Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bumpity bump .... Do you have any updates Mr. Saltino?

Comment

• Only a couple of small items.......

I'll start with a quiz. What makes RS2 headlights different from S2 (ellipsoid) headlights?

Comment

• Ok, so it's a little known fact that there is one slight difference. If you've been following this madness then you understand the "why"

When the guys at Porsche mounted that super cool mesh grill on the front of the RS2 they saw something. It was the white plastic housings on the headlights which you could clearly see through the mesh. Their solution was to attach black plastic trim pieces over the headlight housings at end near the grill. Detailed in pictures below.

The standard headlight.

A before shot with the housing seen through the grill.

The parts needed. Two trim pieces and two small clips to hold them on to the side of the headlight.

1 8A0941161 left trim
        1 8A0941162 right trim
        2 8A0941179 clip

The trim installed.

And a pic through the grill.

Comment

• Wow! I love seeing this high level detailing work! Super cool

Comment

• I have some of those clips somewhere in the depths of my cupboard, always wondered what the point of them was. Came off a coupe though.

Comment

• Sell them me

Comment

• Vy uz ein kleine bisschen schwarz paint wenn drei teilen vill do?

(Not you Tom, the Porsche engineers - probably had committee and 6 meetings to come up with that one).
                RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

• Originally posted by marathontom View Post
                  Wow! I love seeing this high level detailing work! Super cool
                  Thank you sir.

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                  Sell them me
                  Get'em while you can. Audi has one side listed as NLA already.

Comment

• i LOVE the ****-ness of this build, detail on another level!
                    1993 URS4 Avant Emerald Green 350+bhp
                    1991 Ford Sierra Sapphire 4x4 in Magenta
                    BoooOOOSSSSSTTTT BANG BANG CHIRP CHIRP

Comment

• I needed to move the RS2 into the lift bay this morning do do some small work underneath. The car has not seen daylight in a while so I took the opportunity to snap a picture.

With the car on the lift I took off the front bumper and left front wing. Using some pictures from Jeffry as a reference I mounted the aux. vacuum tank and plumbed the vacuum line from the tank to the engine bay.

I also Installed the black plastic trim that runs along the tops of the windows. 18 rivets later and thats done. I've got my new rear loading area window seals now and will be installing all the remaining glass soon. Long over due.
                      Last edited by saltinot; 27 June 2012, 15:24. Reason: typo error

Comment

• Looks stunning!!

Are the front struts with narrowed down upper tubes (North American)?

S2/RS2 are 55mm dia, North American cars had a narrowing to 50mm, I see it because of the plastic blue dust shield which came on the small tube 50mm Bilsteins.
                        55mm Billes for Ur-q etc have black rubber dust boots.

FYI
                        http://forums.quattroworld.com/9080/msgs/27195.phtml

Cheers
                        Last edited by ralleyquattro; 26 June 2012, 14:10.
                        www.quattro.ca
                        B2: 82 Urq into Sport quattro, 82 4000 2-door, 83 80q 2 Door, 83 Ur-q CDN, 85 Ur-q Euro with 3B, 86 4kq, 59,000km
                        B3/B4: 91 CQ, 93 90q 2.5TDI, 94 80q avant 2.5tdi, 94 S2 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by ralleyquattro View Post
                          Looks stunning!!

Are the front struts with narrowed down upper tubes (North American)?

S2/RS2 are 55mm dia, North American cars had a narrowing to 50mm, I see it because of the plastic blue dust shield which came on the small tube 50mm Bilsteins.
                          55mm Billes for Ur-q etc have black rubber dust boots.

FYI
                          http://forums.quattroworld.com/9080/msgs/27195.phtml

Cheers
                          Yes, the struts are the narrowed version. Didn't have the larger tube version at the time and had already bought inserts so I rolled with them.

Comment

• Most folks know that there are many parts that are exclusive to the RS2. We all know the usual suspects, the inlet, exhaust manifold, intercooler, etc. but there are many more that seem to continue to fly under the radar, i.e. the headlight trims I detailed a couple of weeks ago. One of my goals in this thread is to shead light on these odd parts in an effort to unravel the mystery of the original RS.

The RS2 front brake cooling duct is one of those parts. Their purpose is to direct cool air from under the car into the front brake rotors. RS2 air ducts can be added to any car that is equipped with cast control arms. In fact I have been using them on my B2 90q turbo track car for several years. Yes, it has a complete S2 front suspension. These are a basically just a curved plastic part that attaches to the (cast) front lower control arms via a brass nut, spring washer, and a tie wrap.

The part numbers below is includes everything you would need to fit them.

1 8A0 615 336 Right duct
                            1 8A0 615 335 Left duct
                            2 N 0122307 Spring washer
                            2 N 90651601 Nut
                            2 N 0209022 Tie wrap

A before.....

A clip molded on the back side allows you to hang them on the control arm until you get the nut and tie wrap in place.

Slide the duct on the control arm until you've centered it on the forward most stud on the control arm.......

......slide the spring washer over the stud inbetween the duct and the nut on the ball joint, then thread on the nut until the spring washer has compressed fully and the nut is tight. Should look like this when finished.

All that is left to do now is attach the tie wrap, which is a little insurance so it doesn't fall off. No pic of it with the tie wrap on, but this is the job completed from the rear.

One observation on these......the ducts on my B2 90q had a small slot to run the tie wrap through. These ducts were removed from a parts RS2. The parts in the pics were ordered new from Audi about 4 years ago and did not have the slot to attach the tie wrap, however this is easily remedied with a drill.

You would think that they should all be the same.

Comment

• Whats the vacuum tank plumbed into, never knew it was there?
                              91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                              93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                              94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

• On cars with automatic climate control the vacuum tank provides vaccum for fresh air flap operation.

Comment

Working...
                                X