Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My S2 coupe bit of a rebuild and repair thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bother, I think I have a couple of spares, though I've missed the post today and can't easily get to a post office on Saturday's, nothing within reasonable cycle range.

I'll have a look though and if one fit's in a little jiffy bag and goes in the village post box I'll send it that way as I have some first class stamps knocking about it and you should have it on Monday.
    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• Finally got the 44mm radiator fitted this week. Moving the lower bracket 5mm did the trick. There is no further rubbing of the plastic cowling against the chassis leg.

I know people don't like the Nissens radiators but with them having the brass end tanks modifications like moving the bracket can be made.
      2-moun.jpg

The guy that I used modify the radiator also re-soldered all the pipe connectors as some of them did not look the best. I also weld the AC mount back on as one of them had fell off and then welded the other side as I don't think Nissens spot welding was up to the the job.
      3-mount.jpg
      Also repainted the sides as some of the paint on the sides was flaking off.
      4-paint.jpg

The paint on the core looked OK, so just painted the end tanks and sides with epoxy
      5-paint.jpg

So far the new radiator is handling the heat better than the 34mm core. I think is down to the larger core and the fact that I used at least 1 and 1/2 liters of extra coolant over the 34mm rad. Also flushed the coolant system again and refilled with fresh coolant. As I'm trying to get rid of the rust in the system. This is the downside of leaving cars to stand for years and not changing the coolant!
      rad.jpg
      Fitted a replacement upper bracket as I had modified my old bracket by adding an extra 10mm to the length! What I should have done was to fit the rubber mount!
      6-bracket.jpg

When I removed the bumper a piece of plastic dropped off the car, and no idea where it came from! Anyway I found out just as I was about to put the bumper back on, that held me up a day as it needed to be fixed.

Bracket on the washer tank had failed
      8-bracket.jpg

Drilled 3 holes for some screws on the snapped bracket and heated the end of the screws up so they melted into the plastic on the tank
      8-screws.jpg

Then used milliput epoxy putty to strengthen the area.
      9-bracket.jpg

It's a bit of a bodge but I will order a replacement tank from tradition when I place the next order. However it's holding the pump just fine until a replacement arrives
      10-fixed.jpg

When I had the wings off the car I also sprayed up the door trims that I purchased a while ago. I thought someone had tried to prise off the old ones ,but it turned out that they had just been left of the car when it was resprayed. As all the dirt & crud had not been cleaned up very well the paint had not stuck to the edge of the trims and it was that which was coming away. At some point I will strip them down and repaint them. I still need to sort the rear quarter trim out, but the door trim were by far the worst.

7-trims.jpg

The car is now back on the road again. The wings are 95% OK, there is a slight difference in very bright sunlight from certain angles.
      11-car.jpg

Last edited by B5NUT; 17 July 2022, 11:49.

Comment

• Couple of jobs done over the weekend. First was a job caused by a driver who was given their license from kellogg's. They pulled out on me and I had to slam my brakes on! After that the blower motor started making a rattling sound. After spending a while getting the motor out, which I have to say was a complete pain in the backside. I checked the housing and the fan which was cleaned out and the rattle was still there. So stripped the motor out and this came out! No idea what it is or how it got inside the motor housing.
        stone.jpg
        stone1.jpg

Next up was to service the wiper linkage. To be fair it was in excellent condition, I was expecting the shafts to have started to rust but the only issue I found was the grease had dried out, on everything except the inside the gearbox cover. So a bit of regressing and it's running smoothly again. At least the wiper mechanism was easier to remove than the blower motor!
        wiper.jpg

Final job was the aerial. Seal around the base was starting to split, which I figured at some point will let water in.
        aerial1.jpg

Got one a genuine VW aerial a while ago, this was the part number.
        aerial.jpg

Looks to be a perfect fit, the square fitment locator was the same and the connectors are the same so it was plug and play.
        aerial2.jpg

At some point over the next few weeks I want to start machine polishing the car. No idea if it's ever been done since it was resprayed. However it's in real need of a good polish and ceramic coating. Only concern about polishing the car is the roof, it's surprisingly thin and easy flexes so won't be able to put much pressure on to get rid of some of the light scratches.

Comment

• So wondering if someone can help with a couple of error codes on the car.

First one is this
          00561 - Mixture Adaptation
          13-00 - Adaptation Limit (Mul) Not Reached

I believe this could be caused by bad connections on the MAF. I've cleaned the terminals on the MAF with a cotton wool bud and isopropyl alcohol, but struggling to clean the connections on the plug end. So was going to replace them.

Second code is
          00544 - Maximum Boost Pressure Exceeded.

This happened a few weeks back when I was on my way back from meeting a forum member, was doing an over take and very soon afterwards it started to cut the boost no matter what gear I was in! I pulled in a little further down restarted the car and it was back to normal power. I've tried to replicate this again but with no luck. I wonder if I got a little to close to the red line. I take it the S2 has a rev limiter

Also, could is this caused by a boost leak? On my other cars when I had an overboost it was normally down to the VVT getting gummed up and sticking. With the S2 not having a VVT what would cause the turbo to create too much boost pressure.

