Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom: Isn't that "blanking plate" the location for the connection of the turbo oil return line to the block (Item 12 with the Item 14 gasket and Item 15 bolts) here:

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

• It is but the small chassis cars had the drain in the oil pan extension.
      1995 1PissedOff90sigpic1991 USDM CQ 7aT

Comment

• To further what was said just above. The AAN return location is the mounting point for the small black bracket on RS2/S2 equipped with a/c. RS2/S2 without a/c utilized the same location on the side of the block as the AAN for.the oil return.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThatGUY View Post
          I have never seen that heat shield over the front part of the manifold/ wastegate before.

Was this RS2 specific?

What was its primary purpose?

Andrew
          Andrew,

The shields are S2/RS2 specific.

The purpose is to keep the heat from the manifold off the cold side of the turbo and the charge line running along side the valve cover.

I had snapped a couple of pics of the heat shields before they went on the motor just for this reason.

Part numbers

034 133 832 K large shield
          034 133 833 N small shield

Last edited by saltinot; 29 February 2012, 17:34.

Comment

• Originally posted by saltinot View Post
            To further what was said just above. The AAN return location is the mounting point for the small black bracket on RS2/S2 equipped with a/c. RS2/S2 without a/c utilized the same location on the side of the block as the AAN for.the oil return.
            Ok. Thanks. Learned something new. Didn't realize that there was an oil pan extension either.

Comment

• Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
              Ok. Thanks. Learned something new. Didn't realize that there was an oil pan extension either.
              Okay. Poked around and found this diagram. Maintenant, Je comprends, Miss Lemon:

Comment

Okay. Poked around and found this diagram. Maintenant, Je comprends, Miss Lemon:
                The A/C equipped RS2/S2 also require a different oil return line that turns toward the oil pan. You can bearly see the A/C specific oil pan flange and the oil return line in the pic below.

Comment

• Pulled out the CRB and mounted it on an engine stand to get it, and myself, off the ground. After sealing up the vent with some duct tape I was able to rotate it on the stand competely upside down which made the clean up job easier. The intermediate section's paint was pealing and had some surface rust so I gave it a good workover with the needle scaler. After the scaler session I started sanitizing it in preparation for replacing the seals. Marine clean and a toothbrush seems to work the best, but the work it tedious. All those little grooves and cubbyholes. I got about half way finished when I ran out of daylight.

Comment

The A/C equipped RS2/S2 also require a different oil return line that turns toward the oil pan. You can bearly see the A/C specific oil pan flange and the oil return line in the pic below.
                    Thanks Tom. Any chance of a lower angle photo showing the oil pan extension and the oil return line - for the archives?

Comment

Thanks Tom. Any chance of a lower angle photo showing the oil pan extension and the oil return line - for the archives?
                      Yes, there will be some better pics once I get the o-ring and the bracket mounted.

Comment

It should be noted, but not surprising that some US CQs had the extension with the drain blocked off (all had extensions, most without drains).

The locals can correct me but I believe this drain location was also used in S2s with AC.

Comment

• Now there's a use for that block-off plate!

Comment

Now there's a use for that block-off plate!
                            I think you are on the money!

from Dave here

Comment

• I see how the oil return line works on a 3B block (on the oil pan extension). It also shows that, unlike the AAN/ABY/ADU triplets, there is no oil return flange possibilities on the 3B block.

Photo from Ruffiano's (Dave's - not me) Motorgeek thread:

Comment

• Originally posted by JariP View Post
                                Just use the bracket with o-ring. There seems to be some variations with the ac bracket and bracket fitting angle/height on the block side depending on the block's manufacturing date, I hope you found the right bracket for your block and ac compressor.
                                I have seen two versions of the main AC pump mounting bracket, my project engine i bought had a big heavy steel bracket, where as others i have seen had an alloy bracket. I will upload a few pics when i fix my main PC and can access them again.
                                91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                                93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                                94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Working...
                                X