This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeffer View Post
    coming together nice Tom. Great Job. Why do we need to have the camgear with the "B" on it?
    All factory AAN, ABY, and ADU (RS2) cam gears are stamped with the same 034 109 105 part number in the gear itself and look the same at first glance. The ADU gear, part number 034 109 105 B, with the "B" stamped on the inner ring, not with the part number where you would expect it to be. You can see this in the picture below of mine.

Last edited by saltinot; 23 January 2012, 15:04.

Comment

• I've been slowly nibbling away at the engine a little more......

I took the alternator to the local rebuilder last week. Before it went I removed the pulley and the rear plastic cover to ensure that they didn't get lost or broken. Seen here still in my vice.

After $140 and a couple few days it was ready. I had used this shop before and knew they did a top job, but was still surprised at how fantastic my old alternator looked when I picked it up. I thought they had painted it, but was told that the castings were media cleaned with metal shot.

A few old nuts were used in the making of these pictures. New stuff on the way.

The part number and info for those who are interested.

Comment

• Hi Tom,
        Good idea getting it rebuilt - I did my own and the front bearing was a real PITA to source as it's an off size. I painted the halves of the case and I must say that yours looks better!

Cheers,

Rob

Comment

• Rob, I too debated about going DIY with mine. I had used these guys before and I pass their shop daily on the way to work so I figured I'd let them have a go with it. Not only did they get it looking new again, they replaced all the hardware, bearings, and slapped on a new Bosch voltage regulator.

I know it's a long way, but if you ever need a rebuild again Sleepy Hollow Rebuilders is the name.

Comment

• Hi Tom,

I've never heard the term "media cleaned" before but certainly the metal shot has done a fantastic job. It would be interesting to know the grade of shot used as I am looking at doing my cam cover etc.

Cheers,

John
            2001 996 C4 - Being renovated
            1994 ABY Coupe - "Das Smaragd RS2+ Coupe" - Sold

Comment

• looks lovely Tom, I really must get hold of a proper 120A unit to get rebuilt.
              Are you sure that is the right pulley? Looks like an AAN one
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Nice one Tom, but with you, I'd expect nothing less.

I presume you've filled in a Sleepy Hollow Customer Account Form to open an account with them.

Can you advise what grade / type of media they used, for the rest of us over her ?

Comment

• Originally posted by John B View Post
                  I've never heard the term "media cleaned" before but certainly the metal shot has done a fantastic job. It would be interesting to know the grade of shot used as I am looking at doing my cam cover etc.
                  From what the shop told me they use a cabinet that shot peens the aluminum. I'll have to quiz them a little more to find out what grade/size they use. As they are telling me this I'm thinking I need to bring them all my alu parts and have them cleaned.

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                  looks lovely Tom, I really must get hold of a proper 120A unit to get rebuilt.
                  Are you sure that is the right pulley? Looks like an AAN one
                  Thanks Alex. !00% on the pulley. The RS2 uses a 4PK895 "poly-v" belt. The "4" in that number indicates the number of ribs on the belt. It's a little hard to count them in the picture, but there are four grooves in the pulley. The AAN uses a wider belt with 6 ribs......6PK1695

Comment

• sitting at home off work with "the dreaded lurgey" and read through all this again bloody brilliant
                    ABY Cricket Green Pearl Coupe, blk leather
                    THE ONLY TROUBLE WITH DOING NOTHING IS KNOWING WHEN YOUR FINISHED!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by vonbeck View Post
                      sitting at home off work with "the dreaded lurgey" and read through all this again bloody brilliant
                      Cheers Vonbeck. Hope you've gotten over the lurgie by now.

I took the valve cover to the a shop up the road from work to have the valve cover refinished. I wasn't happy with the condition and wanted something that looks like the original aluminum. I decided on what they call "satin silver" Wasn't cheap, but it turned out nicely.

After I got it back they had coated the breather tubes, which they told me they would mask off before it was coated so I put the cover in my blast cabinet and hit them with some plastic media. This is the same media that is used to strip paint from aircraft bodies. It is so gentle that I use it on internal engine components and it will strip off the paint from wing bolts and leave the zinc. Great for all that hardware that I get from the breakers. Anyway, the coaters sand blasted the entire piece which left the tubes dull. So after stripping the coating off I polished the tubes to bring them back to their original luster. It was a pain but it turned out nice in the end.

To bring the "20v turbo" script back to an OEM look I wrapped a strip of 600 grit around a carpenter's pencil and started rubbing it back and forth until all the coating had been removed.

Last edited by saltinot; 14 February 2012, 21:12.

Comment

• jeez that looks fantastic shame you cant drive it over the pond to Le Mans
                        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

• That look is very inspiring. Totally Uber OE. Much better than the totally polished bling that some people go for.
                          RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                          94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

• Panthero CoupĂ© quattro 20vt
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• You have the patience of a saint!
                              Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                              Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                                That look is very inspiring. Totally Uber OE. Much better than the totally polished bling that some people go for.
                                Shhhh!

Yes it looks ultra lovely

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X