I've cleared the codes and so far they have not come back, but over the last couple of weeks I've done less than 10 miles.

Comment

• The give away is 00544 - Maximum Boost Pressure Exceeded is highly indicative of a boost leak, though the fact your can't replicate is a bit weird, normally when a hose comes off or splits then you'll have a leak all the time even at low boost.

The other codes would also be explained by a boost leak as the fueling get thrown out suddenly when it happens.

My thought's are you have a connection somewhere that only leaks under high boost, so when you've use the over-boost of stock ABY mapping it briefly let's go, but as I say that's odd as normally once it's happened it'll do it again at much lower boost levels.

There is a one way valve on the PCV system that Martin mentioned on Fat Audi 80's thread regarding boost leaks, that would be one thing I could think of that could would cause such symptoms.

The S2 has a rev limiter that's fairly soft.
            1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
            1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
            1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
            1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• Sudden boost cut can be a real mare to fix. Boost leak test first, then maf pins, temp switch back of head and fuel pump plus others. Mine was the fuel pump slowly failing. Newsh helped me there. Listen carefully to his advice
              Nothelle S2 Avant
              Black Ur project
              Ocianic Ur project gone
              S2 Coupe project gone
              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• I'm a sledgehammer sort of person Dave so will look to replace the lot

Thanks for the advice Kit. I really should have done the boost test when when you sent the kit. I will look to make or get my own as I think as time goes on with the cars hoses they will start to fail. Think that was the first time I've had the car anywhere near the rev limit. Normally keep it to a maximum of 6K. At some point I want the car on the rolling road so I will have to get this sorted. Weather is bloody awful for the next couple of weeks so will look to make my own testing kit. I got a spare pipe that comes from the MAF so should be easy to get something made up.

Think the only thing I need to buy is hand pump with a gauge on it.

Comment

• It's probably a boost leak or the MAF pins.

The ECU calculates the amount of fuel needed to go with the air measured by the MAF. If the resultant mixture measured at the O2 sensor is too rich or lean for adaptation then it throws the code and goes to limp mode.

So as you can see, it can be a bad measurement at the MAF or a real loss of air on the pressure side of the turbo.

You will struggle to do a boost test with a hand pump, you need a compressor and a tyre inflator with a gauge. There’s a plumbing end cap that’s the right size to fit the MAF hose. Then you just need a couple of 20mm plugs to isolate the PCV system from the MAF hose. ?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

• Thanks for the information. I'll look to get the end cap and make the other parts.

Cleared the fault codes, and took the car for a drive out. Got it to 6K RPM and no problems.

However this fault code came back and It's slightly different to the one above
                    00561 - Mixture Adaptation
                    13-10 - Adaptation Limit (Mul) Not Reached - Intermittent

The car drove fine and never noticed any loss of power.

Also after reading this thread https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...s-running-rich I've also ordered a new FPR and PCV valve.
                    Last edited by B5NUT; 5 September 2022, 18:13.

Comment

• So I've replace the fuel pressure regulator and the boost pressure control valve, and other than starting the car to make sure it's working with the new parts fitted. I've not driven it as the weather has not been the best.

Before I take it out for a drive I want to complete a boost pressure test. I should have done this when kit loaned me his testing kit but as the car was working fine back then with no error codes I figured in the end there was no point. I guess when I pushed it on or near the limiter that has caused the failure somewhere. I think!

So I've started to make my own boost pressure kit. Got one of these for £9. It's a cheap 79mm hole saw.
                      pressure_tester.jpg

After cutting it down removing all the paint and welding up all the holes. it came out like this. The hole in the centre was a perfect fit for a normal tyre valve.
                      pressure_tester1.jpg

It still needs a coat of paint but it should do the job.

To plug the boost pressure control valve, I've cut off the top of one of the old S2 front shock absorbers. It's was a perfect fit.
                      pressure_tester2.jpg

So question, is there anywhere else that need a plug making before I perform the pressure test?

Comment

• http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...t+leak+testing
                        Nothelle S2 Avant
                        Black Ur project
                        Ocianic Ur project gone
                        S2 Coupe project gone
                        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Great work!

Comment

• So had a bit of fun this evening (If you can all it that). Removed the pressure regulating valve in the crank breather system.

It was caked with oily crud inside.
                            breath.jpg

Then I found this.
                            it.jpg

I found it inside this pipe
                            pipe.jpg
                            I cleaned it up and it now looks like this
                            it2.jpg

I can see the part in the etka diagram but it's no longer list as a valid part. Did Audi do away with this as a bad idea? It must have been causing a blockage as it was full of crud!

The pressure regulating valve does not appear to do anything. Should the valve be opened or closed all the time and does it only close or open once the pressure is too high?

Comment

• I remember this flame trap, and it being unavailable about 10 years ago. From what I read they're serviceable (cleanable) and fairly universal around older VAGs. Pretty sure you can find similar on old VW buses still available.

Comment

• I finally found the part number of the "Flame Deflector Plate" as Audi call it and has part number 035103477A They are obsolete but can be purchased from VW Classic and Tradition. Will just be cleaning my one up and putting it back in.

Comment

Working...
                                X