No announcement yet.

B3 Coupe quattro 32V V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought the mounts on the gearbox would stop the engine rocking back and forth, but like I say I'll give it a try and see what happens. I have both the poly snub and bracket unit, they make for a very tight setup so will soon find out.

Comment

Not sure about the snub mount being the culprit here, as stiglet said with the solid engine mounts its practically redundant, in fact it says on the 034 website that with soild mounts on the engine and 'box you can remove the snub completely.

How much is a steering damper nowadays? Im expecting it to be silly money....

Stiglet, theres nothing loose underneath, everythng was replaced with new hardware from audi at great expense, all torqued to spec and check tightened earlier this week.

Arrrghh.

Anybody care to guess what its worth as it is? And in parts?
      1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

I managed to track down a Boge replacement for the steering damper, got the part number at work i'll post it up tomorrow.... someone quoted my ÂŁ30 IIRC, and GSF should be able to get it in for you.

If i was you i'd get some new dampers first off, convinced that is the source of all your handling problems, yours sound royally f**ked
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Yeah, dampers must be fooked.....

If the steering dampers around ÂŁ30 then ill definitely consider changing that.

Im on the lookout for some used konis/bilsteins on here, if not might buy new boge ones from gsf.

Anyone bought S2 shocks from GSF? they dont seem to be listed on their site, nothing S2 specific anyway.

Gave the car a wash earlier too, noticed a few things.....

Heres the full list of cosmetic troubles:

deep scratch on front bumper offisde, continuing onto front wing
          bumper detached at same place, bolt hole in bumper is now a cracked slot, and the rivnut inside the wing isn't there any more
          front windscreen is fogging at the edges on both sides
          some paint bubbling on A pillars indicating rust underneath
          tiny bit of bubbling / rust on front nearside wheel arch
          lower door trims curling / detached at the ends
          lower front grill missing (probably still wrapped around the cat I hit a while back)
          needs a good polish.

Other than thats shes a pearl.... haha.

Im seriously temped to buy a Focus ST170, they're silly money nowadays and I had a focus a while back and they're great fun to drive.

Hmmmm.
          1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Which alloys did you fit from ebay? What offset ad size are you running? Have you changed top mounts, wishbone bushes or subframe bushes?
            Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

The alloys were second hand from a coupe on ebay. Theyre ET37 I think. They just clear the tie rod end with 225/45 tyres.
              They're wolfrace TSW Hockenheim clones.

And ive replaced wishbone bushes, subframe bushes and top mounts
              1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

are the bushes you have used standard or poly's?
                Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

He's using 034 Bushes, a mixture of Ally and delrin.

I think Alex is right and your crashing out is a knackered damper. If you want a cheap solution (and in my opinion best setup for road, even with lowering springs) use stock items.

Comment

Righto chaps.

I found the source of my horrid wheel shaking. It was indeed a knackered damper, was completely blown. Oil all over the wheel well, running down the strut leg. Took it of the car and the damper falls under its own weight, and you can stroke it with hardly and resistance at all.

Sourced a set of Konis from AndyP on here, swapped them all over in about 3 hours including fitting the coilovers to the front.

All I can say is wow, its like another car. I still need to get everything aligned properly but it grips like the proverbial.... you know the rest.

And the best part is how balanced the car is now. I put the stiffer 350 lb springs on the rear, and up front they are 275lb i think, along with the bigger 26mm S2 anti roll bar.

I did a few late night roundabout tests, large(3 lanes, 15-20m) flat and smooth. The car grips and corners hard, very little body roll and will go round all day in the high 50s, if you start to press on, there is no understeer, just the back end of the car starts to slide out nice and smoothly, it so predictable. Its fantastic!

Also did a little bit of body work since last time I posted. I refitted the front bumper which was hanging down on the drivers side due to a scrape earlier in its life which ripped out the two rivnuts in the wing. I had to make up a couple of brackets that I rivetted to the wing, as the original holes for the rivnut had rotten away so I cut them out. Its not very pretty from inside, but the bumper is now solidly fixed on again and aligned. Wooo.

My only pet peave at the moment is the coilovers on the front are a bit noisy, but Ill get used to it, its not a quiet car anyways.

Peace out.
                    1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

• Damb i like being right
                      Great news mate and glad its sorted and you're enjoying the car

How did you get on with that steering damper BTW?
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Glad you like them, they were brilliant on smooth roads, but unfortunatley there arn't enough of them around here.
                        sigpic
                        1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                        1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                        1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

• Didnt bother with the steering damper in the end. I gave the rack a bit of adjustment on the preload, that helped a bit, but the shake has gone completely now the shocks are changed.

Just need a proper motor now. Or some radical weight loss. haha.
                          1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

• lumpy cams and throttle bodies

I think I'm going to order up one of those Boge replacement steering dampers and see if it does indeed fit as hoped
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Hells yeah, one day. That would mean needing another car though...... Haha.
                              1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

• mmh, 300bhp 7a is in my dreams *Drool*:corey::corey:

One thing i've learned we are way behind the Scandinavians!

Comment

Working...
                                X