No announcement yet.

My Coupe project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice results. What size are the monster sockets you used for pressing the bushes?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nuvo View Post
      Nice results. What size are the monster sockets you used for pressing the bushes?
      1 5/8 inch drive from the tractor set
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Nice updates Dave, keep them coming!

Comment

• Originally posted by sidrick View Post
          Nice updates Dave, keep them coming!
          Thanks. Will do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Nothelle S2 Avant
          Black Ur project
          Ocianic Ur project gone
          S2 Coupe project gone
          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• After a lot of deliberation I decided to go Koni.

I’ve also bought sachs top mounts as TPS told me originals are nla.

I have two sets of Lago blues strut bush savers to fit and Lago recommend Sachs if I couldn’t get oe.

The eagle eyed will also notice Porsche 912 gearbox mounts. I have a set for the diff as well.
            Anyone fitted a spacer on these between the mount and the bush? They are roughy 10mm shorter than oe and may put the prop out of alignment?

Nothelle S2 Avant
            Black Ur project
            Ocianic Ur project gone
            S2 Coupe project gone
            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• I fitted them, with no spacer, and all seems good to me...... Both diff and gearbox.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
                I fitted them, with no spacer, and all seems good to me...... Both diff and gearbox.
                Cheers. I have ordered a 6mm thick stainless washers which will reduce the difference to 4mm.
                Nothelle S2 Avant
                Black Ur project
                Ocianic Ur project gone
                S2 Coupe project gone
                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• So final coat will be Bilt epoxy.
                  Fired up the space heater again and got painting.

It’s great stuff and goes on really nicely.

However, my measuring cups didn’t like it.

I will let it dry for a few days and then I can make a start putting everything back together. Fuel lines are the first job to do. I have all new Cunifer pipe and fittings ready to go.

Nothelle S2 Avant
                  Black Ur project
                  Ocianic Ur project gone
                  S2 Coupe project gone
                  Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• After fitting oe style bushes on the front subframe, I decided to do the same at the back.
                    As the m10 bushes are nla I have used the front m12 bushes and made a stainless sleeve so they accept the m10 bolt.

This is the bush insert tool and sockets I used. You start with the 1” 7/16 first as that fits the recess in the subframe perfectly but the bush won’t go into it as you wind it up. So then you move to the really big socket. The other is used as a spacer as the threaded bar is very long on this kit.
                    All of the bushes went in smoothly without issue using this method.

I think nice smooth powder coat and silicone spray helped.

Now, I’m fitting the Porsche 912 mounts for the diff as well. Are these oriented the same as the oe bushes?
                    Anyone btdt?

I now have a set of superflex bushes for sale if anyone needs a set.

Nothelle S2 Avant
                    Black Ur project
                    Ocianic Ur project gone
                    S2 Coupe project gone
                    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Re:diff bush orientation, I just guessed, as mine was in pieces!

Comment

• You championed poly's recently, why OE on this car Dave ?.......just wondering

Did the tool make it easy, I'm thinking it's just a bit of threaded bar and some shaped washers/spacers ?
                        Last edited by John.; 4 February 2022, 23:55.

Comment

• Originally posted by John. View Post
                          You championed poly's recently, why OE on this car Dave ?.......just wondering

Did the tool make it easy, I'm thinking it's just a bit of threaded bar and some shaped washers/spacers ?
                          Yes, I do like polybush but wanted to try oe. Poly also seem to have gone very expensive recently. I've done the whole car for about £80 which is about a third of the price of poly. Another reason is subframe alignment. I had a real faff getting the Avant aligned after fitting poly and had to shift the rear subframe twice to get it right. With oe, you can see marks where the original bushes contact the mountings on the car. I have left these unpainted so I can put the subframe back where it was. With poly, the upper bush covers your vision of this point and you have to guess.
                          ​​​​​​
                          Threaded bar would work fine albeit without the top ball bearing to reduce friction. I paid £20 for the tool so it's been a real bargain. It's already pressed two sets of A2 axle bushes in before now.
                          Nothelle S2 Avant
                          Black Ur project
                          Ocianic Ur project gone
                          S2 Coupe project gone
                          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post

Yes, I do like polybush but wanted to try oe. Poly also seem to have gone very expensive recently. I've done the whole car for about £80 which is about a third of the price of poly. Another reason is subframe alignment. I had a real faff getting the Avant aligned after fitting poly and had to shift the rear subframe twice to get it right. With oe, you can see marks where the original bushes contact the mountings on the car. I have left these unpainted so I can put the subframe back where it was. With poly, the upper bush covers your vision of this point and you have to guess.
                            ​​​​​​
                            Threaded bar would work fine albeit without the top ball bearing to reduce friction. I paid £20 for the tool so it's been a real bargain. It's already pressed two sets of A2 axle bushes in before now.
                            Good reasons. I had a poor experience with poly on the front of my CQ.....subframe wouldn't locate/secure correctly to the chassis due to the reduced contact area compared to the OE bush.
                            I was surprised too at how firm OE bushes are. The poly's have one advantage and that's ease of fitting as I'm sure you'll agree ! They have their uses elsewhere but the simplistic design doesn't suit this application.

You have a great build thread here which many will refer to and learn from for years to come !

Keep up the good work, i look forward to it all going back together

......and I think I'll get one of those tools

Comment

• Porsche 912 gearbox mounts. Am I right in thinking this is to locate the waggling end of the gearbox a bit better and stop the gearlever jumping about?

Im keen to try this. Any particular year or model for the Porsche they fit other than '912`. I found a variety of sources and they seem to fit 911 as well... I think porsche only ever made one car shape but call it lots of different names so im assuming they are right!

Comment

• Originally posted by steve briance View Post
                                Porsche 912 gearbox mounts. Am I right in thinking this is to locate the waggling end of the gearbox a bit better and stop the gearlever jumping about?

Im keen to try this. Any particular year or model for the Porsche they fit other than '912`. I found a variety of sources and they seem to fit 911 as well... I think porsche only ever made one car shape but call it lots of different names so im assuming they are right!
                                Apparently hold it firmly and last much longer. Part number 91137504300. Got mine from ebay seller but Meyle part 4143750002hd also good. Not a straight fit. Needs a little trim and also a sleeve to convert M12 to M10 or use new M12 bolts. I will post some pics of the trimming required. I'm also fitting a spacer to compensate for the slight difference is size of the oe mount.
                                The febi bushes I fitted on my Avant are already dead after 18 months and that will be getting these next. Work for gearbox and diff on Coupe.
                                Nothelle S2 Avant
                                Black Ur project
                                Ocianic Ur project gone
                                S2 Coupe project gone
                                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Working...
                                X