No announcement yet.

20V CQ Tidy Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry to hear this luck Alex. This is what had happened to mine as I bought it and I had to rebuild the engine before I had really driven it. We could only assume the previous owner had been lazy with the clutch.

Originally posted by SteveH View Post
    That's unlucky Alex

It's not something I have heard of happening before on our motors, so something must have been well out of spec to have caused it. I have the integrated shells on mine, which some folk advise against, but they have been fine for many years of service. I guess if the tolerances are right, it's not going to be an issue which type you use. Constant lateral pressure from the clutch side would certainly wear our the thrust washers quickly. Hope you locate the culprit and understand what was wrong soon mate.
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

• Ah mate, this is bad luck, hope you suss it out soon ☹️

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Wizard-of-OD View Post
        Hate to say this but are you 100% sure you got the inline-5 thrust washers? I had a similar situation recently and it turned out I was supplied 1.8T thrust washers instead of AAN/etc thrust washers.
        Hey Issam,

Yes they were the correct washers. Cause still TBC.

Unfortunately this is the current state of affairs:

Head - scrap
        Cams - scrap
        Block - scrap
        Crank - scrap
        Rods - scrap
        Oil pump - scrap

Pistons may be OK - need to clean & measure them properly. Visually it only looks like the skirts are a bit scuffed but ring grooves and/or pins might be scored / worn - TBC.

So a shopping list is growing and my wallet is already stinging!

Next I need to find the cause....
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• And this will hold back project ultra I guess

Comment

• Hi there. I've recently went trough your project thread.
            Loads of work-quality work has been done in here.
            And now such a big lose now.
            Wish you best of luck with the new engine.
            Maybe diesel crank this time-stroker?

Comment

• That's bad news Alex. Think of it this way though, get a nice flat glass and you got yourself a stylish table with those parts!

Comment

• Very bad news

How is the head scrapped? Lifter areas?

Comment

• That's rotten luck Alex, sorry to hear after all the work you've done to get the car to where it's at today.

Am sure you'll build her back up to how she was if not better engine wise
                  1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

• Thanks chaps. Head is scrap as the cam caps and lifter bores are scored
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Gutted for ya fella good luck with your rebuild hope it's not too painful although can't be much worse

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                        Thanks chaps. Head is scrap as the cam caps and lifter bores are scored
                        I could be wrong but it sounds like oil starvation?

Dan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Quattro Dan. View Post
                          I could be wrong but it sounds like oil starvation?

Dan.

No he's just thrashed it to death..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                          sigpic

Comment

• Gutted, for you Alex. I hope you get to the bottom of the issue for peace of mind at the very least. Good luck with the new engine.
                            The Perfectionist
                            sigpic
                            Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

• Sucks big time.

Will you be re-shelling the car also ? Sorry.

Trigger's brush.

If it was me, what with the cost of the new engine, I'd pass on re-using the pistons and go for new ones.

Measure twice and cut once so to speak with the new engine.

Hope your lotto numbers come up soon.

Interested in the cause / update, as we all are.

Best wishes.

Comment

• I finally found the time & motivation to start doing some work on this car. I found the problem with the thrust bearing failure - irritatingly simple really.
                                I used the B3/B4 clutch slave cylinder with the 0A3 gearbox - unfortunately it doesn't have a long enough stroke and so the piston doesn't retract back into the bore far enough to completely disengage the clutch - this meant the release bearing was putting constant light pressure on the pressure plate and this caused the premature wear of the thrust bearings.

A silly mistake really - bottom line i didn't check it thoroughly enough. I would have picked up on it if I hadn't installed the cylinder on the gearbox before bolting it up to the engine. Oh well, live & learn.
                                I will either machine the pushrod or see about using a B6/B7 slave cylinder.

Anyway, I'm going to rebuild the engine and am already collecting parts for this. Will be sleeving an overbored ABY block I have here, using modified OEM pistons & FCP rods.

In the mean time I have been working on some changes to my set-up.

MaxxECU e-throttle module:

image_63283.jpg

In order to set the e-throttle up, I needed to use a throttle potentiometer so I spent a while looking for a TDI pedal box.
                                These are quite hard to find, but I finally got hold of one (cheers Sam )

IMG_3704_zpsasei8jtt.jpg

image_63285.jpg

My pedal bushes were looking pretty ropey and the pedals had been sqeaking since i bought the car, so I thought it was time to fix that. Turned out my clutch pedal was actually bent aswell

I removed these brittle plastic bushes and made some new Delrin inserts and aluminium hats to replace them:

image_63286.jpg

image_63287.jpg

image_63288.jpg

image_63289.jpg

I also removed the knackered plastic bush on the clutch pedal and installed an SKF spherical bearing. Even they seem to be made in China these days

image_63290.jpg

The T5 pin TDI throttle pot is no use, but many of the early e-throttle VAG motors used a similar Bosch 6 pin unit. I got hold of a new old stock Seat part to use. Bolts right up to the TDI pedal box.

image_63291.jpg

Throw in some nice new pedal rubbers

image_63292.jpg

Add a new clutch master cylinder and a TDI clutch switch so I can set up flat-shifting. All fitted up.

image_63294.jpg

image_63293.jpg

Finally the all important throttle pedal. The TDI unit has an adjustable boss that hooks onto the lever pulley for the throttle pot. Unfortunately the one I got was damaged with the common problem of the flap breaking off. Not to worry - I cut a good one off my old pedal.

image_63295.jpg

Since I will be able to set the min & max throttle position electronically, I took the opportunity to lengthen the pedal by 20mm which will make it more comfortable to heel & toe.

image_63297.jpg

All done & ready to fit

image_63296.jpg
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Error404; 2 September 2017, 23:08.
                                Indigo ABY coupé
                                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                                X