry bar

You painting the diff?
    Probably will

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    Very good

You are restrained in removing the seals, think I managed to just pry them out with a pry bar

You painting the diff?

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Quick update whilst I warm up having a tea break.
    There was a nice clear mark where the larger old seal sat. I put the new seal in to match. I used the old seal back to front to gently drift in the new seal.
    On the other side I used a 46mm socket and marked the position of the old seal.

Then used it to drift in the new seal.

This is how I removed the old seals.

The flanges got a clean up and coat of zinc.

Now torque settings. Set my wrench to 10nm. Once I reached that I re set to 25nm and went for the 90’. The 25nm was reached at about 80’. So, figure stated above appears correct. This was using new bolts lightly oiled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• SteveH
    replied
    Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post

I found no need for this tool, with a wiggle the input flange just came off.

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    Originally posted by SteveH View Post
    I need to do the input shaft seal on my diff, so I need to find VW 391 tool. Having taken a quick Google there doesn't appear to be many around for sale.
    I found no need for this tool, with a wiggle the input flange just came off.

Leave a comment:

• LSG
    replied
    Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
    I didn't measure
    It was about 5mm inside the edge. There is a stop further in. So it doesn't go to the stop?
    Hopefully, there is a mark left where the old seal sat. Have you got the Bentley measurement?
    I did the seals on mine a fews years back now and didn't know not to pust the sael all the way in and guess what it leaked. Had to replace it a week later .. So do messure it fella. . Regards Lynn

Leave a comment:

• SteveH
    replied
    I need to do the input shaft seal on my diff, so I need to find VW 391 tool. Having taken a quick Google there doesn't appear to be many around for sale.

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Thanks very much. I don't plan on buying the tool. I managed without before.
    Not sure about 25nm? And 2.75ltrs of oil? Obviously refers to gearbox.

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    OK here goes the Bentley pages for the diff seals:

Screenshot 2022-01-05 at 21.13.04.jpg Screenshot 2022-01-05 at 21.13.56.jpg Screenshot 2022-01-05 at 21.14.18.jpg Screenshot 2022-01-05 at 21.14.27.jpg

....and a tool that has sold on ebay, with pics:

Genuine VW AUDI SPECIAL TOOL 3066/1 mounting device for Sealing Ring | eBay

Tool is 3066/1 for post 86 cars, and 3066/2 for pre 86, as noted here:

Vag 3066 (c)http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

With some other good pics, looks like the 3066/1 is deeper than the 3066/2.... so 8mm, maybe?

Not sure if any of that actually helps!

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    Hmm, perhaps, it is 3066 for the big seal, sorry!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X