Jogi's New Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ecu

Still not sure exactly what ECU will be used on my car, but more than likely KMS.
    Have seen some remarkable results on a Skyline with this system.
    This will also allow Ashford Motorsport to change turbo's and re-map to see what turbo I will end up with - CT350 above or something else ( T61/ T4 )?
    It is a pity the Pectel is such a PITA to understand and map. There are maps within maps and then further maps within them and no easy user friendly software to understand. Not many out there map this system and even fewer can actually do it properly as I found out to my expense. But this is a system used by many serious racing teams.

Anyone fancy taking a Pectel T6/V8 on? Will be for sale with full loom and connector for 3Bengine!

Cheers
    Chris
    Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
    20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

You are doing a good job. Don't get me wrong

Comment

whats the difference between a 3b and ABY connector? is it not COP

i can understand your woes. ive seen many tuners who say they can map but the results are often poor. in general it seems they stay too cautious with timing causing bad running and super high EGT. no off boost drivability. not sure of your issues though.

whats the cost of it too.

VEMS is worth considering i think. unless oyu have reason not too.

The CT350. is that a t04e casing with vband exhaust?

Comment

Have been told Pectel software is thoroughly comlicated unlike some of the user friendly software interfaces you see where you input simple number values.
          Last tuner 9very well known particularly amongst Ford fraternity - Ford=Pectel) talked the talk but could not walk it. He knew intake temperatures should not exceed 38C. Unfortunately they did because of this - Sure you have seen the picture

Hmmmm.... Incompentcy?
          And the results........

As for the turbo, I think it is on T3 but no idea about rest of stuff you ask. Maybe Jyrki can comment.
          Whether I use this turbo or not, it will have a decent map from the dyno which I will post. THat could be interesting.
          Cheers
          Chris
          Last edited by jogi730; 5 March 2018, 13:33.
          Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
          20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

sorry cant really see from the images whats happened.

ive done vems, megasquirt Link and Link G3. id like to extend my knowledge to another ECU. im not phased by a tuner saying its hard. most do as they want business or they want a n excuse ready.

let me know on cost and also if you know about the 3b aby sensor thing.

Comment

Water injection directed directly onto the intake temperature sensor giving false readings. As a direct result, during mapping the EGT's were too high and the EM has started to partially melt.
              Will PM you
              Chris
              Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
              20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

ok. so although they had a regard for AIT they have no regard for EGT. thats poor

cheers for PM

Comment

EGT's were too high due to false readings
                  Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                  20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

surely the egt sensor wasn't giving false readings. was it the ait-fuel compensation. or lack of timing or fuel.

AIT is important but id be more attentive to AFR and EGT.

just surprised nobody aborted.

Comment

that is senceless really. I have the water injection fitted and spraying opposite the IAT sensor,but that does not mean that the temperature of the inlet manifold is actually NOT dropping.

getting better IATs is a way to increase the timing, but that is also related to what EGTs you are getting.EGTs would drop if the water injection is working adequatelly, and i can see that even now that i havent any specific map for the water injection.

What do you mean by false readings though? were you getting a reading that you had a drop in EGTs when you really didnt? How was that possible? where was the EGT probe mounted?

But if the amount of spray is too small, or the EGTs are still climbing then there was either knock due to increased timing or someone was just not paying attention to the EGTs which is wrong tuning

Comment

Chris, you know my thoughts on this mate. I honestly cant wait to see you driving your baby again. You need to pop down for a beer and a catch up buddy. (just dont try and kill me with the bloody steak this time please)
                        Gav
                        S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
                          that is senceless really. I have the water injection fitted and spraying opposite the IAT sensor,but that does not mean that the temperature of the inlet manifold is actually NOT dropping.

getting better IATs is a way to increase the timing, but that is also related to what EGTs you are getting.EGTs would drop if the water injection is working adequatelly, and i can see that even now that i havent any specific map for the water injection.

What do you mean by false readings though? were you getting a reading that you had a drop in EGTs when you really didnt? How was that possible? where was the EGT probe mounted?

But if the amount of spray is too small, or the EGTs are still climbing then there was either knock due to increased timing or someone was just not paying attention to the EGTs which is wrong tuning
                          Several tuners/mechanics have told me this is bad practise.
                          I confess to knowing very little mechanically, but surely if you are directing jets directly onto a temperature sensor, the said sensor then stops measuring the true temperature of the air and measures the temperature of the water instead?
                          Therefore the surrounding air can greatly exceed 38C which screws up the rest of the mapping.
                          Maybe my simple logic is off the mark here and somebody could explain?
                          But the mechanics I have spoken to seem in agreement
                          Chris
                          Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                          20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

sounds logical to me too Chris. you would want the water to be ideally fully mixed by the time it passes the AIT. its not like there are no places to make a foot or so gap between the 2.

obviously the ecu is using compensation but to ensure it is running properly the eye would be firmly on egt and afr.

i have seen a poorly ported header blow through due to too low a timing also. would be interesting to see how conservative the timing map is.

Comment

Ah... thank you matey....

Whenever the water injection is activated, it sprays cold water onto the intake temperature sensor. As the intake air temp sensor is the only monitoring device , the signal of the sensor is constantly distorted by the waterspray. Therefore during remapping, there might have been severe intake temperature problems, but the remapper would not know this.
                              This is a fundamental mistake, and messes up the intake temperature reading, which
                              results in the whole engine management setup being crooked.

The bottm line is, look what excessive EGT's did to the EM.
                              CHris
                              Last edited by jogi730; 12 June 2009, 16:09.
                              Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                              20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

you are not wrong about that, water jet according to manufacturers of the water injection should be mounted away from the intake temp.sensor so that whatever the water is doing to the incoming air is actually more uniform.I agree. This is how i will mount the jet on the reverse manifold.

However water injection is actually causing a significant inlet temp. decrease,and that should reflect on the EGTs as well. In your case,it must have been masked by the water so much that everyone was seeing so nice inlet temps,but forgot to pay attention to the EGTs.

My jet is located on the inlet tube behind the throttle body,overall about 30-35cm away from the temp sensor. Readings i have done so far tell me that i get about 10C IATs drop when in use,but not more, and whenever it is in use i get a corresponding EGT drop.

I doubt that i will ever use the water inj. for tuning anyway.it is just there for hot summer days

Comment

Working...
                                X