No announcement yet.

3b s2 coupe resurrection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just fired her up three times, and switched off.

First time spun slightly longer than normal, but not excessive, straight to life and idle.

Second time longer spin, slow start and a little bounce before stabilisng.

Third time spun longer, slight throttle to kick it into life, couple of idle bounces then stable.

My dad did point out the fuel will be pretty useless after this amount of time.

Might just need fresh fuel, and a good italian tune up
    Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
    Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• timing is out.

I usually use 5th gear for pushing the car back / forwards.

Lock the flywheel and turn the cam pulley with the belt off to change your timing
      Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

• Roll forwards onto the marks with a 3b to take up backlash in the dizzy drive

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

• She looks awesome on the BBS mate
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Thanks gents!

So back in the garage and turning the wheels forward

This (line with a 0 beside it in line with the bottom of the hole in the bellhousing)

Gives this

Which looks like half a tooth out?

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• I don't think it's possible to be half a tooth out How about the dizzy marks now? do they look right?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

• I can think of a way, but not going there yet.

The -0 should be on the bottom edge of the hole?

Like so

Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter View Post

If I roll it forward and stop on the cam gear

I am just above the bottom of the hole

She fired straight up to move into the garage.

I removed the IM earths, sanded to shiny and sprayed with contact cleaner.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Not been at the dizzy yet, had enough for today.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• MOT passed

I siphoned half a tank of fuel out last night (gave it to my mates wee brother, who was very happy), taking it down to just above the red, and added 45 litres of fresh fuel.

Drove her to the MOT this morning, very strange to drive after DD a van, or other tdi, very stiff, low and pointy feeling

Tried WOT twice on the way to the MOT station, pulled hard to 15psi, then hesitating.

The car would not idle when I dropped her off, so unplugged the ISV, and it would idle roughly.

Passed emissions with

CO 2.62% (limit 3.5%)
                    HC 1166ppm (limit 1200ppm )

Advisories on

Front ARB drop links slight play
                    Front and rear subframe corrosion, but not seriously weakened
                    Front strut top mounts slight play (surprise)
                    Tyres close to legal limit

With help from family members to get all the required documents whilst I was at work my Dad went to the post office to get a tax disc, so she is road legal!

Driving home I experimented a bit more.

Wot pull from 1000rpm, pulls as normal until 3-4k, at which point it holds back, and fufufufufufufufu noise, does not rev higher unless you back off, mega rich (dad following). If you go part throttle she will pull cleanly through the rev range, if you go WOT at higher rpm, again hesitates.

Feels like a mega boost leak, loss of metered air, hence runs rich under boost?

Codes pulled tonight (ISV unplugged)

So going to boost leak test tonight, and see where that gets us.

Going to order oil cooler (forum DIY mg? one), plugs, lambda, coolant sensor? knock sensors? coolant, oil and filter, just so that is all in good fettle.

Really happy its on the road, much easier to work on/diagnose, also feels great to have on the road again after so long/so much work.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Congrats. A few niggly things to sort out, but I am sure you can do it. I had the fufufufufu sound too when I took the coupe out first, and yea it was a boost leak.
                      Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

• Congratulations on the MOT pass mate!

Nice selection of fault codes, must be a bit frustrating not being able to floor it. Not sure where I'd start but leak testing can't be a bad idea, poor idling is indicitive of an air leak.

I'm sure you'll get it sorted with a bit of head scratching, it'll be well worth it.
                        1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                        1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                        1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                        1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• Well done mate, you've beat me to it
                          Must be a good feeling! I guess you have just gone straight to fully synth having reused the original rings?
                          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Yeeeehaaa. Well done man. Glad it's on the road again. Hopefully you can get the wee things sorted but at least you can drive it about to help find issues.

Comment

• Thanks guys

Alex, I might have it MOTd first, but its a lot more rough and ready than yours Yup, proper oil straight in, though I am going to change oil/filter just in case as its cheap insurance, also might have filled it with fuel getting it to start etc.

Leak tested tonight, FPR vac line had blown off, and I had left one of the TB jubilee clips loose when I re torqued the head studs Was holding 20psi from the front of the cam cover to intake manifold, slow leak down through engine.

Took it out again, same result, I can get up to 17psi at 3000rpm ish for a couple of pulls, then it feels like a soft limiter, back off the throttle/boost and she pulls cleanly, then only about 5psi or so.

I need to add another valve to my leak tester maf plug, getting a massive air leak from the turbo area, but everything is rather hot now to play with.

Will leak test again tomorrow.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Cheers Martin, yeah so glad it passed, much easier to test.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Working...
                                X