This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's just amazing!
    One more great car got its 2nd life. Great work!

Comment

• Fantastic build, cant believe how long you've been doing & the lengths to go for parts, devotion to the job, well deserved when finished mate, only joined to get updated for this, so far brilliant, keep it up

Comment

• Just read this whole thread through. This is remarkable. The rs2 avant has been my dream car for ages.
        I'm almost glad the build isn't finished yet, so I can enjoy the trickle of updates. Speaking of updates... am I missing something?

Anybody?

Comment

• to the forum...re updates Toms a bit busy with another project atm but will no doubt update asap.
          S2 + RS2 yep ive had a few love em... Laser red S2 avant... Brilliant black lhd RS2... Polar silver RS2... RS blau RS2... CheeRS Al

Comment

• I'm in awe, looking forward to more updates.
            V10 Audi RS 6 Saloon - 420mm Ceramics, Audi exclusive bits, MTM bits, Milltek, MRC Tuned - 757BHP/967NM
            V8 Audi S8 - Bi-Xenons, TV, Sat Nav, Bose, Blinds
            V8 Audi A8 quattro Sport - Solar Roof, Blinds, Bose

Comment

• its almost 3 months now Tom, whats cookin?
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• This is the fifth time i read through your project tread, and i still don't have words to describe that job you have done to this old Audi It will be as good as new. No, much better then new. How does the progress go? More pics?

You work hard, you work good. You do a much better job then audi would

Comment

• Something new here?

Comment

• Not much lately. I installed a new hood release cable grommet over the weekend.

I'm waiting on a few shipments of parts to arrive. Lots of things on the way that should keep provide a cornucopia of updates thoughout the winter months.

Keep the faith.

Comment

• Over the weekend ran the wiring harness for the wipers and the heated washer jets. Got the jets installed too. I absolutely love fishing the wiring through the bonnet. What a pain that is.

Exciting stuff, eh?

Comment

• I cant wait to see the finished article! Good luck with the rest of the wiring.
                        96 S2 aby Coupe. Rebuild Project
                        96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

• Got a nice set of new lights from RS2coupe out on the west coast. Another small step in the right direction. Finally the front looks complete.

Disassembled the motor last week down to just the block and head. I've ordered the POR15 engine enamel kit to repaint the block. It had a few rust spots on the bottom edge so I'm stripping the entire block and starting from the beginning. Gotta look right Once the block is done all the accesories, manifolds, etc will go back on.

I was going to media blast the gearbox, but now I'm thinking of painting it with aluminum paint. Anyone have any suggestions?

Still waiting on my ocean freight container with more parts.

Comment

• It's coming together nicely, Tom.
                            I know it's a lot of work building a car from a heap of parts.
                            SS

Comment

• Well done that man, this is why I love the US. Real car culture without fear of people looking at you strange when you talk about your hobby!!

Presume you have the official Audi RS2 service manual, if not give me your email and I will send the PDFs.

Comment

• With more parts arriving soon I've been busy refinishing the motor. I bought the POR-15 motor refinish kit to get the job done. It consists of a degreaser, a metal prep, POR-15, and black enamel.

So the first step is to strip the old paint from the block. For this I used a needle scaler. It made quick work of the old paint and rust.

Going....

Going....

Gone.

Next step is to use Marine Clean to clean and degrease the block. After that spray on the Metal Ready. Metal Ready preps the surface for the POR-15 application. This leaves the metal with a powdery coating of what used to be rust.

Per the boys that manufacture the stuff, the POR-15 is to be used as a primer before you lay down the enamel. After the POR-15 is mostly dry on goes the enamel.

After the enamel had dried I took a surface prep disc on my air grinder to remove enamel from the bosses on the side of the block and along the edges. Stressing the details again.

Now for the other side of the block.
                                Last edited by saltinot; 16 January 2012, 15:02. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                                X