B3 Coupe quattro 32V V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S-Express View Post
    Why? Glass filled nylon or PP has a much better strength/weight prop's than steel, its also stiffer so will flex less under load.
    Why do people assume plastic is c r a p all the time?
    Thats what I thought, the plastic ones look alot more beefy than the thin steel rods on the others. Im pretty sure the RS2s are the plastic type.

I had a measure of the roll bar, its a 26mm. Bit pissed off about that as the guy "confirmed" it was 27mm before I bought it, Ahh well.
    1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Originally posted by Kieron20V View Post
      Also spotted a bulging brake flex line, might be a good time to upgrade to goodridges all round.
      What is the part number you are using? 30064?

Comment

I started to remove the rear struts this afternoon, just need to get the tools to get the cup off the top so they can be dropped from the car.

Kieron.
        What tools?

Comment

Originally posted by S-Express View Post
          Why? Glass filled nylon or PP has a much better strength/weight prop's than steel, its also stiffer so will flex less under load.
          Why do people assume plastic is c r a p all the time?
          I only offered my opinion.
          If the plastic ones were better why did Porsche not use them on the RS2?
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by mikeraz1 View Post
            What tools?

The 22mm socket with the cut out to hold the damper. I dont have a swan neck that fits.

@error 404, ive had a look into this, the metal RS2 units are actually a bit thicker diameter so they do have a bit more rigidity.

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35519

Just had a read of that, seems they used both.

I think im going to put of buying new shocks for now, I will just run the inserts that are in currently, put them in the coilovers. I was looking at prices for bilsteins this morning, £163 each! Definetely need to save up for those.

No idea on the goodridge part numbers, can find the coupe quattro or s2 in their catalogue.
            1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Whichever drop link is stiffer really doesn't matter, you won't notice any difference considering the ARB bushes and even the drop link joints probably flex more!

Kieron, you will probably be ok with stock dampers for the time being. I'm on lowered and stiffened springs and still using stock knackered dampers, seems to handle well enough

Comment

Kieron, ive got the tools you need for the top mounts if you want to borrow them. Im near sittingbourne but my wfe works in bromley mon-fri.
                Gav
                S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

Cheers Gav, I got one leg off this morning bit of a bodge, got a 22mm socket in some vice grips and an allen key through the top. Not ideal.

I'll take u up on the offer for the 22mm socket if you have one, Ive ordered myself the slotted nut tool already, but would be a great help if I could lend the other. Do you by chance have the tool for taking the lock rings off to get the inserts out?

Ta.
                  1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

No worries, just replied to your pm. I dont have the tool for removing the inserts. I normally use a lot of penetrating fluid/ stilsons and a vice
                    S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

Quick update, bit of a bummer.

Had an argument with some fella who thinks hes in charge of the land my car is on at the mo, wants it moved asap as its (not) blocking an access gate.

So, ive started stripping paint off the subframe, but Ive had to install it back how it is at the moment, so I can move the car.

Burnt out the bushes in the rear wishbones, gonna cut the sleeves out tomorrow and polybush them. Might give them some paint depending on time.

Ive got one coilover installed on the car at the minute, other side needs some work, as I got some super deep penetration on the welds and cant get an insert in the housing, so it needs tickling with a grinder.

So basically Ive got to bodge the car together so I can move it somewhere where I can do it properly.

Woooo, much .

Kieron.
                      1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Thats what I thought, the plastic ones look alot more beefy than the thin steel rods on the others. Im pretty sure the RS2s are the plastic type.

I had a measure of the roll bar, its a 26mm. Bit pissed off about that as the guy "confirmed" it was 27mm before I bought it, Ahh well.
                        No the S2 ones are plastic the RS2 ones are metal.

If Porsche deemed it needed uprating when installing the larger ARB I'm not about to argue. Also the plastic ones stress fracture where as the metal ones do not.

The plastic ones are rubbish even the S4 guys upgrade the drop links to the RS2 metal ones.

Comment

Right update time, got nothing better to do, sigh.

Converted the rear struts to coilovers, still running stock boge strut inserts, I think the springs are 375s. Cant remember. Used 034 track density topmounts.

Changed a load of boots on the rear; both bottom ball joints and both tie rods as they were all split. Used the boots i bought on ebay a while back, not a perfect fit but they work, held on with some 0.032" safety wire. SAFE.

Got the solid subframe mounts fitted on the rear, I also gave the subframe a lick of POR15 while it was off. 034 Delrin rear diff mount is in aswell.

That was the 2nd time i dropped the subframe, this time I took it off with the diff still mounted, In my opinion it was much easier that way as I had a right **** fight last time trying to align all the mounts.

Replaced a bulged rear brake hose, and ended up replacing the hard line aswell as they didnt want to seperate!

Bought some new tyres, 225/45/17 falken fk452s. They look nice, and have decent reviews, not a bad "cheap tyre".

Took the car to get the new tyres fitted and an MOT yesterday, and she failed. Nothing major really:

Blown foglight bulb (was working the night before!!) and excessive movement in a front strut top mount.

So ive decided to drop the front subframe and get some more stuff out the way while im in there doing the top mounts.

Subframe is currently outside with the rubber bushes slowly burning away.

I was going to put my front coilovers on but the strut insert diameter is larger on the new housings I have, so that will have to wait. For now ive just fitted some standard lowering springs, will see how that works out later. New 034 track density topmounts are in there.

Oh yeah, the back end was real twitchy with the "heavy" springs on the rear, no surprises there but was a bit of a shock how different it feels.

Sooo, once the bushes are cooked, im gonna fit the solid mounts and throw it back in along with the 26mm (s2) Front anti roll bar I have lying around. Standard CQ one is 25mm btw.

May post up some pics later if anyones interested.
                          1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

very interested!
                            What front springs did you opt for?

Comment

Hi Kieron,

Sounds like you have been busy since we met,defiantly post some photos!
                              Would be gud to see some photos of them sub-frame bushes fitted??
                              Hope they fitted ok!

Cheers

Kev

Comment

Don't diss the standard shocks, still using those on my coupe

How did you get on with the 034 top mounts?

Comment

Working...
                                X